love

Author Topic: Ferris' Classics Marathon: 20 Essential Vitamins and Minerals  (Read 34139 times)

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
Re: Ferris' Classics Marathon: 20 Essential Vitamins and Minerals
« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2010, 05:50:30 PM »
Holding off on A+ just to be sure I don't water the A+ down in this marathon full of Epics

What! In my recent marathons my 4 star has taken a beating and I love it. Step up.

LOL!

Well, I go by feel, and despite my praise for this it still "feels" just short of A+.  It's the kind of film that needs a rewatch to be sure. 
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2010, 05:52:07 PM »
Big praise. I'm interested.

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2010, 05:54:07 PM »
I liked Reds, but I was held back from loving it because of the Keaton/Beatty relationship. I loved the historical nature of the film, but their love story felt so Hollywood and forced, and every time it shoehorned into my history I wanted it go away, far, far away and allow me to get back to the awesome stuff.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2010, 05:59:19 PM »
I liked Reds, but I was held back from loving it because of the Keaton/Beatty relationship. I loved the historical nature of the film, but their love story felt so Hollywood and forced, and every time it shoehorned into my history I wanted it go away, far, far away and allow me to get back to the awesome stuff.

We'll have to agree to disagree.

Funny because I'm not a big Keaton guy - I think her modern performances are nearly unwatchable ("As Good as It Gets", etc) and she didn't particularily stand out to me in The Godfather films.  Here she was pitch perfect...
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2010, 06:01:32 PM »
Funny because I'm not a big Keaton guy - I think her modern performances are nearly unwatchable ("As Good as It Gets", etc) and she didn't particularily stand out to me in The Godfather films.  Here she was pitch perfect...

I haven't seen much of her modern work, or any I think, but I have loved her in every Woody Allen film I've seen her in and thought she was good in the Godfather films. I didn't really have a problem with her in Reds, or with Beatty, but with their love story.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2010, 06:03:19 PM »

I haven't seen much of her modern work, or any I think, but I have loved her in every Woody Allen film I've seen her in and thought she was good in the Godfather films. I didn't really have a problem with her in Reds, or with Beatty, but with their love story.

Oh I totally forgot about Annie Hall!  Whoops!  hmmm....still gotta go Reds as the better performance.

As for the love story - fair enough - it was more than enough to work for me. 
(switchboard)

maņana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2010, 06:21:29 PM »
I liked Reds a lot. Watching it last year reminded me of a mythical time when Diane Keaton wasn't awful. And the romance totally worked for me; when they're reunited at the train station, major allergy attack.

Hey ferris, both Reds and The Passion of Joan of Arc made my 2009 discoveries. Too bad Passion didn't do it for you.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2010, 06:26:24 PM »
I liked Reds a lot. Watching it last year reminded me of a mythical time when Diane Keaton wasn't awful. And the romance totally worked for me; when they're reunited at the train station, major allergy attack.

Hey ferris, both Reds and The Passion of Joan of Arc made my 2009 discoveries. Too bad Passion didn't do it for you.

So was Clifford!!!  :o

(jk - loved looking through that list again)
(switchboard)

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #48 on: May 07, 2010, 05:41:25 PM »
I'm watching Fitzcaraldo this afternoon, which I have very high hopes for.  It made me wonder where I thought it'd rank among the 20.  So I thought I'd do an experiment and guess where I'd have everything ranked by the end of this marathon - just to see how good I did.  Of course, by doing this I risk the self-fulfilling prophecy (which means I'll probably over-correct for that).

Anyways- here's my projected rankikngs:
==============================
1. Paris Texas
2. Fitzcaraldo
3. Reds*
4. Do The Right Thing
5. Three Colors: Blue
6. The 400 Blows
7. Days of Heaven
8. The Apartment
9. 12 Angry Men
10. Chinatown
11. The Bicyle Thief
12. The Sting
13. Double Indemnity
14. The Third Man
15. North by Northwest
16. Goodbye Mr Chips
17. Seven Samarai
18. Blue Velvet
19. The Passion of Joan of Arc*
20. Sunrise: Song of Two Humans

*already saw
(switchboard)

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #49 on: May 07, 2010, 06:53:06 PM »
I hope you're drastically wrong about some of those. :D

love