love

Author Topic: What is Crisis and Climax?  (Read 2746 times)

amirtamadon

What is Crisis and Climax?
« on: May 11, 2010, 02:28:11 AM »
Is anybody in this forum smart enough to explain the following words?

1- What is climax and crisis in a movie?
2- What does resolution mean in terms of movie?
3- What is the Call of Action?
4- What is theme?

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
Re: What is Crisis and Climax?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 08:34:13 AM »
All of these have to do with the screenwriting process of the film.

1-The climax is usually the point where the hero comes face to face with his biggest problem. This usually occurs in the last act of the film. The crisis is almost always before the climax and is the point where it seems that the hero will not save the day.

2-Resolution is the part of the film where you complete and tie off all the plot threads you've had throughout the film. It's like that bit at the end of most films where we see what is happening in all the lives of the characters and how their problems have been solved.

3-The call to action is in the first act of the film and it's when the hero is faced with the choice to do something or remain the same. For example, Luke being asked by Obi-Wan to help him fight the Empire in Star Wars is a call to action.

4-Theme has to do with the ideas conveyed behind the story. The can be religious, philosophical, political or social. For instance, District 9 isn't simply about these aliens trapped in a camp. Their story becomes a way for the film to convey ideas about social inequality and the harsh and inhuman living conditions people were put into.

Hopefully this helps. If you'd like to know more, I'd suggest picking up a basic screenwriting book which should address all these topics and more.

amirtamadon

Re: What is Crisis and Climax?
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 02:08:19 PM »

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol