love

Author Topic: Flotsam & Jetsam: A Sailor's Marathon  (Read 26812 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: Flotsam & Jetsam: A Sailor's Marathon
« Reply #110 on: December 10, 2011, 11:15:12 PM »
The one thing I remember from Cutthroat Island is how Renny Harlin was always able to put modern day explosions into a pirate film. It seemed like they were racing through and dodging fireballs and large-scale destruction during every chase. Like the docks were built on wood filled with gunpowder and gasoline.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #111 on: December 10, 2011, 11:42:11 PM »
Haha yes, that's totally accurate!

During the finale is a good example: it isn't just an explosion on the ship, the ship itself explodes!

Did someone leave the gas on again?  :o

Cheers for reading/commenting, guys. :)

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #112 on: December 11, 2011, 06:09:24 AM »
Oh Smirnoff, what would we do without you? Wonderful review, as always. Loved this:

And finally, my personal favourite: A death defying leap that must taken months of preparation and cost millions of dollars to stage.

Aaaaand, he makes it! :)
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

Emiliana

• Elite Member
  • Life is a Cabaret!
« Reply #113 on: December 11, 2011, 12:11:49 PM »
Yes, that was my favourite part of the review as well! Nobody ever credits the stunt rats enough!  ;D

Of course the whole write-up was the kind of awesome that only smirnoff can deliver. It's a big part of what I come here for ;).

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #114 on: December 11, 2011, 03:20:13 PM »
Mate, Long Kiss Goodnight comes after the thrills of Cutthroat Island. I am going to infer both from how you said Davis' career bombed and that LKG never gets much of a mention that it isn't rated. Am I alone (I quietly hope), is LKG another Harlin stinker because I freakin' loves it. Also, Davis as a pirate captain was kind of a turn on. Then again Davis as a baseball player was sexy and Davis driving off the Grand Canyon was hot. I even stayed glued to Davis as the American Pres (another Mickey Douglas link).  One word.....Overbite.

I'm blaming Modine, one of those guys who got leading roles for some weird reason. Outside of Birdy I ain't feel in' it.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 03:40:23 PM by verbALs »
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #115 on: December 11, 2011, 07:23:54 PM »
Thanks 'Noke and Em, I'll be sure to post any further ratobatics as they come up. :)

Mate, Long Kiss Goodnight comes after the thrills of Cutthroat Island. I am going to infer both from how you said Davis' career bombed and that LKG never gets much of a mention that it isn't rated. Am I alone (I quietly hope), is LKG another Harlin stinker because I freakin' loves it. Also, Davis as a pirate captain was kind of a turn on. Then again Davis as a baseball player was sexy and Davis driving off the Grand Canyon was hot. I even stayed glued to Davis as the American Pres (another Mickey Douglas link).  One word.....Overbite.

I'm blaming Modine, one of those guys who got leading roles for some weird reason. Outside of Birdy I ain't feel in' it.

Your suspicions are correct, I'm quite unfamiliar with Long Kiss Goodnight, and until I bothered to look more closely at the post didn't even realize that it was Davis I was looking at. Blonde hair and no smile... I had a hard time recognizing her. Maybe I'll check it out. Shane Black can write fun movies. And I've got nothing against Harlin (in fact I've enjoyed a good percentage of his work), and that interview went a long way to earning my respect. He was quite humbled by Cutthroat. 5 Days of War looks the most interesting to me.

Cliffhanger
 Deep Blue Sea
 Die Hard 2

12 Rounds
 Driven
 Cutthroat Island

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #116 on: December 11, 2011, 11:56:31 PM »
Thanks for the laughs. I'm scratching my head over those action scenes. Not only does she fall from the roof, she's doing a somersault--it's mesmerizing.

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #117 on: December 12, 2011, 03:00:54 AM »
I'm recommending Long Kiss Goodnight to you then. It's a 90s action flick. It's got Sam Jackson as a seedy private eye. & Davis gets really serious. Can't see how you would't like it!
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #118 on: December 12, 2011, 08:04:54 AM »
You forgot the most important credit.

Written by Shane Black

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library