Author Topic: 1SO vs. the 00s Rebuttal Marathon  (Read 51862 times)

zarodinu

• Elite Member
  • What we've got here is failure to communicate
Re: 1SO vs. the 00s Rebuttal Marathon
« Reply #220 on: July 03, 2010, 11:40:32 AM »
I have never seen a non-Kurosawa Shakespeare adaptation I liked, but I will definitely check this out.  This looks like a great Pacino role.

Not a fan of 10 Things I Hate About You or She's the Man?

The guy made comedies?
Iíve lied to men who wear belts. Iíve lied to men who wear suspenders. But Iíd never be so stupid as to lie to a man who wears both a belt and suspenders.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #221 on: July 03, 2010, 12:20:21 PM »
Much Ado About Nothing!

Anyway, I'd say Romeo and Juliet is the best Shakespeare. You get Baz Luhrman's adaptation, you get West Side Story, you get Shakespeare in Love. All three of those are better than any other adaptation of any play of his I've seen with the lone exception of Ran (which of course is King Lear).

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #222 on: July 03, 2010, 12:25:00 PM »
I would like to ask if anyone out there has seen Polanski's Macbeth?  

When Polanski's pregnant wife, Sharon Tate, and several of his friends were all senselessly murdered by members of the Charles Manson cult, he quit his current film project and focused on this.  The parallels are startling.  This was also filmed between Rosemary's Baby and Chinatown, so he was creatively at the height of his powers.  It's the reason why Macbeth is my favorite Shakespeare.

On a different note, I'd like to throw out how much I enjoy Julie Taymor's Titus.
Must See  |  Should See  |  Good  |  Mixed  |  Bad

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #223 on: July 03, 2010, 12:42:05 PM »
Almost positive it was the Polanski version of Macbeth I saw in HS. Is it the one where Macbeth's body jumps up and rolls down the stairs when he is beheaded at the end, contrary to the laws of physics? Thought it was a bit silly. Watched Titus a few years back. I find a lot of Shakespeare's tragedies to be a bit too focused on people getting killed.

zarodinu

• Elite Member
« Reply #224 on: July 03, 2010, 01:10:15 PM »

When Polanski's pregnant wife, Sharon Tate, and several of his friends were all senselessly murdered by members of the Charles Manson cult, he quit his current film project and focused on this.  The parallels are startling.  This was also filmed between Rosemary's Baby and Chinatown, so he was creatively at the height of his powers.  It's the reason why Macbeth is my favorite Shakespeare.

On a different note, I'd like to throw out how much I enjoy Julie Taymor's Titus.

That's the first I heard of a Polanski Macbeth.  With all his issues, he would be perfect for Macbeth.  Can anything really compete with the double team of Mifune and Kurosawa though?  Will check it out anyways.
Iíve lied to men who wear belts. Iíve lied to men who wear suspenders. But Iíd never be so stupid as to lie to a man who wears both a belt and suspenders.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: 1SO vs. the 00s Rebuttal Marathon - Up Next
« Reply #225 on: July 03, 2010, 06:42:41 PM »
Here's what's next...

Recommended by FLYmeatwad, Man Push Cart arrived in the mail today.

I went to rent Kontroll, which has been in my DVD store for years.  Today, it's been checked out.  :(
So I picked up The Return, recommended by zarodinu.

I also have...
Hedwig and the Angry Inch ('Noke), In America (stevekimes) and Children of Men sitting on my shelf, ready to go.
Must See  |  Should See  |  Good  |  Mixed  |  Bad

zarodinu

• Elite Member
Re: 1SO vs. the 00s Rebuttal Marathon - Up Next
« Reply #226 on: July 03, 2010, 07:51:50 PM »
Here's what's next...

Recommended by FLYmeatwad, Man Push Cart arrived in the mail today.

I went to rent Kontroll, which has been in my DVD store for years.  Today, it's been checked out.  :(
So I picked up The Return, recommended by zarodinu.

I also have...
Hedwig and the Angry Inch ('Noke), In America (stevekimes) and Children of Men sitting on my shelf, ready to go.

Awesome.  Can't wait.  I hope you don't break my heart the way Bondo does every time he reviews a good movie.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 07:53:51 PM by zarodinu »

sdedalus

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #227 on: July 03, 2010, 08:07:40 PM »

I haven't, but Orson Welles's is great.  I like it more than his Othello, but his Chimes at Midnight is as good a Shakespeare movie as has ever been made.

And A Midsummer Night's Dream, the play, is awesome.  The '35 film version by Max Reinhardt and William Dieterle is terrific.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #228 on: July 03, 2010, 08:08:38 PM »
I watched his Macbeth last fall or so. It's really good. There's obvious anger in the film and it is as bloody as it can be. The acting is great and even though it is 2.5 hours long it doesn't feel like it.
Check out my blog of many topics

ďIím not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!Ē

chardy999

• Elite Member
« Reply #229 on: July 03, 2010, 08:42:33 PM »
I watched his Macbeth last fall or so. It's really good. There's obvious anger in the film and it is as bloody as it can be. The acting is great and even though it is 2.5 hours long it doesn't feel like it.

Is the actual blood really bad in this one? I saw a Macbeth at school and I can't remember which one it was. All I remember was that the fake blood was almost as bad as that in Wrath of God.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
- Groucho Marx