Author Topic: April 2010 MDC Write-Ups: Best of the Decade  (Read 28681 times)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
Re: April 2010 MDC Write-Ups: Best of the Decade
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2010, 09:15:12 PM »
I fear he either does not know me very well yet or he still holds out hope that my inner child will one day burst from my chest ala Alien and take control of my body.
It's the latter. One of these days.  ;)

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2010, 09:42:25 PM »
If you loved WTWTA you will love this film.
I didn't like WTWTA, but I loved this film. :)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2010, 09:54:52 PM »
How did I miss all the Treeless Mountain love?

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2010, 01:48:17 PM »
Treeless Mountain (Korea, 2008)

If you loved WTWTA you will love this film.

Well, that works for me-- I loved both films.  But as we can see, that isn't necessarily true for everyone.  Films about childhood are mixed up with our own feelings about children and childhood in general, as well as our own.  We have to believe in the perspective of the child being given to us.  I believed in both of these films, as well as Tideland (which certainly puts me in the minority). 
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2010, 01:55:45 PM »
This was my dictation from Sam this month and I fear he either does not know me very well yet or he still holds out hope that my inner child will one day burst from my chest ala Alien and take control of my body. I am the guy who didn't really like WTWTA and who doesn't really like most animation or other films aimed at children. I keep my inner child locked in my root cellar.  ;)
Treeless Mountain, clearly, isn't aimed at children, so are you saying, basically, you don't like films for, about, or related to children? Is it the child actors you don't like? Just trying to figure out your psyche/tastes. :)  What about Ratcatcher?

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2010, 02:08:50 PM »
This was my dictation from Sam this month and I fear he either does not know me very well yet or he still holds out hope that my inner child will one day burst from my chest ala Alien and take control of my body. I am the guy who didn't really like WTWTA and who doesn't really like most animation or other films aimed at children. I keep my inner child locked in my root cellar.  ;)
Treeless Mountain, clearly, isn't aimed at children, so are you saying, basically, you don't like films for, about, or related to children? Is it the child actors you don't like? Just trying to figure out your psyche/tastes. :)  What about Ratcatcher?

You are trying to get me lynched OAD. :D

Ok I will admit it, I dont find children interesting at all. In fact they are pretty boring. Therefore, films from a child's perspective are equally boring. The messages in children's films are all so basic and morally black and white. I also dont think children have much interesting to say so a film from their perspective is equally boring.

This is basically why I dont like films aimed at children or from a child's perspective.

Let me say I realize I am in the minority and most people love all things about kids. I am fine with that and I am glad people like having kids. I just wont be one of them.

[braces for the hate avalanche]

P.S. I LOVED Morrven Caller and was really looking forward to seeing Ratcatcher till you brought it up in this discussion. :( Now I am a little worried.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 02:10:33 PM by Clovis8 »

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2010, 02:17:14 PM »
I've never understood your stance that the world of a child is black and white, the worldview of as child is just as ambiguous and unwieldy as that of an adult, and because of this children are just as complicated, if not more so, than adults. Filmmaking that tackles this, the works of Miyazaki are some of the best examples, show how incredibly vibrant, full of life and complicated children and the way they view the world usually can be.

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2010, 02:26:32 PM »
I've never understood your stance that the world of a child is black and white, the worldview of as child is just as ambiguous and unwieldy as that of an adult, and because of this children are just as complicated, if not more so, than adults. Filmmaking that tackles this, the works of Miyazaki are some of the best examples, show how incredibly vibrant, full of life and complicated children and the way they view the world usually can be.

Nobody can seriously argue that the worldview of a child is more complex than an adult. Films about/for children are nearly always about basic morality; be nice, listen to your parents, the golden rule etc. I learned these things when I was a child and dont find discussions of them interesting.

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2010, 02:29:41 PM »

Nobody can seriously argue that the worldview of a child is more complex than an adult. Films about/for children are nearly always about basic morality; be nice, listen to your parents, the golden rule etc. I learned these things when I was a child and dont find discussions of them interesting.

Yes, people can, and I have, argue that the worldview of a child is more complex than that of an adult. And no, films about/for children aren't always about basic morality, once again I would point you to the works of Miyazaki, as well as the works of Pixar, or films like Finding Neverland, Ratcacther (and many others) and even though I know you will disagree, Where The Wild Things are for movies about/for children that don't take this view.

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2010, 02:34:35 PM »

Yes, people can, and I have, argue that the worldview of a child is more complex than that of an adult. And no, films about/for children aren't always about basic morality, once again I would point you to the works of Miyazaki, as well as the works of Pixar, or films like Finding Neverland, Ratcacther (and many others) and even though I know you will disagree, Where The Wild Things are for movies about/for children that don't take this view.

I am not going to argue with you Bill but I really doubt the vast majority of people who love kids films would ever argue that a child's worldview is more complex than that of the adult world, if only for the simple fact that children simply know less about the world.

love