Author Topic: 1SO vs. the 00s Rebuttal Marathon - Coming This Summer  (Read 29791 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: 1SO vs. the 00s Rebuttal Marathon - Coming This Summer
« Reply #150 on: May 12, 2010, 04:33:50 PM »
I like Broken Lizard more than I like their movies.  Beerfest might be my favorite, not Super Troopers.

Syndromes and A Century - I just didn't get what I was watching.  And I'll be honest, it really bugs me when I don't get a movie.  (See my review of Inland Empire.)  But there was no mystery hooking me in.  Nothing that made me WANT to figure it out, except for the fact that you all seem to get it and love it.

Also some more animation:
The Emperor's New Groove-- Not as funny as the Pixar stuff. 

Hoodwinked-- I thought it was shoddy, poorly put together

Persepolis-- Everything I wanted from this, I finally got from Waltz With Bashir.  This was okay, but I constantly felt like I was on the outside.

zarodinu

• Elite Member
  • What we've got here is failure to communicate
« Reply #151 on: May 12, 2010, 04:47:17 PM »
The Believer, 13 tzametti, and Ghost World are three good films I haven't heard mentioned before.
I’ve lied to men who wear belts. I’ve lied to men who wear suspenders. But I’d never be so stupid as to lie to a man who wears both a belt and suspenders.

chardy999

• Elite Member
« Reply #152 on: May 13, 2010, 05:21:21 AM »
Persepolis-- Everything I wanted from this, I finally got from Waltz With Bashir.  This was okay, but I constantly felt like I was on the outside.

Hmmm, you can't really look for historical enlightenment in Persepolis. It uses the Iran history as a backdrop for a coming-of-age tale. I really liked it as simply that and think the comparison with Waltz With Bashir, which has different goals, is a bit clumsy.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
- Groucho Marx

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #153 on: May 13, 2010, 08:59:53 AM »
I was trying to quickly find a pithy way to say 'no'.  And this certainly isn't the first time I've been called 'clumsy' with my words.

chardy999

• Elite Member
« Reply #154 on: May 13, 2010, 10:54:32 AM »
Well slow it. This will become overwhelminging otherwise. I'm dead serious.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
- Groucho Marx

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #155 on: May 16, 2010, 05:28:52 PM »
Did you ever catch up with Gus Van Sant's film Gerry, 1SO? I recall you thought pretty highly of GVS, so maybe this would be a good opportunity to catch up with yet another one of his completely different films. For myself, I've never seen anything quite like it. It's really not my type of film, but when it was over I did not hate it. I think that says something.

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #156 on: May 16, 2010, 06:38:12 PM »
What about?

Elephant
Howl's Moving Castle
Assassination of Jesse James
Last Days
Triplets of Belleville
Le Monde Vivant
Etre Et Avoir
Inside Man
Public Enemies
Moon
In The Mood For Love

Sorry if I'm repeating some already brought up. I'll think of more later
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 07:23:04 PM by 'Noke »
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #157 on: May 17, 2010, 12:08:36 PM »
I'm out of town, so I need to keep this short.

The only 2 I haven't seen (or even heard of) are...
Le Monde Vivant
Etre Et Avoir

Please tell me more.  I'll pick this back up when I get back into town next week Tuesday.  I will say that I have not been a fan of GVS's minimalist output.  Elephant is the only one that absorbed me.  I really appreciated what he was trying, and I think it did wonders when he utilized some of the techniques in Milk.  But I don't wish to revisit any of them.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #158 on: May 17, 2010, 12:14:32 PM »
Just thought I'd mention here that if any of the films in this marathon (that I haven't seen) crack 1SO's top 100 of the decade, they automatically qualify for my 200X marathon seeing as the second wave there is structured around the entries into his top 100 I hadn't seen (now bolstered with entries from a few other filmspotter lists over in the BoD threads).

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #159 on: May 17, 2010, 12:19:36 PM »
I will say that I have not been a fan of GVS's minimalist output.  Elephant is the only one that absorbed me.  I really appreciated what he was trying, and I think it did wonders when he utilized some of the techniques in Milk.  But I don't wish to revisit any of them.
Okay, better skip it.