Author Topic: Writer's Club Discussion  (Read 9980 times)

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
Re: Writer's Club Discussion
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2016, 05:28:31 AM »
So not about the process of writing which is what On Writing is for, but about discussion of original pieces of writing like stories or poems.

I think everyone should have their own thread. I assume OnWritng is mine and was a clever plot to stop me spraying thoughts all over whichever thread I happened to be in when the mood hit me. A containment policy worthy of the LAPD. BTW this a joke.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 09:19:01 AM by verbALs »
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

Paul Phoenix

• Elite Member
  • The 'Kid-Gloves' are off
    • Letterboxd Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2016, 05:41:04 AM »
I think everyone should have their own thread. I assume OnWritng is mine and was a clever plot to stop me spraying thoughts all over whichever thread I happened to be in when the mood hit me.

I'm seconding this notion. I used to delve into narrative-writing back then, so this idea suits me well... in the distant future. Nowadays, I'm just so caught up with the Top 100 Club and my own marathons that I barely have room for anything else. But it would be nice to have a thread to call my own, receiving critiques as I nurture my eternally unfinished first drafts into full-fledged stories.
"I used to think the worst thing in life was to end up all alone. It's not. The worst thing in life is ending up with people who make you feel all alone." - Lance Clayton (played by Robin Williams), World's Greatest Dad

Eternally seeking variety. 'Tis the spice of life for me.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2016, 09:12:54 AM »
That's called a blog, and you're welcome to make one. Or, at the very most the marathon threads. But the On Writing thread is, I think pretty obviously, for everybody. So is everything here, because that's what a forum is.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Paul Phoenix

• Elite Member
    • Letterboxd Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2016, 10:02:18 AM »
Nah, I think I'll just share my writing in this thread - if I could ever find the time (and more importantly, the motivation) to start writing again. A blog is like Letterboxd. I don't really bother posting in my blog because there's less certainty that it would be read there (and in turn, critiqued), since I feel that not many members here would likely take the trouble to go to another website when they belong here in the first place (unless you're a greatly popular member in the first place, of course, like MartinTeller). There's a kind of solitude posting in my blog and Letterboxd that the more publicized Filmspotting forum lacks.
"I used to think the worst thing in life was to end up all alone. It's not. The worst thing in life is ending up with people who make you feel all alone." - Lance Clayton (played by Robin Williams), World's Greatest Dad

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2016, 10:08:50 AM »
Right, that's all fine. But it's not just for you, it's for anybody who would want to avail themselves of the thread. That's how a forum works.

Paul Phoenix

• Elite Member
    • Letterboxd Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2016, 10:12:24 AM »
Right, that's all fine. But it's not just for you, it's for anybody who would want to avail themselves of the thread. That's how a forum works.

I know how a forum works. Don't need to be condescending, Junior. Calm down. You might have made admin, but I don't think I like your attitude a lot in the last few posts, in "Random Thoughts" too. It's not like many would bother with my writing anyway. The others could avail the thread as much as they want, as I am free to be avail it as much as I want. I'm part of everybody now, even if you don't like me very much. That's how a community works.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 10:28:58 AM by Hermit »

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2016, 10:44:31 AM »
I love that you're part of everybody. Haven't I expressed that over and over again? It's not you that I was talking to, at least not initially. The person I was talking to has asked me not to engage with him and in my attempt to do so it has caused this misunderstanding. I'm sorry that this has happened. We can be friends and disagree about certain things, right? I had one post in the Random Thoughts thread which just agreed with Bondo. Hasn't everything that I've written these past few days been encouraging of people doing whatever they feel like doing so long as they respect the very few rules that we have here? When I see a member declaring himself master of a thread, especially one called a "club" which he didn't start, I'm going to step in because that's my job here. And again, just to be sure, this isn't you, Hermit.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2016, 10:48:47 AM »
I agree that a personal writer's club should be held in a different place than the forum.  If it's a club on this forum, then it should be open to all.

I believe the original idea was to each person wanting to post a piece of short writing in a month and everyone agrees to review it or analyze it, without being hurtful.  Is this idea still good?  Any additions?
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Paul Phoenix

• Elite Member
    • Letterboxd Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2016, 11:07:00 AM »
I love that you're part of everybody. Haven't I expressed that over and over again? It's not you that I was talking to, at least not initially. The person I was talking to has asked me not to engage with him and in my attempt to do so it has caused this misunderstanding. I'm sorry that this has happened. We can be friends and disagree about certain things, right? I had one post in the Random Thoughts thread which just agreed with Bondo. Hasn't everything that I've written these past few days been encouraging of people doing whatever they feel like doing so long as they respect the very few rules that we have here? When I see a member declaring himself master of a thread, especially one called a "club" which he didn't start, I'm going to step in because that's my job here. And again, just to be sure, this isn't you, Hermit.

Right. I'm sorry this happened too. Forget I said anything about the Random Thoughts thread. We can disagree about things.

Just to be clear, I wasn't implying on taking over the thread by spamming my writing here.

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2016, 01:54:37 PM »
While I may not have been actively posting in any of the various writing conversations going on - I have been following them with great interest.
This is obviously a topic that generates intense emotions (as with any creative endeavor) - we just ask that before you hit send, take a breath and insure your post isn't attacking or defending that which needs neither.
Many times the mods here make generalized statements to establish or restate parameters. It's never meant to sound condescending.
Carry on now and I'll retreat back to the shadows ;)
Hey, nice marmot!