Author Topic: Best of the Decade: Best Films (10 days, 20 winners)  (Read 59660 times)

maņana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
Re: Best of the Decade: Best Films (10 days, 20 winners)
« Reply #450 on: May 17, 2010, 12:33:18 AM »
If I had the chance to vote again, I'd probably not include Eternal Sunshine, Amelie, No Country, There Will Be Blood, and Children of Men. I really like all of those movies a lot, but I'm just not all that passionate about them. Also, these movies have plenty of love without my vote. :)
What did their inclusion push out?
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #451 on: May 17, 2010, 01:27:20 AM »
If I had the chance to vote again, I'd probably not include Eternal Sunshine, Amelie, No Country, There Will Be Blood, and Children of Men. I really like all of those movies a lot, but I'm just not all that passionate about them. Also, these movies have plenty of love without my vote. :)
What did their inclusion push out?
I'm not sure; I just think I could come up with some movies I love more. Like Emiliana said earlier, I think I rushed a bit to get my ballot in and didn't spend enough time over it.

amyh

« Reply #452 on: May 17, 2010, 03:03:45 AM »
Fantastic job with the layout! I love the quotes as well, a very nice touch!

I will have to go through the list for those films I haven't seen and ensure I catch up with them.

FarfetchFilm

• never resist the unfamiliar.
    • The Film Tourist
« Reply #453 on: May 17, 2010, 03:46:19 AM »
i'd almost go as far to say that if you don't like The Departed (i.e thinks its a 6.5+/10, or generally agree it should of won out of the five noms in 06) then you probably don't/won't like Martin Scorsese, or you won't like any you might have overlooked, this is quintessential Scorsese with for me, his best cast all at their best (it took me 2/3 views to appreciate Nicholson's narrow but really great. iconoclastic performance) in this film di Caprio beats Damon, though it should be noted that in their respectively forgettable Iraq-war films, Damon was better.

Emiliana

• Elite Member
  • Life is a Cabaret!
« Reply #454 on: May 17, 2010, 04:57:11 AM »
I ended up with 13/20. Have seen all 20, and like them all, even though I didn't quite get what others saw in Children of Men or No Country for Old Men when I saw them, but that might change on a re-watch.

If I had the chance to vote again, I probably wouldn't include Shaun of the Dead, City of God or Memento. I have seen each of them only once, and I remember putting them on my list last when I was struggling to decide what to do with those last few spaces.

Note to self: For the Top 100 this summer, be sure to put a lot more time and care into your list.

(I don't mean to say that I don't care about this project - I do, and I appreciate the effort put into it by the team!)

BlueVoid

• Elite Member
    • Movie Fodder
« Reply #455 on: May 17, 2010, 04:59:28 AM »
Bondo sent me my ballot.  Turns out I was 10/20. 
Former blog on FlickChart: The Depths of Obscurity
Letterboxd 
iCM
Twitter

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #456 on: May 17, 2010, 07:06:16 AM »
15/20 in total, with my number 2 of the decade making the cut (yay!). Two I haven't seen (Mulholland, Before Sunset), two made my short list of like 75 (Labyrinth, Lives of Others) and one needs a rewatch (Departed).
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

flieger

« Reply #457 on: May 17, 2010, 07:09:36 AM »
8/20

:-\

chardy999

• Elite Member
« Reply #458 on: May 17, 2010, 07:23:10 AM »
I am elated The Departed got a gig! Barely scraped into the top 200 in our Top 100 from last year so this is a lovely surprise.

I'm 9/20 and well pleased.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
- Groucho Marx

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #459 on: May 17, 2010, 07:34:30 AM »
I am elated The Departed got a gig! Barely scraped into the top 200 in our Top 100 from last year so this is a lovely surprise.

I was thinking about this, and I think the decision not to rank the ballots factored a LOT into The Departed making the cut. I'd say (maybe wrongly) that if the ballots were ranked then The Departed would mostly make the back end of ballots, and would not have made as many points as it was a movie used to fill a slot or somethin', and that's probably why it didn't really factor in the top 100 last year.

Just some random thoughts.
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

love