love

Author Topic: Marathons: General Discussion  (Read 74981 times)

Antares

• Godfather
Re: Marathons: General Discussion
« Reply #540 on: August 04, 2020, 03:16:22 PM »
I always leaned towards Noir, but now I'm wondering if Westerns hold more for me to discover?

There's definitely an endless supply of films. But, how long before the repetition and the mediocrity of most of them drives you crazy?
Masterpiece (100-91) | Classic (90-80) | Entertaining (79-69) | Mediocre (68-58) | Cinemuck (57-21) | Crap (20-0)

Knocked Out Loaded

• Elite Member
  • I might remember it all differently tomorrow.
« Reply #541 on: August 04, 2020, 03:26:44 PM »
Internal debate about tackling another genre like I've done with Horror. I always leaned towards Noir, but now I'm wondering if Westerns hold more for me to discover?
Comedy obviously is the least researched genre and we know more about Westerns thanks to the March marathons than we do about Sci-Fi. If you narrow it down I would love to learn about Police procedurals. But it is your race so whatever works.
Extraordinary (81-100˚) | Very good (61-80˚) | Good (41-60˚) | Fair (21-40˚) | Poor (0-20˚)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #542 on: August 04, 2020, 04:04:05 PM »
I always leaned towards Noir, but now I'm wondering if Westerns hold more for me to discover?

There's definitely an endless supply of films. But, how long before the repetition and the mediocrity of most of them drives you crazy?

"repetition and the mediocrity" is my main concern with both genres. The advantage with Westerns is that the genre has some sub-genres that break the formula, like frontier dramas such as Heartland (1979). Westerns also have more international possibilities, like The Tracker (2002) and The Warrior's Way (2010). Brimstone (2017) and The Salvation (2014) hint at some interesting International style. Of course it also means a big pile of Spaghetti Westerns.

Comedy obviously is the least researched genre and we know more about Westerns thanks to the March marathons than we do about Sci-Fi. If you narrow it down I would love to learn about Police procedurals. But it is your race so whatever works.

My favorite comedy is Screwball, which is an unofficial marathon I did years ago. I'm not too interested in tracking its evolution. My big reservation always with Sci-Fi are budgets that could not support screenplays until fairly recently. I will tire of fake planet sets and unusual costumes before westerns.

Police procedurals... you've struck something there. When I was starting out writing screenplays, everything I wrote was about a cop in some way. It's something I never thought of as a 'genre' but I definitely find cop stories appealing, including sub-genres like corrupt cops and homicide detectives. It's something that covers Noir but then evolves into some 1970s films I'd be interested in.
I'm off to research this. Thanks for the suggestion.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #543 on: August 18, 2020, 09:44:54 AM »
Court room dramas? Maybe there's not enough.

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #544 on: October 21, 2020, 11:14:33 PM »
I'm starting my marathon on the Black canon on the weekend. But there's another one I want to do (and I bolded the important parts if you want to skip around):

E.T. v. Filmspotters' Favored Feel-Good Films

But of course that involves the community being willing to nominate their preferred feel-good films. I don't care what genre they're a part of, i.e. comedy, musical, sci-fi, fantasy, romcom, etc., and they don't need to be of any particular genre anyway, only that they make you feel good. And also, that I haven't seen them, don't want to do any rewatches. I'm looking to view 50 titles between now and the end of 2021.

Because of my regular viewing preferences - smaller films, art house, plenty of drama with some comedies here and there - my true feel-good time is with TV shows, my rewatch of Never Have I Ever being a prime example. Even Stranger Things is, to me, pretty feel-good. I don't see enough feel-good films, so this does fit a need for sure, though I'm hoping others can get something out of this as well.

So what I'm asking is, Would you be interested in joining in on the nominating process? If there are a decent number of people that are into it, I'm going to create another thread. It won't be super officious or anything, just people recommending films, and I'll take the lead in forming the list. The ones people cosign the most will of course be the first ones that cement their place in the lineup, then I'll make some decisions along the margins on films just mentioned once to me, but it will be a group project to get together.

Once the list is made, I'll pick one name of a film from a hat every week and watch that film. During vacations, I may do it more often. I'm already doing the Black canon in order by release, this might make it a little more fun and spontaneous.

Let me know if you're in. Thanks!
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #545 on: October 21, 2020, 11:45:49 PM »
Yeah sure. I think I listed some for you a while ago.

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #546 on: October 21, 2020, 11:49:51 PM »
Yeah sure. I think I listed some for you a while ago.

Yeah, some of you have already, and I've already watched some...that really got me thinking I need more...which made me think it'd be a cool marathon to get the community involved in.
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

Teproc

• Elite Member
« Reply #547 on: October 22, 2020, 01:07:47 AM »
Sure, that sounds fun, and useful too as a resource for future recommendations.  :)
Legend: All-Time Favorite | Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Poor  |  Bad

Letterbox'd

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #548 on: October 22, 2020, 04:43:00 AM »
Ok, favoured feel good movies:

Once  - Just because
Life of Brian - For laugh brilliance
The Man Who Planted Tree - Beauty in a simple and restoring life

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #549 on: October 22, 2020, 06:10:46 AM »
I think my style of feel good is something like Lars and the Real Girl...films where communities come together to help people having a hard time. I'll check my notes and try to get a few relevant picks

love