love

Author Topic: Movie Pledge Drives (film-jump-rope-a-thon-for-heart or something)  (Read 984 times)

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
This is probably a lousy idea.   I haven't thought it through yet, and I'm not really sure how it would work.  Before I tell you the idea, I'll tell you where the idea came from:

Right now there are two unlikely films getting a lot of first-time watches lately - Close Encounters and Morvern Callar.   I think in both these cases interest grew from a few vocal supporters and it spread.  I think this was really cool and a great reason to be part of a forum like this.  I thought it might be nice to formalize this in a way - to get some collective attention around some filmspotters favorite movies. 

My idea would be Movie Pledge Drives.  It would be a variation on the MDC - but not really...It's more like one of those ""jump-rope for heart" things.  Say you have a film you'd love to evangelize.  For me it'd be something like Never Cry Wolf.   I'd ask for pledges: "I need five pledges to watch Never Cry Wolf in the next 30 days" - who can pledge?

The motivation to pledge for other people's pledge drives is the reward of holding your own.  We'd probably have 3 or 4 "pledge drives" going at the same time so you could be rewarded fairly soon.  (The first batch we'd pick people out of a hat or something)

Like I said, I haven't worked out all the logistics yet - this is just kinda a feeler. 

Thoughts???
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Movie Pledge Drives (film-jump-rope-a-thon-for-heart or something)
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 11:39:36 PM »
I like to use empirical reasoning to get people to watch my films via the written word, but the whole you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours could work well.

I also enjoy when a number of people all share their opinions on the same film in a condensed amount of time. Sounds interesting. I'm up for trying it. Maybe if we did something like a drive a week or every two weeks.

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 12:56:33 AM »
Interesting idea. Count me in.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 06:46:37 AM »
I could be in for pledging to one or two per months. Plus people need to see The Woodsman. I think there are only two reviews of it in the last film thread.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 07:36:58 AM »
 Whatever it is, count me in

love