Poll

Is Michael Bay an auteur

Yes - All of his films bear his indelible stamp.
No - You have to make great films to be an auteur.
Maybe - I can't find any signitaure themes.
He is a Hack

Author Topic: Is Michael Bay an auteur?  (Read 9560 times)

Beavermoose

• Elite Member
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
Re: Is Michael Bay an auteur?
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2010, 09:30:27 PM »
Is'nt the more important question. Why is Michael Bay so successful?

Does it really matter if Michael Bay is an auteur or not. Maybe he just fulfulls a need in the market.

Same reason James Cameron is. People need to see the new "Hollywood Blockbuster". 
I blame Star Wars for the advent of the blockbuster. Damn you George Lucas.

I blame Kurosawa for making movies fun.

I can see it now: Micheal Bay the modern day Kurosawa!
 ;)

ˇKeith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2010, 09:55:37 PM »

Does it really matter if Michael Bay is an auteur or not. Maybe he just fulfulls a need in the market.

Same reason James Cameron is. People need to see the new "Hollywood Blockbuster". 

Whoa there sparky, let's not compare a great director like Cameron to someone of Bay's ilk, okay...

I wasn't comparing their films quality.
I'm jus sayin that te casual filmgoers don't make a distinction and go see the big summer blockbuster movie regardless.

thats why JC releases his at christmas.

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2010, 10:36:05 PM »
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2010, 10:41:07 PM »

Whoa there sparky, let's not compare a great director like Cameron to someone of Bay's ilk, okay...

I would argue that Michael Bay is a far more interesting director than James Cameron if you set aside the quality of their respective films.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

ˇKeith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2010, 10:43:09 PM »

I would argue that Michael Bay is a far more interesting director than James Cameron if you set aside the quality of their respective films.

Chicks Kicking Ass > 360 Spin Cam

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2010, 10:58:13 PM »

I would argue that's insane and that I'll take an inventive director who actually knows how to use his camera over a guy who can't keep the damn camera still for a single second every day of the week.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2010, 11:11:31 PM »

I would argue that's insane and that I'll take an inventive director who actually knows how to use his camera over a guy who can't keep the damn camera still for a single second every day of the week.

In my view James Cameron doesn't do much interesting outside of implementing cool new tech and being really good at framing action, but Bay, other than in the Transformers movies is usually a lot more inventive, even when he's overdoing it to the detrement of the film. Some of the shots he gets are incredible, and the way he fetishizes women and military gear, while being terrible in a lot of ways, alone makes analyzing his style of filmmaking more rewarding than with Cameron. At least that's how I see it. Also, The Rock is more basses than any of Camerons movies. You may crucify me now.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2010, 11:17:26 PM »
I respect your little hamster nuts for typing that reply. Not afraid to take an unpopular stand.

But I don't have your back on this one. Good luck!
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2010, 11:19:13 PM »
Ima say it again, Ima do a Bay marathon, and I can tell you right now, I don't think I hate any of his films and I don't care if I get lambasted by lots of people.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

Tim

• Elite Member
  • Be excellent to each other
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2010, 11:32:24 PM »
Is Michael Bay Satan?
Miroslav?

lol - I had to think about that one for a minute. My ice hockey trivia skills need updating ;)

A quote from Michael Bay "Quentin Tarantino called me once. Someone had written 'Is Michael Bay the Devil?' Quentin said, 'Don't worry, last year they called me the Antichrist.'"
"Only cinema narrows its concern down to its content, that is to its story. It should, instead, concern itself with its form, its structure." Peter Greenaway