love

Poll

Which Run Is Better

Disney (1989-1996)
12 (31.6%)
Pixar (2003-2009)
26 (68.4%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Author Topic: Early 90s Disney vs. Late 00s Pixar  (Read 6703 times)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Early 90s Disney vs. Late 00s Pixar
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2010, 03:32:31 PM »
Nothing in any Pixar movie - not even the married sequence in Up - is as emotionally effective or devestating as the moment Simba lifts up Mufasa's paw and wraps it around himself. Original story or not. It's what they do with it.

This...that scene wrecked me every time I saw it as a kid (and I watched The Lion King like 14 times in 14 days when I first got the VHS...ah summer breaks as a 12 year old).

Anyway, I was 6 when Mermaid came out and 13 by the time Hunchback came so that is a pretty core time for powerful nostalgia. I'm sorry all you fuddy-duddies were too old and cold-hearted to appreciate the magic that was the Disney movies of that era  :P Watching them now, the music if nothing else is enough to make me enjoy it more than nearly all the Pixar films.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2010, 04:03:49 PM »
I think more by how old you were when those Disney films came out.
I was in the prime age for animated films then. I was actually born in the front end, 1989, so I grew up with pretty much all the films you are talking about. I even remember The Lion King coming out on VHS.

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2010, 10:23:58 AM »
When I read the poll, I thought I'd vote Disney, but after some thought I went for Pixar.
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2010, 10:34:51 AM »
When I read the poll, I thought I'd vote Disney, but after some thought I went for Pixar.

Boo-urns

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2010, 10:38:57 AM »

Boo-urns

What's the 'urns' part?
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

OlympicArtichoke

• "Well, what if the cops can't handle this, Jack?"
    • Olympic Artichoke
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2010, 10:42:50 AM »
I had to go with Pixar. I love the animation from the Disney films, but the female protagonists of a lot of the films didn't really appeal to me when I was a boy (when the films were coming out).
"I'm sort of my own Mafia, you know, breaking my own knees" - John Cassavetes

"That's all we do, isn't it - look at things and try new drinks?"

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2010, 11:13:53 AM »

Boo-urns

What's the 'urns' part?

Boo-urns

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2010, 11:45:26 AM »
Nothing in any Pixar movie - not even the married sequence in Up - is as emotionally effective or devestating as the moment Simba lifts up Mufasa's paw and wraps it around himself. Original story or not. It's what they do with it.

This...that scene wrecked me every time I saw it as a kid (and I watched The Lion King like 14 times in 14 days when I first got the VHS...ah summer breaks as a 12 year old).

When I saw Lion King, I had just become a father a couple years before.  My son, watching with me, was clueless about what was really going on, but emotionally I was a wreck watching that scene.  I was yelling (silently) at myself: "It's a cartoon!  You are crying at a cartoon!"  But I couldn't help myself.

Since then, I've cried at many cartoons.  Many of them were Pixar.  I would want to go for Disney, if only for Lion King, and there are great parts of many of these movies.  However, Pixar wins out overall, in my opinion.

My list:

Wall-E
Finding Nemo
Lion King
Up
Beauty and the Beast
Aladdin
Cars
Ratatouille
Hunchback of Notre Dame
The Incredibles
The Little Mermaid

Haven't seen all of Pocahontas.  This is not to say that I don't think they are all excellent films.  They all (except Little Mermaid) get 4 or 5 stars from me.  But if we compare them like this...  :)

"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2010, 11:51:08 AM »
This is really close for me, but Pixar gets my vote by a smidgen.

frantastical

« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2010, 02:42:19 PM »
I think more by how old you were when those Disney films came out.
I was in the prime age for animated films then. I was actually born in the front end, 1989, so I grew up with pretty much all the films you are talking about. I even remember The Lion King coming out on VHS.

I'm prime Disney-nostalgia age too... Was a hard vote, but I went with Disney.