Author Topic: Best of the Decade: Best Films (10 days, 20 winners)  (Read 33292 times)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
Best of the Decade: Best Films (10 days, 20 winners)
« on: May 07, 2010, 06:24:35 AM »
In no particular order

Almost Famous
(Cameron Crowe, 2000)

Quote from: StarCarly
This movie is seriously flawless.

Quote from: chardy999
Perfect. The Tiny Dancer scene, the plane scene, Penny Lane: "what type of beer?" and everything else. I love this film.

Quote from: Clovis8
It's simple. This movie f**king rocks! Period!

Quote from: St. Martin the Bald
I cannot hear Elton John's Tiny Dancer w/o smiling, thinking of that scene in Almost Famous and singing out loud where ever I am. What an iconic moment in film.

Quote from: roujin
This is the life I wish I had. It is the first film that I watched obsessively. I wept out of pure joy when the film finished. I watch more movies in hope that something will come close to this.

Click here to see discussion
And lets keep this thread spoiler free!

Shaun of the Dead
(Edgar Wright, 2004)

Quote from: smirnoff
The bottom line is Shaun of the Dead is funny in almost every possible way there is to be funny.

Quote from: 1SO
I love the dialogue.  How many of the jokes just land, even on repeat viewings.  I love the camerawork that's brash without being overbearing.  (The steadicam shot after zombie infestation and the way it reflects on an earlier matching shot is among my absolute favorite of the decade.)  I love the buddy dynamic between Simon Pegg and Nick Frost, and I love just how rich and touching their friendship is written and played.  The film would simply not have worked so well without such deep conviction.

Quote from: oneaprilday
Still just as awesome as it was the first time 'round. Love it.

Quote from: St. Martin the Bald
I cannot get enough of this picture. My life IS a zombie movie.

Quote from: Junior
Shaun of the Dead is the best.

Quote from: stevekimes
Because Eternal Sunshine is pretty much a perfect movie.  I know.  I just saw it.  It's really true.

Quote from: worm@work
I think what I like about it is what it made me feel about love and loneliness and memory and such. I think the so-called 'twist' is to make us examine the power that memories have. About all the pain we go through as we search for love.

Quote from: S. FroHam IV, Esq.
All this talk about Sunshine being less than amazing is madness/Sparta.

Quote from: DOOM!!!
Breathtaking movie. It had such symmetry to it, the first act connected to the last act, and so on and so on. The writing was genius, and the performances were sublime and helped to put across the notion of love lost and what love really is better than any other movie I've ever seen. I loved it, top 5 for me right off the bat.

Quote from: 'Noke
Eternal Sunshine is a masterpiece. Done.

WALL·E
(Andrew Stanton, 2008)

Quote from: FifthCityMuse
It's as brilliant as everyone says. I was taken from the very beginning, from the scenes where Wall-E drives over the cockroach and then backs up, afraid he's hurt him, only to have him pop right back up. Also, my heart broke as he visited all the old Wall-E machines to get parts for repairs. That was all it took for me. From then on in I was hooked.

Quote from: Tequila
Awe-inspiring. I really didn't expect to love it this much.

Quote from: Emiliana
What a wonderful film! How can an animated metallic box move me that much? The love story was beautiful in its simplicity, the look of the sequences on earth was amazing. My favourite film of the year so far.

After all the high praise I wouldn't have thought it possible to be so pleasantly surprised. Actually that's an understatement. I'm blown away. I haven't felt this sort of a enjoyment from a movie since I was a kid.

Quote from: FLYmeatwad
Wall*E appealed to all the senses a modern film is able to appeal to with little dialogue for most of the film and I was blown away. The film worked on so many levels and the surprise of what would happen next was incredibly engaging. I don't know if I will be able to watch it over and over again, but for at least a one shot film very few, if any, modern animated films can stack up to Wall*E

Quote from: alexarch
Both made excellent use of 80s music artists, but I like my 80s music to be accompanied by mostly nude pole dancers. That's why I chose Wall-E.

Inglorious Bastards
(Quentin Tarantino, 2009)

I don't think that this film could be any better than it is. Nothing wasn't perfect.

Quote from: thevoid99
I shall never, ever doubt Quentin Tarantino's ability to make a great film ever again. I loved it.  Every moment in that film was flat-out brilliant from that opening scene of Col. Landa at the home LaPadite to everything else.

The word is used too often, nonetheless this movie is a masterpiece. Plain and simple.

The scene with Shosanna putting on her makeup is probably the best thing that Quentin has ever done. Along with the shot of the two Basterds firing away in manic glee as everything around them burns. I don't know what look Eli Roth has at the end of that scene but it's almost quasi-orgasmic.

Quote from: ferris
The last line of the movie: brilliant, and I agree.  When it cut to black I was the guy who started the applause in the theater.  

Spirited Away
(Hayao Miyazaki, 2001)

Quote from: Bondo
It is an incomparably wonderful film.

I like that Miyazaki doesn't just rewrite the rules of fantasy, he writes an entirely new book with characters that bear no marks of an inspirational source.  Everything in this film is a true original, an endless supply of magic straight from the imagination.  And, as it typical with Miyazaki, there are no true heroes and villains.  Everybody has their good and bad qualities.  Nobody else comes close to creating that kind of well-rounded characterization, in any movie outside of a studio Ghibli film ever.

Spirited Away is my all time favorite movie, with none beside it.

So THIS is what a masterpiece looks like! I’m trying to think of an eloquent way to stretch “my jaw was in my lap for two hours” into 3-4 paragraphs!

Quote from: Melvil
It really is a magical movie.

City of God
(Fernando Meirelles & Kátia Lund, 2002)

City of God is 100% pure grade objective awesomeness.

Mind = blown. This is a truly great movie. Besides being non-stop gorgeous, it makes incredibly inventive use of every aspect of the presentation, and most impressively while retaining a cohesive feel to the style and without distracting from the story. Really compelling stuff. There's so much going on I'm kinda at a loss to what I could say about it, but there's really nothing that didn't work for me.

Quote from: BlueVoid
My second viewing of this definitely reinforced my love for this film.  It's simply awe-inspiring to behold.  The brutal violence is justified with deep characters and heady material.  There are no lulls and the film engulfs you in this horrible slum world that is City of God.  It is a visual masterpiece, that draws you in with its eye candy and rips you apart with its gut wrenching story.  

City of God took me to a place I never thought I’d want to go to, told me a story I’d never heard before, and did it with a cinematic style that still feels groundbreaking seven years later.  For me, this is the culmination of everything cinema is capable of.

Vibrant, colorful, beautiful, deep, so intricate, so captivating. Pretty much perfect.

Memento
(Christopher Nolan, 2000)

Memento shows the young Chris Nolan to be a naturally gifted storyteller.  He would develop into an even better director, but he has remained one of the cinema’s most gifted and smartest writers and Memento is by leaps and bounds his best screenplay.  In fact, it’s the Best Screenplay of the Decade. This one holds up, and is as Great today as it was a decade ago.

One of the greatest movies ever made.

I loved this movie. Just awesome.

Quote from: Holly Harry
I would think if one finds the backwards interesting, then they find all of it interesting, because backwards IS the movie. The structure tells you everything about this guy's life. I think it's pretty amazing how Nolan was able to explore the psychology of his subject simply by the revealing of narrative information, and not exposition.

Quote from: saltine
I completely enjoyed it every step of the way.  It had one of those implausible scripts made reasonable by the directorial choices and the fine acting.  I'm never one to try to outguess the whys and hows of a confounding chronology, so maybe that's why I didn't see it coming, but the reveal at the end surprised me in an "ah-ha, now I get it" way.  I'll watch Memento again with family this summer.  I'm sure I'll be just as fascinated as I was the first time through.  

Once
(John Carney, 2006)

Quote from: CSSCHNEIDER
This film bubbles it's so joyous.  The bittersweet nature of it really hit home with me, and the music is incredible.

Quote from: skjerva
Terribly sweet and sometimes beautiful.

Quote from: Dave the Viewer
The music is beautiful, but what truly makes this film so great is the chemistry and performance of the 2 leads. You feel so much for them both.

I loved it. What can I say that hasn't already been said? The music is fantastic, I fell in love with the characters, and the story couldn't and shouldn't have unfolded and ended any other way.

I have seen it about 15 times now and it literally gives me chills every single time they sing falling slowly. It is a top 10 all time film moment.

Mulholland Dr.
(David Lynch, 2001)

Mulholland Drive is as fresh and exciting now as it was back in 2001. One could see it as the quintessential Lynch film, with everything you would want from him.  Even better, it delivers the kind of Great things you hope for from any movie.

Quote from: sdedalus
I don't know that I can say anything coherent about it right now, but I loved every minute of it. Without a doubt one of the best of the decade.

This film is just so much fun and I love the way that the film locks into place and whips back its narrative with all the doublings and all that awesome shit. It's probably Lynch's most satisfying and fully-formed thingie majigger (maybe also his funniest?). Its statements on Hollywood, other shit, IDENTITY (LOL) and whatever do nothing for me but the way that the film is constructed and shot and all that stuff gets me going in a different million directions. you blow my mind, hey!

Quote from: NedMeier
Mulholland Dr. is one of my all-time favorite films.

Quote from: Corndog
I ended up just writing down a million questions that were raised in my mind, hoping to keep track of what was going on and hoping they would be answered at some point down the line. My questions were never answered. That sort of frustrated me, but I think what Lynch was doing was letting the viewer answer their own questions, which I think I always like those types of movies where you can make it mean what you want it too.

There Will Be Blood
(Paul Thomas Anderson, 2007)

Each day I ask myself: "Is this the best film ever made?" Usually the answer is almost always, "Yes, probably."

Quote from: Thor
It looks very pretty, and there were some wonderfully memorable sequences. Loved how the splash of oil on the camera lens at the start and the splash of liquid (dirty water? puke? surely not... milk?) on the lens in the final scene bookended the film. Overall, this was thrilling stuff, and I drank it up.

Quote from: ¡Keith!
Still got chills at several spots but it looks so bad on a small screen - I need an HDTV.

Remains A+ material.

Quote from: Basil
This is a masterpiece.  

This is a masterpiece. It is one of the best movies I have ever seen.

Daniel Day-Lewis can and should have all the acting awards ever invented on earth.

Plus there's the whole dream sequence at the end.

Punch-Drunk Love
(Paul Thomas Anderson, 2002)

Quote from: StarCarly
A 95 minute excuse to play with color, in a good way. It's so beautiful and surprisingly moving.

I stumbled on this having no idea who PTA was and was expecting a "50-First Dates" banal comedy - and was FLOORED.  Love this film.  

This was delightful and terrific. Just outstanding film making. The tone, the acting, the dialogue, the camera, it all seemed right for the story that PTA was telling here. It was comedic at all the right times, moving and stirring and jarring at the right times too. It was just a lot of fun to watch!

Yet another PT Anderson film that I really loved.

This might just be my #1 of the decade.

No Country For Old Men
(Ethan & Joel Coen, 2007)

Quote from: chesterfilms
It's amazing. I'm gonna need to think about it a bit more and write my thoughts. Really really amazing.

Wow I loved this movie. I think it might be on my top 10 all time best list.

Last night as I exited from the theater I was having doubts about the ending. It felt too sudden. I didn't know what to think. I also wondered about the mental state that I was in while watching this movie. Then I realized, I absolutely had to see this movie again.

Quote from: Smirnoff
The dialogue has a poetic quality that manages to still sound natural. Just a great movie on every level.

The imagery is just so amazing.

Quote from: ses593
I just saw this movie tonight and was blown away.  

Quote from: OmNom
I nearly stopped breathing. I dunno what happens to make it so powerful.  It was dark, chilling, glossy, quiet, steady.  I loved it.

Amelie
(Jean-Pierre Jeunet, 2001)

Quote from: UberGeekyGirl
I love this movie. Its in my top 10 definitely.

This has quickly shot up my favorite films list because it is just my kind of film. Charming, happy, gorgeous (Bruno Delbonnel as Director of Photography), and just strange enough to make it interesting too. I am ready to go out, live life and love everyone I see.

I adore Amelie, it is utterly charming and amazing and all other superlatives.

This film is pure joy. It is beautiful to look at with some really nice directorial touches. Tatou is perfect as Amelie. I want to marry her. Some people have criticized it for being too sanitized and sentimental. I, for one, wish the world worked more like this.

Quote from: FifthCityMuse
It's just so wonderful.

Children of Men
(Alfonso Cuarón, 2006)

Quote from: Steven O. Selsnik
If you have not seen this movie, SEE THIS MOVIE!!!!!!

Quote from: matt the movie watcher
My second viewing, it’s still awesome. Objectively so in fact.

Cinematography, Acting, Writing, all done beautifully, all done to perfection. A masterpiece in everyway.

Quote from: winrit
The camera work both draws you in and keeps you at a distance, like an observer.  The technique led to me crying very suddenly and at unexpected moments.  It's the best dystopia I've seen put to film in a very long time.  

Quote from: Lynch
I just finished watching this film and WOW. The whole film screams quality to me in a way that few other recent films have.  

The Lives of Others
(Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck, 2006)

Quote from: skjerva
it really resonated with me

Quote from: choatime
Excellent.  Such a great film.  Ulrich Muhe is superb, and I'll definitely look for Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck's work in the future.

Quote from: Fugee
Oh yeah, now I remember why I love foreign films

Quote from: CSSCHNEIDER
Astounding.  One of the greatest films of the decade, one of the best films I've seen in years.  

Quote from: Tim
Ulrich Mühe was such a brilliant actor who died far too young (54) only 4 months after The Lives of Others received the Oscar. It must have been very hard psychologically for him to relive his past. He grew up in East Berlin, and even had to serve as a border guard along the Berlin wall as his compulsory military duty after finishing high school. He was released early from this duty because the stress of the job was giving him stomach ulcers. After this he studied theatre and became an actor. He was against the GDR. He was under constant surveillance, and associated with many people he found out later to be informants. He has suffered interrogations. This role was not about playing a role, it was about revisiting his own past. You can just see that he is living again in that place during the film.

Before Sunset
(Richard Linklater, 2004)

Quote from: ses593
I love that movie so much.

Amazing movie, one of the best sequels I've ever seen. It's fun, and interesting, to watch these two characters discuss the same things but now with a different perspective, or to notice how they have moved beyond certain topics and into new areas as they grow older. I loved the camera work, and I loved the ending, I loved the movie.

Quote from: Bondo
Top 25 all time.

Loved this film.  I could go on and on. Practically perfect.  Brilliant script.  Figures to have a long life on my top 100 for years to come.

Does it get any better than this? I mean really. My expectations were pretty high, but this film exceeded them in every way. I feel like I've just seen a colour I never knew existed or something. It's that different and refreshing.

Great art becomes part of one's life. It effects us in ways we cannot describe. We carry it with us, like an emotional touchstone. In some cases we measure our lives against it. For me, no painting, sculpture, novel, or film can measure up to Before Sunset, in this sense.

Click here to see more quotes

Pan's Labyrinth
(Guillermo del Toro, 2006)

Quote from: Wilson
It's beautiful, enchanting, tough, compelling, dark and just generally magnificent.

Pan's is fantastic, top ten material.

Pretty much any movie can be broken down into a familiar-sounding summary, but what counts is how it handled the material and the emotion it brings to it, which is where Pan's succeeds for me.

Quote from: karlwinslow
I'm pretty bad at summing up how I feel about films, but this is what I said leaving the theater:

"wow"

Quote from: tjwells
brilliant. an absolute masterpiece.

The Departed
(Martin Scorsese, 2006)

Quote from: S. FroHam IV, Esq.
Man, what a movie. I really can't even consider this lesser Scorsese. It's too good for that. And upon rewatching I even like Nicholson a lot more. And Wahlberg needs to have more intense roles like this one.

Quote from: chardy999
I never get sick of this. Leonardo DiCarprio, among others, is fantastic and it just makes me more excited about Shutter Island. I want Scorsese to put him in everything he makes. But yeah, The Departed is perfect for me.

This movie is so awesome. Another example of movies later hated for unknown reasons.

The Departed is FAR better than Infernal Affairs.

Quote from: lotr-sam0711
This is like the best performance you'll probably ever see from Matt Damon. I absolutely loved it. Then again I absolutely love everything about The Departed.

In The Mood For Love
(Wong Kar Wai, 2000)

Quote from: THATguy
This is just such a gorgeous film.  The cinematography might be some of the best work I've ever seen in any film, ever... the way shots are framed, the use of color, the depth, the smoke, it's just gorgeous.

Quote from: Colleen
Wow.  My first reaction is, what a GORGEOUS movie.  Every shot seemed to have so much color and texture embedded into it.  That is what caught my attention from the start and kept me engrossed even when the plot lost me at times.  In addition, Maggie Cheung and Tony Leung are just as beautiful to look at in every scene, and fantastic actors to boot.

What a beautiful, beautiful movie! I wouldn't have expected anything less, but I was still amazed at how WKW and the actors pull this off. Both Maggie Cheung and Tony Leung are magnificent, and the slow pace and subtle development is mesmerizing and makes it all the more believable. I really feel like I need to see it again to truly appreciate it, but man did I love it.

Quote from: oneaprilday
Why have I waited so long to see some Wong Kar-wai? What a stunningly beautiful film with wonderful performances. I loved the colors, the composition of the frames (and how one never saw the spouses' faces), the music; I loved the slow development of the relationship - I loved how much was left unsaid and yet how rich the communication was.

Quote from: zarodinu
One of the most beautiful films I saw in my life.  The slow tempo, vivid colors, the music, the cinematography, the subtle acting, all come together into a purely emotional experience.

THE END
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 03:29:29 PM by smirnoff »

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
Re: Best of the Decade: Best Films (10 days, 20 winners)
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 06:24:46 AM »
Alrighty guys, so here it is. Almost Famous. The first of twenty winning films to be announced over the next ten days. Announcements will be made twice a day,  once in the morning and once in the late afternoon, so there'll lots of time to discuss each film. That's right, this thread is open for discussion. As new films are announced they will also be added to the first post.

Enjoy.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 07:48:08 AM by smirnoff »

chardy999

• Elite Member
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 06:42:36 AM »
Boom! This is a wonderful start. Big effort from the people searching for all these quotes - who do we thank? Smirnoff, ferris etc? Going to make this all the more enjoyable.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
- Groucho Marx

Wilson

• Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 06:52:28 AM »
Good start, I love the layout.

Think I'm going to watch along with all the top 20, so I intend to get right on with it asap.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 06:56:53 AM »
It's really a group effort between Bondo, ferris, 'Noke and myself. We're all doing our bit. 'Noke is in charge of quote scrounging and is doing a great job. :)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 06:59:24 AM by smirnoff »

Emiliana

• Elite Member
  • Life is a Cabaret!
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 07:10:48 AM »
Great work, guys - I like the layout, the screenshots and the quotes as well!

However, I am really not quite sure what to say about Almost Famous. I watched it back when it came out, and liked it well enough, but since then, I have forgotten most of it and filed it away under "that film Adam loves so much"... However, roujin's quote gave me serious pause (even more so than the fact that it made this list, I guess), so I am thinking a rewatch is in order.

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 07:15:46 AM »
Don't hold me accountable to things I said back in 2007  :)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2010, 07:17:18 AM »
However, I am really not quite sure what to say about Almost Famous. I watched it back when it came out, and liked it well enough, but since then, I have forgotten most of it and filed it away under "that film Adam loves so much"... However, roujin's quote gave me serious pause (even more so than the fact that it made this list, I guess), so I am thinking a rewatch is in order.

My feelings exactly.

Don't hold me accountable to things I said back in 2007  :)

Hehe, it IS a great quote though.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2010, 09:28:07 AM »
Great work, guys - I like the layout, the screenshots and the quotes as well!

One of those rare movies that just keeps getting better with rewatches.  The characters are so well fleshed out, the music perfectly chosen and placed, and a week after you watch it you miss them like old college roommates
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
  • A Monkey with a Gun
    • Creative Criticism
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2010, 09:35:36 AM »
Great start to the list.

I'm pretty sure this was roujin's favorite film.

Are you doing these in any particular order? Least to most votes in the top 50, or is it just random?