Author Topic: 1SO vs. the 00s Rebuttal Marathon - Coming This Summer  (Read 29795 times)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
Re: 1SO vs. the 00s Rebuttal Marathon - Coming This Summer
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2010, 03:14:05 PM »
Have you seen:
Kung-fu Hustle
Lars and the Real Girl
Melinda & Melinda
Notes on a Scandal
Vera Drake

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2010, 05:53:49 PM »
What? Both of those animated films are fantastic, and one is maybe even better than Mr. Fox, which is high praise indeed.

You should check out Aqua Teen Hunger Force Colon Movie Film for Theaters.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2010, 11:30:03 PM »
With little persuasion needed I am adding Lagaan to the marathon.  And I love movies that humanize immoral characters so I'm now adding The Woodsman as well.  (Both credited to Bondo.)

Have you seen:

Kung-fu Hustle - I own the Blu-Ray, would easily fall between 101 and 125

Lars and the Real Girl - I liked where the film ultimately went, but it was far too precious in parts, especially in the first 10min.

Melinda & Melinda - Dull and Duller

Notes on a Scandal - Might be worth a 2nd look.  Loved the performances (especially Dench who's a WOW!), but found it to be a highbrow version of a sleazy novella.  More of a guilty pleasure.  Would have liked more depth.

Vera Drake - This might be worth trying to persuade me.  I'm really not a fan of Mike Leigh, but I liked Happy-Go-Lucky and I really like Imelda Staunton.  Here's my problem... Mike Leigh doesn't know how to edit a scene.  His scenes tend to begin when the first character enters the room and doesn't end until the last character leaves.  Topsy-Turvy really ticked me off because there was a good movie inside the 160m of uncut footage.  So, convince me that the story of Vera Drake is worth the 125min running time and I'll add it to the list.

What? Both of those animated films are fantastic, and one is maybe even better than Mr. Fox, which is high praise indeed.
This is talking at me, which isn't convincing me of anything.

And Dear God did I hate ATHFCMFFT.

What about Man Push Cart?  I liked Chop Shop and really liked Goodbye Solo.  Do you think I might like Man Push Cart the best?
And you're the big Satoshi Kon fan.
I still think Perfect Blue is his best film, though Paprika is really good.  I liked Millennium Actress okay and never saw Tokyo Godfathers.  Perfect Blue is from the 90's, but which of his other films should I watch or rewatch.  And more importantly, why would I like it so much.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2010, 12:28:18 AM »
How about Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs. I just rewatched it and it was totally charming.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2010, 12:40:25 AM »
How about Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs. I just rewatched it and it was totally charming.
I know some people like this one, but does it really have Top 100 potential?

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2010, 01:42:04 AM »
With little persuasion needed I am adding Lagaan to the marathon.  And I love movies that humanize immoral characters so I'm now adding The Woodsman as well.  (Both credited to Bondo.)

Woohoo. Between these two and Children of Men (not credited to me but as my #1 of the decade I certainly am pulling for it), I'm hoping I'll get at least one that cracks the list.

zarodinu

• Elite Member
  • What we've got here is failure to communicate
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2010, 02:06:16 AM »
Can you tell me if you watched these films:

The Return (Vozvrasheniya not the crappy horror movie)
Noi
My Winnipeg
I’ve lied to men who wear belts. I’ve lied to men who wear suspenders. But I’d never be so stupid as to lie to a man who wears both a belt and suspenders.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2010, 02:16:49 AM »

It would be in my top 100. It's that fun. Silly. But fun. Just sayin.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2010, 09:26:32 AM »

Probably not, or hopefully not. It's way pretty, but those voice actors are killers. It plays with Speed Racer sensibilities except without the charm of that film.

And if you haven't watched Man Push Cart you probably should, but I'm puzzled as to why you enjoy Chop Shop and Solo but don't care for George Washington. It's likely not as good as Chop Shop, but the pacing and performances are way better than Solo, along with the the overall story and ideas that Bahrani is addressing. You don't become the best young filmmaker by making bad films, though. You should also watch that "Plastic Bag" short film I posted in the short films thread. It becomes mighty beautiful mighty quickly.

I love Tokyo Godfathers, it's Kon's weakest film, but when you're the best animated director ever that's not really a bad thing. Paprika is his second best film. It's better than Millennium Actress anyhow, though roujin would not agree. Though I wouldn't really guess you'd care for either Perfect Blue or Paprika, so I don't know about this one. One time you should take the time to watch Paranoia Agent though since it's like Perfect Blue and Paprika except even more intense and fully fleshed out since it's a TV show.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2010, 09:30:02 AM »
Can you tell me if you watched these films:

The Return (Vozvrasheniya not the crappy horror movie)
Noi
My Winnipeg
I know little about The Return.

Somebody fairly new to the forum (Darci?) has been going on about Noi, but I haven't seen it.

Not a big Guy Maddin fan.  Love his short "The Heart of The World".  Seem to tire of his style quickly in long form. Seen Saddest Music and Brand Upon The Brain, both of which I wanted to end about 30min in.  I respect him a lot, but I don't care for the films.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 12:01:29 PM by 1SO »