Author Topic: Marathons: General Discussion  (Read 27180 times)

Corndog

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
Marathons: General Discussion
« on: April 14, 2010, 09:48:01 PM »
I've been wondering if there was a thread like this in this sub forum and if there is then correct me, but I think it'd be a good idea to just chatter in here on current marathons, past marathons and even bounce ideas around about possible future marathon ideas. So I'll start:

Despite my three current marathons (Disney will be over in Sunday) I already have two massive marathon ideas in store. Due to the massive success of my "Recovery" Happy marathon, I want to finish it and watch all the other nominees from the poll that was put up. And for some reason I have an interest in British film out of nowhere and thought I could do a BFI Top 100 marathon, most of which I have not seen. Both of these would be really large marathons, but I think they would both be great.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
Re: Marathons: General Discussion
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 09:55:53 PM »
Everybody should probably join in on my Borzage marathon. There's only three films left! See the best director you've never heard of!
Check out my blog of many topics

Im not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 09:58:25 PM »
Big group marathons are pretty rare these days.

Corndog

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 10:00:25 PM »
Big group marathons are pretty rare these days.

Let's do it! What's the topic?

I tried to do it with the Disney, but ended up splitting off.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 10:03:48 PM »
I'd like to do another marathon, but I"m struggling with what to do.  I'd love to do a Top 100+ marathon similar to 1SO's Top of the Decade marathon, but I don't know if I can commit to it.  Sounds like a lot of time involved. 

But I also want an excuse to watch all of Kurasawa and Kieslowski.  Marathons would be good for that, too.  I'm pretty sure I can do one a week.

I'll think about it.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Corndog

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 10:07:53 PM »
Kurasawa and Kieslowski Killing 'Em with Kino!

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
  • A Monkey with a Gun
    • Creative Criticism
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 10:10:52 PM »
Kieslowski can be watched in a pretty short amount of time. He's only got about 10 films.

michael x

• Elite Member
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 10:12:55 PM »
I was thinking about trying a zombie or monster marathon. Anyone done that before?

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010, 10:15:03 PM »
I think a group marathon that was quite slow (one per month) would be doable but otherwise I just have so many different directions I'd like to go in. Right now I've got my animation marathon (that should be mostly done by June), the second round of my 200X (00s) marathon which probably would start up in full after the animation marathon and take a month, and then my great directors marathon which is my huge one that could go on for ages depending on how many directors I add. Fincher is done there and M. Night won't take long to do but I'm also fitting in Miyizaki in the next two months and then Boyle once those are done. Good thing there aren't a lot of new films that I want to see coming out on DVD.

I suppose I really just need to move up to 3-discs for Netflix, though I feel bad about doing that since I have so much stuff in my Instant Queue that I could watch on the off-nights for free.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2010, 10:25:56 PM »
Kieslowski can be watched in a pretty short amount of time. He's only got about 10 films.

And I've already seen the Three Colors Trilogy, the Decalogue, and the two Short Films.  Of course, I'd have to watch them all again for the marathon.  Darn!  ;)
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky