love

Author Topic: Best of the Decade: Best Films (10 days, 20 winners)  (Read 59686 times)

chardy999

• Elite Member
Re: Best of the Decade: Best Films (10 days, 20 winners)
« Reply #460 on: May 17, 2010, 07:45:03 AM »
I am elated The Departed got a gig! Barely scraped into the top 200 in our Top 100 from last year so this is a lovely surprise.

I was thinking about this, and I think the decision not to rank the ballots factored a LOT into The Departed making the cut. I'd say (maybe wrongly) that if the ballots were ranked then The Departed would mostly make the back end of ballots, and would not have made as many points as it was a movie used to fill a slot or somethin', and that's probably why it didn't really factor in the top 100 last year.

Just some random thoughts.

Likely correct. Me (and I assume FLY) are the only ones to have it in our top 40 from last year's Top 100. The other six votes it got were in the 41-100 range. But then again, there are plenty of other 2000's films which got more than 8 votes and didn't make this list. Whatever the case, The Departed has obviously gathered steam.  :D
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
- Groucho Marx

chardy999

• Elite Member
« Reply #461 on: May 17, 2010, 07:59:43 AM »
This is pretty close to the correct placing (not positive with how ties were ordered) in last year's Top 100:

7. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
30. Before Sunset
31. Wall-E
33. There Will Be Blood
35. No Country For Old Men
39. Pan's Labyrinth
46. Mulholland Dr.
50. In the Mood For Love
53. Punch Drunk Love
59. City of God
63. Children of Men
66. Spirited Away
71. Almost Famous
105. Shaun of the Dead
137. Amelie
164. Memento
172. The Departed
205. The Lives of Others
221. Once
(Inglourious Basterds not placed)

Top 3 absentees:
36. Yi Yi
49. Lost in Translation
61. High Fidelity
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
- Groucho Marx

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #462 on: May 17, 2010, 08:08:18 AM »
I'm not sure; I just think I could come up with some movies I love more. Like Emiliana said earlier, I think I rushed a bit to get my ballot in and didn't spend enough time over it.

I don't feel like I rushed mine and I composed mine in like an hour for my entire ballot, every category I mean. I just used my Top100, and the Movies Watched in 2009/2010 lists to see what I have seen from this decade that I remember liking a whole lot. Then again, unlike most people here, looking at those three lists is basically everything I have seen with the exception of a few.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #463 on: May 17, 2010, 08:08:51 AM »
That's an impressive level of consistency. IB obviously came out last fall and so wouldn't be included (and I imagine it will place fairly strongly this time around). So maybe the lack of ranking and the negative votes and all that wasn't very important? I did always maintain that negative votes is a way to push an unranked list closer to the results of a ranked list without having to deal with rankings (which are administratively a bit more difficult).

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #464 on: May 17, 2010, 06:04:15 PM »
i'd almost go as far to say that if you don't like The Departed (i.e thinks its a 6.5+/10, or generally agree it should of won out of the five noms in 06) then you probably don't/won't like Martin Scorsese, or you won't like any you might have overlooked, this is quintessential Scorsese with for me, his best cast all at their best (it took me 2/3 views to appreciate Nicholson's narrow but really great. iconoclastic performance) in this film di Caprio beats Damon, though it should be noted that in their respectively forgettable Iraq-war films, Damon was better.

Can't agree with this at all. I love me some Goodfellas and earlier Marty, it's just his post Goodfellas efforts that I feel have been severely lacking with The Departed being the one film he's made that I've seen and thought was complete dreck from start to finish. And those performances, ugh, overwrought and hammy across the board.

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #465 on: May 17, 2010, 06:11:03 PM »
i'd almost go as far to say that if you don't like The Departed (i.e thinks its a 6.5+/10, or generally agree it should of won out of the five noms in 06) then you probably don't/won't like Martin Scorsese, or you won't like any you might have overlooked, this is quintessential Scorsese with for me, his best cast all at their best (it took me 2/3 views to appreciate Nicholson's narrow but really great. iconoclastic performance) in this film di Caprio beats Damon, though it should be noted that in their respectively forgettable Iraq-war films, Damon was better.

Can't agree with this at all. I love me some Goodfellas and earlier Marty, it's just his post Goodfellas efforts that I feel have been severely lacking with The Departed being the one film he's made that I've seen and thought was complete dreck from start to finish. And those performances, ugh, overwrought and hammy across the board.

I'm glad to hear this, if only because it was my contention that you thought all of Marty's output was overrated.
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #466 on: May 17, 2010, 06:17:11 PM »

I'm glad to hear this, if only because it was my contention that you thought all of Marty's output was overrated.

Nah, I've never loved his work like others have, so really shouldn't have said I love his pre-Goodfellas work. I like his pre-Goodfellas output though, and I really love Goodfellas.

FarfetchFilm

• never resist the unfamiliar.
    • The Film Tourist
« Reply #467 on: May 18, 2010, 05:21:24 AM »
its a bit like Brothers, the Bier/Sheridan film, if all you want to do is compare it to its original then you're never gonna really see the film properly, as with The Departed and say The Birdcage, you just gonna get less slack if you prefer the foreign original.

The Departed, Scorsese's best film for acting, though i'd say Bringing Out the Dead is his best casted film, yes i do love the oscars gave scorsese his oscar in 2006, dosen't make the film worst does it? That other people like, goshie...

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #468 on: May 18, 2010, 07:49:06 AM »
Judged on its own The Departed is a bad film, judged against Infernal Affairs it is a terrible film. And you keep going on about its cast, but its cast was terrible and probably the worst aspect of the entire film.

FarfetchFilm

• never resist the unfamiliar.
    • The Film Tourist
« Reply #469 on: May 18, 2010, 06:41:05 PM »
well its in the filmspotting forums top 20, a real slit against these great forums don't ya think, i think you're a little lost, with the record breaking Damon/Di Caprio poll, lets have a topical debate Tony Leung & Andy Lau next, who's less tongue-in-check, if The Departed is terrible than Infernal Affairs is just bad, not terrible, its actually a very well executed trilogy of baffling crime stories.

maybe you should head over the my old website leftfieldcinema.com, my mate Mike tells it like it is, The Departed is slightly superior than Infernal Affairs, and its in podcast form just for you.

love