love

Author Topic: 1SO vs. the 00s Rebuttal Marathon  (Read 85517 times)

chardy999

• Elite Member
Re: 1SO vs. the 00s Rebuttal Marathon
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2010, 10:34:45 PM »
My market on how many break into 1SO's Top 100 of the 2000's is 5@8.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
- Groucho Marx

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2010, 10:39:39 PM »

nobody here is going to know what you mean except us other degens :D

I would take the under btw.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2010, 10:53:15 PM »
Yea, I'm glad I have no idea what that means.

chardy999

• Elite Member
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2010, 01:47:22 AM »

nobody here is going to know what you mean except us other degens :D

I would take the under btw.

Sold! Our running little kudos bet ;)
- Groucho Marx

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2010, 01:52:02 AM »
I'd take the under as well. Having put as much effort into constructing the top 100 as it is, it seems a bit more impenetrable than your average list. Contrary to say, my list, where I've already had 2-3 films in my 200X maration (out of 15 or so) that would certainly be highly competitive for my top 100. That said, mere probabilities say at least one film will crack the list.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2010, 01:52:40 AM »
1. I have decided to focus my attention on the list of films unseen and to start at the bottom, but this will be an extremely flexible guideline.  (I picked up To Be and To Have today, but discovered some difficulty getting my hands on Taxidermia, Children Underground and Lagaan.)

2. If you cared way too much about this, you may have noticed a few changes in my Top 100 from the first post here and the final post in my Marathon.  During that time I watched Hot Fuzz and Ratatouille again, and they both went up a couple of spots.  I also finally got a 2nd viewing of Fantastic Mr. Fox.  It went up about 6 places.
I rewatched Avatar as well, for the first time in 2D.  I'm not going to defend the problems, but I still find the direction to be masterful, especially in the ridiculously exciting Final Act.  It's staying put.

chardy999

• Elite Member
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2010, 08:18:04 AM »
I rewatched Avatar as well, for the first time in 2D.  I'm not going to defend the problems, but I still find the direction to be masterful, especially in the ridiculously exciting Final Act.  It's staying put.

I'd like you to save this quote for when you are older and wiser.
- Groucho Marx

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Rebuttal Marathon Update

To Be and to Have (Etre et Avoir)

Quote from: 'Noke
Etre et Avoir, or To Be and to Have, Is a movie set in a school located in the countryside of France, and focuses on about one year in a primary school. It mostly focuses on the teaching methods of the sole teacher, George Lopez. There's a wonderful sense of place, and you spend nearly all of the time in the school, with some interludes watching some of the kids doing their homework. Lopez is someone who may be the most patient and caring man in the world, and watching his interaction with the kids is wonderful. Plus, little kids doing cute things also gets points! these are punctuated with one or two scenes of Lopez describing his life, and it's not some life of trouble or something, it's just normal. but spending time with the kids and Lopez is so wonderful, that you get caught up in it, and the time flies by. Plus, it's wonderfully crafted too.

After the recent transformation of the documentary into an instrument of political/social change, it's a bit refreshing to watch a film where the cameras are only there to observe action, not to dictate events.  That being said, much like Matty's problem with American Teen, the mere presence of the camera brings to mind questions as to the honesty of the interactions at play.  The bulk of the film consists of a teacher and his students.  The teacher is a saint here, but I do believe it's genuine and not just playing nice for the cameras.  I say that because his kindness comes across as the greatest teaching tool.

On the other hand, being all observation, this felt like a youtube spycam more than a movie with scene after scene of the teacher teaching.  Sometimes we got life lessons, parental interactions and personal interventions (like my favorite moment when he talks to two boys who recently got into a fight), but there are way, way, way too many scenes of students slowly learning the basics.  (No, little kids doing cute things does not always get points.)  An hour in, the teacher answers some questions for the camera, which I found even less enlightening than watching him interact with the students.  It felt like padding.  I constantly felt the filmmaker was trying to break up the monotony of the classrooom, and rarely succeeding.

This would make a better short film.  It could easily say all that it wanted to in 30-45 minutes.  I was mostly bored.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 04:34:29 PM by 1SO »

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2010, 10:25:58 PM »
I always wonder what the film world would be like if there was a legitimate distribution network for short films (at least with financial prospects in comparison with feature length stuff). Similarly, I find a lot of non-fiction books I read seem like a long-form magazine article would be better, but books are more profitable (typically). Anyway, reading the description I thought "oh, sounds a bit like The Class" which I loved, but I'd be wary of the style because I tend not to like merely observational documentary.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2010, 01:07:37 PM »
I have Taxidermia, so ¡Keith! you're on deck with your first of 5 entries.

It is on Netflix Instant so I might play along.

love