Author Topic: IMDb's Top 250 Films Which I Haven't Seen  (Read 64015 times)

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
Re: IMDb's Top 250 Films Which I Haven't Seen
« Reply #60 on: April 12, 2010, 05:37:35 PM »
Anyway, top 10 all-time for me.

Me too.  We might be the only ones left...

Also, as to the Frank Fitts character, you have to recognize the fact that he is a closeted gay man.
Yea, I was wondering about that but thought I might just be reading into things.

eh? I didn't think the end of the film left any ambiguity about that!!
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #61 on: April 12, 2010, 05:41:11 PM »
Also, as to the Frank Fitts character, you have to recognize the fact that he is a closeted gay man.
Yea, I was wondering about that but thought I might just be reading into things.

eh? I didn't think the end of the film left any ambiguity about that!!
[/quote]I thought He was just trying to see if he was gay. When he seemed cool about it I assumed that meant the Fitts character though he was gay and then decided to kill him.

But sam doesn't know much about these kinds of things.

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #62 on: April 13, 2010, 01:46:54 PM »
Forrest Gump

My reviews are like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

Always go back and forth about whether this film is a revolting, worshipful sketch of all the Baby Boomer myths or a slap at a generation telling them that they are not nearly as special as they think they are.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #63 on: April 13, 2010, 02:21:01 PM »
Forrest Gump

Always go back and forth about whether this film is a revolting, worshipful sketch of all the Baby Boomer myths or a slap at a generation telling them that they are not nearly as special as they think they are.

I really never saw the movie as that. To me it's a movie about the way the world around us changes even when we are completely oblivious about it. Everything moves and grows and dies and is reborn. Ultimately it's as Forrest Gump once said, "Shit happens." Shit does happen, and it's amazing to think that we are but a small piece of a constantly evolving world. I sometimes look back at how the world has changed in just the last ten years. Ten years ago nobody would have believed that an attack like 9/11 could happen. Less than ten years ago people told Steve Jobs that the iPod was a pointless device. Ten years ago it was only a fantasy for the black community that they might see a black president in their lifetime. The world changes, and Forrest Gump is a celebration of just that, and of how each person wades through it all.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

PJ Martinez

« Reply #64 on: April 13, 2010, 02:26:22 PM »
Forrest Gump

Depends which boomers you're talking about, I think. I haven't seen it in a while, but I found the movie to have a morality tale aspect that grated: antiwar protester is a jerk who belittles genuine war heroes; hippie girlfriend gets AIDS; and the lovable hero himself seems like a celebration of know-nothingness. I don't think Zemeckis cares about this stuff too much (it doesn't come through in his other movies, that I've seen; I think he just liked the digital challenges and the story), but it's in the script for sure.

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #65 on: April 13, 2010, 02:58:38 PM »
The world changes, and Forrest Gump is a celebration of just that,
I see the film as the opposite. The hero is a representation of a fantasy pre-60s Norman Rockwell America. Gump may interact with landmarks of the era but the film is a repackaging of Baby Boomer culture and music as a product divorced from the conflict and trauma that produced much of it. The film sells counterculture icons but is intensely conformist. I don't think the film celebrates change at all.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #66 on: April 13, 2010, 03:00:44 PM »
Forrest Gump

I really never saw the movie as that. To me it's a movie about the way the world around us changes even when we are completely oblivious about it. Everything moves and grows and dies and is reborn. Ultimately it's as Forrest Gump once said, "Shit happens." Shit does happen, and it's amazing to think that we are but a small piece of a constantly evolving world. I sometimes look back at how the world has changed in just the last ten years. Ten years ago nobody would have believed that an attack like 9/11 could happen. Less than ten years ago people told Steve Jobs that the iPod was a pointless device. Ten years ago it was only a fantasy for the black community that they might see a black president in their lifetime. The world changes, and Forrest Gump is a celebration of just that, and of how each person wades through it all.

yeah - though this falls into my later interpretation.  people who live through extraordinary times are not necessarily extraordinary people. Of course at this point in history all times are extraordinary - this causes an interesting dillema in itself.  

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #67 on: April 13, 2010, 03:20:55 PM »
Dave Kehr think it's satire, but he's totally in the bag for Zemeckis.

I think it's crap.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #68 on: April 13, 2010, 03:22:41 PM »
I see the film as the opposite. The hero is a representation of a fantasy pre-60s Norman Rockwell America. Gump may interact with landmarks of the era but the film is a repackaging of Baby Boomer culture and music as a product divorced from the conflict and trauma that produced much of it. The film sells counterculture icons but is intensely conformist. I don't think the film celebrates change at all.

The world changes. And the people in it change in different ways. It isn't about the change itself, but about how we as people experience it. Sometimes big events are staring us in the face and we don't see them for what they are, and sometimes we recognize the importance of history as it happens, but that's far more rare.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #69 on: April 13, 2010, 03:33:00 PM »

The world changes. And the people in it change in different ways. It isn't about the change itself, but about how we as people experience it. Sometimes big events are staring us in the face and we don't see them for what they are, and sometimes we recognize the importance of history as it happens, but that's far more rare.

heh, when the news and twitter and the blogs and the radio and tv and everyone else tells us that this is a big important moment i think we recognize it just fine.