love

Author Topic: Marathons: General Discussion  (Read 74995 times)

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
Re: Marathons: General Discussion
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2010, 12:45:22 PM »
The Importance of Being Earnest (the old one is way better, but there's a new that's ok, too)

that's the problem, it's only ok.
True, but if I hadn't seen the 1952 version or a good stage version (really, the best way to see it), I would have quite enjoyed the 2002 version.

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2010, 12:55:13 PM »
I've seen it, though I can hardly recall it, and I'm fairly sure Joe has not seen it.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2010, 07:23:16 PM »
Not sure if this post will get enough eyes to get a bite...but the Noke/Ferris joint Miyazaki marathon has me interested in a double-team marathon. I was planning on starting up a Bollywood marathon in July so if anyone else is up for some Bollywood I'd love to try out the joint marathon concept with it.

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2010, 08:18:40 PM »
Not sure if this post will get enough eyes to get a bite...but the Noke/Ferris joint Miyazaki marathon has me interested in a double-team marathon. I was planning on starting up a Bollywood marathon in July so if anyone else is up for some Bollywood I'd love to try out the joint marathon concept with it.

That's how marathons used to go around here, multiple people would participate.
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

THATguy

• Elite Member
  • Contrarian At Large.
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2010, 09:14:07 PM »
Some may have noticed that my roommate and I are on a mission from God. We are looking to find the "best rom-com" ever aka we want to watch a bunch of 'em. So far we have watched When Harry Met Sally, Youve Got Mail, and Sleepless in Seattle. I know I'm going to have him watch Annie Hall and a few others, but I need good suggestions as to what else to watch. But sorry, no Black and White, he's one of those...

Even with "no black and white", you HAVE to have It Happened One Night.  It's such a trendsetting film and easily the best romantic comedy of all time.

THATguy

• Elite Member
  • Contrarian At Large.
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2010, 09:16:32 PM »
I'd be completely down for a multiple person marathon with someone, but right now, I can't see going Bollywood... if you had another idea, Bondo, I might be down.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2010, 09:40:48 PM »
I'd be completely down for a multiple person marathon with someone, but right now, I can't see going Bollywood... if you had another idea, Bondo, I might be down.

I shall have to ponder this.

Yeah, I saw some of those. That could be fun too but I'd say the group marathon has a slightly different dynamic than a more conversational head-to-head one.

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2010, 09:47:30 PM »
Some may have noticed that my roommate and I are on a mission from God. We are looking to find the "best rom-com" ever aka we want to watch a bunch of 'em. So far we have watched When Harry Met Sally, Youve Got Mail, and Sleepless in Seattle. I know I'm going to have him watch Annie Hall and a few others, but I need good suggestions as to what else to watch. But sorry, no Black and White, he's one of those...

Even with "no black and white", you HAVE to have It Happened One Night.  It's such a trendsetting film and easily the best romantic comedy of all time.

I'll see what I can do
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

THATguy

• Elite Member
  • Contrarian At Large.
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2010, 10:06:48 PM »
If seeing it doesn't make him want to seek out other b&w rom-coms, I'd recommend a new roommate... immediately.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2010, 12:40:57 AM »

I shall have to ponder this.

Yeah, I saw some of those. That could be fun too but I'd say the group marathon has a slightly different dynamic than a more conversational head-to-head one.

I'm really tempted by this.  I'd love to be exposed to some serious Bollywood.  I only hesitate because I'm so busy and I don't want it to just feel like homework. How often do you think?  One movie a week?
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky