Author Topic: Tales From the Set  (Read 21860 times)

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
Re: Tales From the Set
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2010, 01:41:14 AM »
I thought I'd give you all a peek at what we're up to, so I snapped a spy photo.

Its a quick snap of the car rig I did today.  That's our ARRI 535 seated on the driver's side of the car, strapped  down with ratchet straps while the Focus Puller (1st AC) and the 2nd AC stand next to it checking the gear, and writing down footage counts and other notes since we had just finished a shot.

The light mounted on the hood of the car is a 400 Watt Joker with a softbox/Chimera mounted on the front to illuminate the cast, who are exiting the car in this shot.  This was one of the coolest shots we did on the film thus far. I got to watch from the monitor as these guys tore ass out of the set while another actor fired a 357 Magnum at them while making their escape.   Was awesome.

It was kinda a mixed bag of a day today.  On the one hand we did this shot, which looked awesome.  On the other it rained a lot, which delayed us quite a bit, and ended up forcing us to rework the schedule for tomorrow, adding things from today onto it, and moving unrehearsed material to today, but it worked out alright in the end.

One of the highlights of the day came at dusk.  I was sitting on the front porch of the above cabin, while they were shooting inside, and I saw a shadow approach the front steps.  I instantly recognized the silhouette of  Shotgun Stories star Doug Ligon.  He's friends with the filmmakers and they talked him into doing a little cameo.  I haven't seen Doug in about 6 years, so he hung around till wrap and we talked between takes,  caught up on things, and he told me stories about working on Shotgun Stories.  It was really cool to talk to him, then I found out he's crashing with us at the crew house this weekend!  I'll get to pick his brains about the film some more.  I'd really love to work with him someday, the dude's got talent and is real nice.

So, not a bad day, or at least not a terrible one!
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2010, 10:42:40 PM »
When it rains it pours...

I've been having a slow 2010, thus far.  Very little work has floated my way, until now.  I'm working on this feature, have a feature to shoot in August, if the funding comes through, which it is supposed to, and today I got offered the chance to shoot a Doc about Third World Medicine in Jamaica immediately after the film I'm on here in NC wraps.  I want to take it, but I'm kind of terrified of surgery/medicine, but that might make this an interesting opportunity, to try and overcome my personal fears and get good looking material in spite of it! 

Thoughts?

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2010, 10:51:45 PM »
I understand your fear of surgery and medicine completely. I still get icky feelings just going to the doctor. I guess it depends on how intimate you'll have to be with the subject. I assume you'll be setting up lights or shooting. If so, maybe you'll be able to distance yourself enough to where it won't be an issue. 

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2010, 11:08:10 PM »
It sounds like a pretty cool opportunity, Chris, both professionally and personally.

(I'm loving reading your tales from the set, btw!)

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2010, 03:24:30 AM »
Personally I could not film surgery stuff, I would be passed out before the first cut.

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2010, 01:29:25 AM »
When it pours it Hurricanes...

So, I've had to turn down the Jamaica job.  But it was for a good reason.  I just got hired to gaff another feature in Tampa Florida and NYC for Andrew Reed, the DOP of Quiet City and Cold Weather.  Incredible.  So excited.  Oh, and I'm pitching a feature film to a production company on Wednesday for money.  I've kinda hit a flush draw on the river, if you will.

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2010, 07:46:32 PM »
Today was our second to last day of shooting.  We are on a 24 hour turn around time table, because our last day is an 8pm to 8am night.

The shoot has gone really, really well and I think we are going to head out to the beach to watch the sunrise, possibly shoot something for fun with the equipment that we have lying around.

I have to say, this production has be so much fun.  I've met a number of new friends, many of which I can't wait to work with again, and some I'll be fine never working with again.  We didn't have many problems, I made good friends with an awesome actor/comedian who actually said he'd like to work with me in the future, and meant it.  I'm supposed to visit him sometime over the next year.

Yes, it was fun.  One day more.  Another day, another destiny.  We'll trudge on through, wrap in the AM and then sleep till the wrap party that evening.  Where I will be the responsible one and offer to DD, I've lost my appetite for heavy boozing.

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2010, 08:41:28 AM »
We wrapped out the film Angry White Man Tuesday morning at 8AM in Wilmington, NC.  It was bittersweet, mostly cause it was 8AM and we had been working since 8pm.  Cigars were handed out, hugs exchanged, handshakes shook before we departed to sleep off the day and reconvene at the wrap party.

The film was a blast to work on.  It wasn't a hard shoot.  In total we only went overtime twice, and only by a half hour, and only had to work through the night once.

I'm really hoping this movie cuts together to be as funny as it was to watch the actors perform.  With this cast it should be.  The film stars Bab Hardison, who also wrote it (Bob has a song named after him on the All the Real Girls soundtrack, Cantus for Bob Hardison).  It also stars Steve Agee from the Sarah Silverman Program, Scoot McNairy (commercial actor who NEEDS to be a star), Matt Berry from Garth Marenghi's Dark Place and the IT Crowd, and Mary Birdsong of Reno 911. 

Watching this incredible people work made each day special, exciting and dangerous.  I nearly ruined about 8 takes fighting back bursts of laughter.  Thankfully, I wasn't alone.

Yesterday we returned the grip and lighting truck to the rental house, today I'm resting, shopping and packing because I leave tomorrow at 10AM on a flight to Fort Lauderdale, FL go directly to a rental house and check out a lighting package and RED ONE camera package at ARRI CSC, FL for Andrew Reed's next film.  We start shooting on Monday.

Here are some cool pics that are floating around Facebook from Angry White Man:

This was taken around 9AM, moments after Picture Wrap was called.

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2010, 11:57:36 PM »
I am now in Tampa, Florida.  Got in about an hour or so ago.  Its been a hectic few days.  Spent 5 hours on Wed driving the truck back to its home in Charlotte and returning gear.  Spent all of Thurs running around town trying to get a bunch of stuff I needed for this new job, met up with some friends briefly for dinner to say my hellos while I was in town, then went to sleep early so I could get up at...

6am this morning and catch a flight to Fort Lauderdale where I caught a cab to ARRI CSC, did a full Grip and Electric package check out, packed the truck, bartered a bit on the price then drove from there to Tampa, a nearly 5 hour drive in the truck.

Got in, met some of the crew, bunked up and am now trying to unwind from three days of craziness.

Tomorrow is also a busy day.  We have a couple of locations to scout, we need to update the firmware on the RED Camera, something no one on the crew has ever done, so I'm gonna try to help the DP do it.  Then we want to shoot some tests.  Sunday we also want to shoot some tests.  Monday we is our first day or Principal Photography.  We'll be shooting for a month here in Florida, then moving to New York City in early July.  I lead a crazy life.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2010, 12:50:09 AM »
That looks like a really wide angle lens you got there in those B&W pics. How much did that set you back?
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad