Author Topic: 1SO vs. the 00s Rebuttal Marathon - Coming This Summer  (Read 16192 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
1SO vs. the 00s Rebuttal Marathon - Coming This Summer
« on: April 23, 2010, 01:22:33 AM »
Since I had so much fun with my original marathon I'm raising the stakes for this one.  And I've decided to offer a reward.

1. I'm looking for films that opened in the U.S. between 2000 and 2009.  I will also accept foreign films that went straight to DVD or have no U.S. release scheduled.

2. Post your recommendation, and state your case as to why I should consider it.  (A link to your review would be helpful.)

3. I alone will decide if you've convinced me to watch the film (or watch it again).  I encourage others to back-up suggestions with reply posts.  The person whose opinion ultimately convinces me to see the film will get the credit.  (I will be inclined to credit the original poster, but they might not be as convincing as someone who posts later.)

4. Once I agree to the film, it will go onto the main list alongside the Filmspotter receiving credit.

5. If a Filmspotter's recommendation cracks my Top 100, and ranks higher than all other contestants, your next DVD is on me.  (Up to $30 U.S. in value.)

6. The 10 with no name are widely recommended by many and nobody in particular will get credit for them.  They will be my picks.

7. I'm capping the marathon at 50 films.

8.  I expect the list will be in place and the marathon will start in July.  I may start sooner.  Either way, enrollment will remain open to persuasion until I hit 50 films or complete the marathon.

Remember, it will be easier to recommend a film I haven't seen than one I saw but didn't love.
Good Luck.  I look forward to your suggestions.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 03:21:14 PM by 1SO »
Must See  |  Should See  |  Good  |  Mixed  |  Bad

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • By any seeds necessary.
    • justAtad
Re: 1SO vs. the 00s Rebuttal Marathon - Coming This Summer
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 01:27:45 AM »
Oh my god.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

zarodinu

• Elite Member
  • What we've got here is failure to communicate
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 03:31:31 AM »
This thread puts other marathons to shame.

United Red Army

A pretty epic review by me http://www.filmspotting.net/boards/index.php?topic=7665.0

An even more epic review by flieger http://www.filmspotting.net/boards/index.php?topic=1028.msg440469#msg440469

This is a great film that truly deserves to be seen.  It is long, it is dense, it is somewhat hard to get a hold off, but it is an utterly unforgettable experience.  The reason I think you should see it, is your review of United 93 which is currently seating at #3 of the decade for you.  URA shares alot of the qualities you list for 93.  From the humanizing of both the victims and the perpetrators, to the way the director always knows when to turn the camera away when you cannot take anymore, and finally the purposeful limitations of scope in order to up both the tension and the emotional stakes.  Most importantly URA like 93 meticulously recreates the feeling of the moment in history, you are not so much watching a movie as reliving the events.  

You and I have somewhat different tastes, but I suspect you will not be left with a "meh" response.  Its a picture you will either love or hate.  Either way it deserves a shot.  
Ive lied to men who wear belts. Ive lied to men who wear suspenders. But Id never be so stupid as to lie to a man who wears both a belt and suspenders.

Verite

• Elite Member
  • Stay gold.
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 04:40:47 AM »

Since City of God is your top film of the decade and "Worth comparing to 'City of God.'" is a sentiment among many that have watched both.  Not because they're stylistically similar but because the documentary is a great companion piece in a searing double bill.
"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
  • A Monkey with a Gun
    • Creative Criticism
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 08:47:22 AM »
This marathon makes me sad.

At least you've got Pan's Labyrinth.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 09:04:38 AM »
One recommendation per person? Can I pm you a list of potentials to find out what you haven't seen before I waste my breath? :)

Sounds like fun anyways.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 09:08:56 AM »
Not an official recommendation here, have you seen these:

The Woodsman
The Barbarian Invasions
Lagaan

If not I'll build a case for one of them.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
  • A Monkey with a Gun
    • Creative Criticism
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 11:27:53 AM »
Have you seen Doubt? Junior and I might double team you on this one.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 11:39:25 AM »
Word. I could also make a good case for The Proposition.
Check out my blog of many topics

Im not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2010, 11:58:19 AM »
I know you have seen it already but I think your top 100 is lacking without....

Reasons:

1) You have claimed to love it on these boards.

2) Your current list has only one documentary!

3) Currently on your top 100 are; United 93, Into The Wild, Bloody Sunday. Films with similar sensibilities.

4) Entertainment is your first criteria for loving a film and this one is entertaining as hell. Even though the end is given away in the first 10 seconds of the film you are still riveted throughout.

5) There are some amazing action scenes in this film and it's a documentary.