love

Author Topic: Best of the Decade: Best Films (10 days, 20 winners)  (Read 59687 times)

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
Re: Best of the Decade: Best Films (10 days, 20 winners)
« Reply #230 on: May 12, 2010, 12:46:01 PM »
What genre is that?

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #231 on: May 12, 2010, 12:46:25 PM »
5/11, and I don't think I'll ever understand how such a bad, bad film has garnered so much love. Oh well.  :-\

FYP and also, there is not one person in this film who resembles a real human being. Just the kind of human beings actors conjure up when they want to look all big and dramatic...and win Oscars.

I guess the whole thing begs the question. PT Anderson, overrated director or most overrated director?

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #232 on: May 12, 2010, 01:22:45 PM »
Overrated, just. ;)

To be serious though, I too don't quite understand the love for this film. It's my least favourite of all PTA's work (none of which I LOVE).

Really Enjoy:
Boogie Nights
Punch Drunks Love

Okay:
Hard Eight
Magnolia

Ugh:
There Will Be Blood

He's obviously a very talented director. It's just that his thing isn't really my thing.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 01:24:46 PM by smirnoff »

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #233 on: May 12, 2010, 01:53:35 PM »
5/11, and I don't think I'll ever understand how such a bad, bad film has garnered so much love. Oh well.  :-\

FYP and also, there is not one person in this film who resembles a real human being. Just the kind of human beings actors conjure up when they want to look all big and dramatic...and win Oscars.

I guess the whole thing begs the question. PT Anderson, overrated director or most overrated director?

characters > people.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #234 on: May 12, 2010, 02:09:15 PM »

Get that hate out Bondo!  :)  Clense yourself of it!!

Need a bowling pin for this?
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #235 on: May 12, 2010, 02:36:03 PM »
Overrated, just. ;)

To be serious though, I too don't quite understand the love for this film. It's my least favourite of all PTA's work (none of which I LOVE).

This.

For me it would go Boogie Nights>Magnolia>Punch Drunk Love>>>>>>>>>>>>There Will Be Blood. So yeah, I'm being a little facetious (I was referencing Stephen Colbert's question about Bush "great President or greatest President"). I like three of the four films of his I've seen. I don't love any (I'd rate them between 3.5-4 out of 5) but I appreciate them. That Magnolia won the 90s US bracket doesn't bother me greatly. If we were here talking about Punch Drunk Love I wouldn't have much to say.

I just don't understand this film in particular. It is the one that most baffled me in the decade (so it is best of the decade in something). I don't find the story particularly meaningful. It is a rather uninteresting story glossed up by hammy acting and a few unrealistic turns. It doesn't speak to me in any way. I don't feel it tells me anything about humanity (because I don't buy the people in the story as humans).

I guess to sum it up, this movie irritated me so much it has put me off milkshakes.

/Bondohatestorm

THATguy

• Elite Member
  • Contrarian At Large.
« Reply #236 on: May 12, 2010, 03:01:03 PM »
By contrast, it's the only P.T.A. I actually like. The rest of his work I'm apathetic or worse.

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #237 on: May 12, 2010, 03:06:54 PM »
It's not my favorite PTA movie, but it's up there. Made my ballot.

The list would've felt wrong without it, honestly. :)

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #238 on: May 12, 2010, 03:18:49 PM »
I don't just love it.... I savor it.  every scene, every piece of dialog.  Watching it is like putting on a warm sweater on a cold day.
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #239 on: May 12, 2010, 03:32:56 PM »
The stunning aspect of There Will Be Blood is not its ability to weave a complex narrative, but rather its ability to use this narrative to go beyond the central themes and offer insight into specific aspects of humanity as a whole. I do not know if the rest of PTA's films do this, certainly aspects are present in the two others I have seen but I have not watched either enough times to make any substantive claims; still, There Will Be Blood certainly encapsulates parts of the human condition.

love