love

Author Topic: Ferris' Classics Marathon: 20 Essential Vitamins and Minerals  (Read 34125 times)

maņana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
Re: Ferris' Classics Marathon: 20 Essential Vitamins and Minerals
« Reply #100 on: May 30, 2010, 06:14:22 PM »
That's too bad. There are a number of classic noirs (Out of the Past for instance) that don't really do it for me, but I've always thought Double Indemnity was pretty darn entertaining.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #101 on: May 30, 2010, 10:56:05 PM »
It's a good film and a good example of noir. 

But please, ferris, don't give up on 50's noir until you've seen The Third Man.  Fantastic!  It's actually '49, buy you might accidentally lump it in with other noir you didn't care for.  DON'T!

"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

flieger

« Reply #102 on: May 30, 2010, 11:04:21 PM »
ferris, just out of curiosity, what film noir have you seen?

michael x

• Elite Member
« Reply #103 on: May 30, 2010, 11:12:53 PM »
I'm disappointed that it didn't even engage you enough for a real review. I've watched movies like that, and it's a bummer. Double Indemnity was definitely not one of those movies for me.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #104 on: May 31, 2010, 12:53:16 AM »
I'm pretty much with you ferris. I have a lot of neo-noir that I love (Memento, Brick) but most classic noir just leaves me cold.

chardy999

• Elite Member
« Reply #105 on: May 31, 2010, 04:59:39 AM »
This is disappointing. I rewatched it a week ago in time for this review and found it just as entertaining as first time around. The elements of the plot are more important than any character arcs or feelings or any of that and the film knows this. It's the best at what it wants to be. What did you think of the structure, ferris? Well, apart from the voiceover.

On a side note, I'm not sure the genre "film-noir" is even a legitimate classification. Not just for Double Indemnity but for every other B&W film that seems to be tagged with this arbitrary label.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
- Groucho Marx

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #106 on: May 31, 2010, 08:00:30 AM »
But please, ferris, don't give up on 50's noir until you've seen The Third Man.  Fantastic!  It's actually '49, buy you might accidentally lump it in with other noir you didn't care for.  DON'T!

YES! I know it's in your marathon, but The Third Man is amazing.
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #107 on: May 31, 2010, 10:37:55 AM »
This is disappointing. I rewatched it a week ago in time for this review and found it just as entertaining as first time around. The elements of the plot are more important than any character arcs or feelings or any of that and the film knows this. It's the best at what it wants to be. What did you think of the structure, ferris? Well, apart from the voiceover.

On a side note, I'm not sure the genre "film-noir" is even a legitimate classification. Not just for Double Indemnity but for every other B&W film that seems to be tagged with this arbitrary label.

It's a good point Chardy.  I have to be careful about how I apply that label.  As for the plot vs character arcs you're very right.   And I guess it comes down to personal preference for me.  I don't find myself loving very many action or mystery films in general
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

tinyholidays

• Elite Member
  • It's a hard world for little things.
« Reply #108 on: May 31, 2010, 11:15:07 AM »

YES! I know it's in your marathon, but The Third Man is amazing.

Yes. The Third Man was instant top 20 for me. Welles is so magnetic, the tone... Well. I'll save my comments for when you watch it.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #109 on: June 08, 2010, 12:28:06 PM »

12 Angry Men
(1957, Sidney Lumet)

Implications:
(Non-Spoiler 2 sentence plot synopsis:)
Henry Fonda plays the lone dissenting voice on a jury trying an 'open and shut' murder case.  Since a jury's decision must be unanimous, the 12 men just talk through the case until consensus is reached.  The entire film takes place in the jury room, leaving the details of the case to the audience's imagination

Health Benefits
(what I liked):
Films like this make me realize I have to go watch more plays.  I love the respect this film has for it's audience.  It's basically 96 minutes of people talking, yet it is gripping, tense and thought-provoking.  How did this work so well?  First and foremost - attention to character.  We learn a little about each juror, his prejudices and motivations and how those might contribute to the tendency of mob rule.  Second, everything is left to the imagination.  Going into this I was dreading my expectation of a whole ton of flashbacks and shadowy imagery...nope!  Everything is told through the dialog - which, for the most part, flows naturally in delivering exposition.

Side Effects:
(what I didn't like)
Actually, not too much to nit-pick here, but I suppose they did make Henry Fonda a bit precious.  A lot of close up shots of his dreamy eyes.  For a minute I thought I was watching Passion of Joan of Arc again.  There were a few moments that the dialog felt a bit unnatural in its delivery of exposition, but honestly...I think you have to give 'em that.

Active Ingredients
(favorite scenes and characters)
In a film with an ensemble cast that takes place almost exclusively in a single room, it's hard to pick out specific performances and scenes, but I would like to highlight the flaws this film brings out about our jury-system.  There is much optimism with this system that allows "your peers" to be the ones that decide your fate, but with the problem of money and good lawyers, an extremely complex legal code, and the complete lack of training given to jurors, this film calls into question the very notion.  In the end I'm not sure if it's arguing that it can work, or arguing just how thin a line it can be sometimes.  Either way, it does a brilliant job calling this into question.

This medicine is like:  
(who should watch this?)
a) Castor Oil: To be shown only to Film students... as punishment[/b]
b) St John's Wart:  Works really well for some people, but I still have this rash...
c) Fish Oil: Good for you but it's a bit of a pill to swallow!
d) One-A-Day Vitamins: Recommended for anyone
e) Flinstone Chewables: Good for you and easily ingestible (and fruity flavors!)

I can see anyone watching this and liking this.  Very easy to consume, interesting story and asks questions that anyone could relate to

How soon before your next dosage?
(Chances I'll watch it again)
a) Measles Inoculation: Once should do it
b) Advil: may need a dose again from time to time
c) Viagara: Keep handy, because you never know when the mood will strike you!
d) Crack: You need it again as soon as the effects wear off...

I can see watching this straight through everytime time I catch it playing on television

So...Do I feel better now?
(other thoughts)
Yeah!  I had a feeling I'd like this. Seems like the type of film I'd like.  

Conclusion:
For a film that is 96 minutes of a bunch of white middle aged guys talking in a room, it sure is pretty great!

Grade: A

Film Rankings so far
1. Fitzcaraldo
2. Reds
3. 12 Angry Men
4. Chinatown
5. Goodbye Mr Chips
6. The Bicyle Thief
7. Double Indemnity
8. The Passion of Joan of Arc

Remaining films:
- Seven Samarai
- Paris Texas
- The 400 Blows
- Days of Heaven
- The Third Man
- Do The Right Thing
- Blue Velvet
- Three Colors: Blue
- The Sting
- The Apartment
- Sunrise: Song of Two Humans
- North by Northwest

« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 12:39:20 PM by ferris »
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)