love

Author Topic: Best of the Decade: Best Films (10 days, 20 winners)  (Read 59642 times)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Best of the Decade: Best Films (10 days, 20 winners)
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2010, 03:16:06 PM »
Shawn is pretty inconsistent IMHO. The last act pretty much betrays the entirety of the rest of the film by trying to be a gritty and serious zombie film.

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2010, 03:24:56 PM »
Shawn is pretty inconsistent IMHO. The last act pretty much betrays the entirety of the rest of the film by trying to be a gritty and serious zombie film.

That last act isn't gritty or serious for a single second, it uses the same tone and the same comedy with dramatic underpinnings that the rest of the film is built on.

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2010, 03:25:31 PM »

I don't agree with that reading of the movie. My favorite parodies/spoofs/homages are the ones that work as a genuine member of what they're playing off of first. Shaun is a competent zombie movie in its own right, the comedy that is layered into it just takes it to a whole different level. The third act is as good as the rest, because it takes itself seriously enough to delivers a "real" storyline without compromising the comedy. And the characters are good enough that the emotion works.

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2010, 03:30:33 PM »
For me, what seperates Shaun from other parodies is it basically takes the idea of shambling zombies, inserts a bunch of hilarious characters and then examines it. That's it's thesis. What would ACTUALLY happen if slow zombies attacked, what would actually be the threat level. they come up with this, yes, it's stupid to think one zombie, if you know what they are, is dangerous. Because they are incredibly easy to kill, and they mine that so well in the first half. But then they realise, when zombies come in packs, in large mobs, they are terrifying and horrific. And then you are in incredible danger. At that is the final act.
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2010, 03:31:25 PM »
Bill Nighy!

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2010, 03:32:31 PM »
And no -I'm not the guy to get comedy recommendations from.  I laughed all through Encounters at the End of the World and only once during Knocked Up and 40-year old virgin combined
ferris, I don't think I'd ever really seen a zombie movie before Shaun, and I did not laugh even once at either 40-year old Virgin or Knocked Up.

You're gonna love it!  :)

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2010, 03:33:59 PM »
And no -I'm not the guy to get comedy recommendations from.  I laughed all through Encounters at the End of the World and only once during Knocked Up and 40-year old virgin combined
ferris, I don't think I'd ever really seen a zombie movie before Shaun, and I did not laugh even once at either 40-year old Virgin or Knocked Up.

I found Knocked Up to be very funny, 40 Year Old Virgin I found to be funny at times but ultimately pretty boring, and I found Shaun to be hilarious from start to finish, take my unwarranted opinion for what it's worth.

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2010, 03:34:40 PM »

Same, except I haven't seen 40-Year Old Virgin.
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #48 on: May 07, 2010, 03:35:21 PM »

This is probably the most compelling argument I've read :)
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #49 on: May 07, 2010, 03:35:40 PM »
"Kill the Queen!"

love