Author Topic: May 2010 MDC Write Ups: Animation  (Read 11045 times)

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
Re: May 2010 MDC Write Ups: Animation
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2010, 11:33:10 AM »
Alex: Sorry you didn't care for Paprika.  Almost everything you didn't like about it, I loved.  I struggled a bit, because I knew it wasn't for everyone.  Oh well.

tinyholidays: I really love The Iron Giant because of the humor and because Hogarth and the Giant are just too awesome.  I don't mind a little preaching.  I've been known to do it myself, occasionally.  Awesome movie.

Sam: I am stunned.  I can't even imagine reading the film as you did.  As far as the color of her pants, ferris had the same problem, and I can see that as an error-- but I think it has to do with the washed-out color of the whole post-apocalyptic world.  I think that washed out look mostly worked.  I have to say, I love this movie-- everything about it.  I just don't get your review.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2010, 11:40:43 AM »
The Incredible Mr. Limpet

I remember watching this as a teen and finding it okay entertainment, but nothing great.  Watching it recently, however, I find that I was mostly bored and little offended. 

They kept trying for humor that just wasn't there.  The animation was, at best, nothing spectacular.  The acting, except for Don Knotts, was awful.  But in the end, it was the script that really failed.  Why does this movie scan like Loony Tunes WWII propaganda, except without the humor?  The war was over for 19 years!  And why did he turn into a fish?  He was focused on the science of fish, okay, but what happened?  Give me an explanation, a fairy godmother, something!  And Don Knotts was great-- but why did they not give him a single funny thing to do?  And they began the movie hinting at recent events, which they never explained at all. 

Sorry, Steven, I was deeply disappointed.  2/5
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

tinyholidays

• Elite Member
  • It's a hard world for little things.
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2010, 12:56:36 PM »
The Secret of NIMH
dictated by tinyholidays

It's been ten of fifteen years since I've seen it either, Tg. I do remember loving the sequences with Mrs. Frisby and the rats and feeling like there really was an element of danger that the story cultivated and then paid off on. Glad you didn't hate it!  :)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2010, 04:39:06 PM »
Akira (Katsuhiro Ôtomo, 1988)

When I first watched Akira I was in my mid-teens. It didn't make much sense to me at the time and I figured that was because I had been so enamoured with the visuals I stopped paying attention to the complex story. Now some ten years later I'm giving it a second chance.

"This time" I told myself, "I will not lose focus. This time I will not be distracted. This time I will remember every detail and figure out what Akira is about". And so I watched. I've now come to a conclusion about this film. It's a complete mess. The final act is a train wreck. Does it mean anything? I'm sure it's supposed to, I get the sense it's trying to convey some big ideas, but I don't have a clue what they might be. It's like playing connect the dots without numbers telling you what order to connect them in.

It's a horse.

So anyways, I'll leave Akira to the dream readers and interpretive types.

The movie does have one thing going for it though. The animation is off-the-charts good. Maybe the best I've seen (and will ever see, since the hand-drawn stuff seems to be dying off). You can sample it here.

Thanks 'Noke.

IMDB link

Steven O. Selsnik

• Elite Member
  • I don't mind a parasite.Iobject to a cut-rate one
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2010, 10:09:26 AM »
Apologies to THATguy. Nausicca of the Valley was Nausicca of Where the Hell Did That DVD Go until this morning.

It will be watched as soon as the NBA Finals, Stanley Cup, and my daughters softball games will allow. For sure by this weekend.

Sorry for the delay.

love