love

Author Topic: Top 5 Movies You Love That Are Rated Below 6.0 On IMDB  (Read 30173 times)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
Top 5 Movies You Love That Are Rated Below 6.0 On IMDB
« on: June 13, 2010, 11:45:18 AM »
So on /film After Dark, they had a letter about the flaws of Rotten Tomatoes (it rated as rotten various comedies the person liked and gave fresh ratings to the Star Wars prequels). One of the people on the podcast said his test was that no film that someone claimed to love was below 6.0 on imdb. Thus I thought I'd create this top 5 as a refutation of that point. What films below 6.0 on imdb do you love. Probably functions as a guilty pleasures list as well.

1. Spice World (2.9): I think this was in the imdb Bottom 50 at one point, but I have considered it a camp classic since I saw it. It literally is responsible for me becoming a Spice Girls fan for the years to follow.

2. Say Uncle (5.8 ): This is right on the border of my top-100 after one watching. Speaks well to paranoid suspicion of all men (especially gay men) who enjoy being around children, something that would not be at all suspicious from a woman.

3. Toys (4.6): The great underappreciated Robin Williams film I think is even more potent now that we hear every few days about how a drone attack, controlled by some young adult soldier from a room in Nevada or somewhere, has killed civilians in Afghanistan due to bad intelligence or something.

Ok, so that is just three, not five, but that is just working from a strict definition of "love." I could certainly find more if I broadened it out.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 12:23:12 PM by Bondo »

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Top 5 Movies You Love That Are Rated Below 6.0 On IMDB
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 11:51:32 AM »
It literally is responsible for me becoming a Spice Girls fan for the years to follow.

Something is VERY wrong with this sentence.  ;)

zarodinu

• Elite Member
  • What we've got here is failure to communicate
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 12:21:40 PM »
Non of my top movies are rated below 6.0

My lowest one is Beavis and Butthead Do America (6.5)

I think people are just too stupid to get the delicate irony and cold existential dread permeating this masterpiece. 

I’ve lied to men who wear belts. I’ve lied to men who wear suspenders. But I’d never be so stupid as to lie to a man who wears both a belt and suspenders.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 12:23:41 PM »
It literally is responsible for me becoming a Spice Girls fan for the years to follow.

Something is VERY wrong with this sentence.  ;)

Well, Melanie C's solo work is especially impressive, whatever you may think of the group itself.

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 01:15:47 PM »
The Jerry Lewis films hover around 6. The rest of the world needs to start appreciating great films such as Cinderfella and The Patsy.

IDrinkYourMilkshake

• Elite Member
  • a souless automaton who can't feel any emotion
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2010, 02:56:12 PM »
is there any way of searching by rating?

Walker (Alex Cox, 1987) is (only) rated 6.3
"What should have been an enjoyable 90 minutes of nubile, high-school flesh meeting a frenzy of blood-caked blades, becomes instead an exploitational and complex parable of the conflicting demands of agrarianism and artistry. I voted a miss."

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2010, 03:12:37 PM »
Not that I can tell. If you've rated films on imdb you can go to vote history and compare your rating to imdb, which I've found a few other good ones through (though I haven't rated consistently through imdb in a long time since I use Netflix now).

A few more anyway:

4. All The Queen's Men (3.5): Joey from Friends and Eddie Izzard cross-dress their way into getting the Enigma machine for England...or something. I liked this one a lot.

5. Idlewild (5.8 ): I actually have this on my films meriting distinction which is what I used earlier but I didn't bother to check because I figured it had to be over 6. Not so. Very creative musical from Outkast.

6. Coyote Ugly (5.3): Very touching film with great music. John Goodman delivers a solid performance here as the father.

7. Daddy Day Care (5.5): Yeah, the sequel looks horrible, but this one was actually a really funny and touching film about gender roles and men as parents.

8. Lady In The Water (5.8 ): Ok, I'm drifting further and further away from love, but I'd still say this M. Night is Fresh. Speaking of which, The Happening (5.2)

9. The Break-Up (5.9): Not my favorite but this is rather shocking because I thought this was a pretty widely appreciated comedy.

10. The Ringer (5.8 ): Farrelley Bros comedy about the special olympics with Johnny Knoxville...good enough I thought.

11. Eight Legged Freaks (5.4): Come on, this was a fun throwback to monster horror.

12. In Like Flint (5.9): That's my favorite movie, baby! (ok, not really)

13. On The Line (3.4): Come on, Lance Bass plays a heterosexual. Now that's acting.

14. The Pagemaster (4.9): Good to be reminded of this, it might need to be on my Top 50 Animated list.

Ok, ok, I'll stop.

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2010, 03:17:45 PM »
IDrinkYouMilkshake try this page http://www.imdb.com/search/title select User Rating - to 5.9 and you might want to also select Number of votes say 1000 to blank. Just to stop lots of films you never heard of appearing.

IDrinkYourMilkshake

• Elite Member
  • a souless automaton who can't feel any emotion
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2010, 03:26:43 PM »
Thanks. There's plenty of stuff on there that i think deserves a higher rating, but nothing id say that i love..... although, having said that - 9 1/2 Weeks has a rating of 5.4.... I "loved" that film many, many times as a teenager...

« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 03:28:22 PM by IDrinkYourMilkshake »
"What should have been an enjoyable 90 minutes of nubile, high-school flesh meeting a frenzy of blood-caked blades, becomes instead an exploitational and complex parable of the conflicting demands of agrarianism and artistry. I voted a miss."

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2010, 03:32:15 PM »
The Girlfriend Experience (5.8 ): WHAT!!!!! I didn't even think to check this. My favorite film last year and top-50 all time. Consider the "great films aren't below 6.0 at imdb" standard officially dashed.

Also, too

Teeth (5.8 ) Great horror film.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 03:34:08 PM by Bondo »

love