love

Author Topic: Citizen Kane Greatest of all Time ?  (Read 5048 times)

Big C

• Duke, let's go do some crimes.
Re: Citizen Kane Greatest of all Time ?
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2010, 01:55:29 AM »
Welles was notoriously mischievous. There is plenty of intentional humor in Kane. This is, after all the man who pulled off one of history's great practical jokes when he was, what, 23?

Anyway- my votes for "best of all time"

Seven Samurai
The Godfather
Casablanca

Wake up son. I'll be taking these Huggies and whatever cash you got.

pappaus

« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2010, 02:08:29 PM »
When you rate Citizen Kane, it seems as if you need to break it up into sub catagories like the judging on a food show - so much for plating, so much for taste etc.  With Kane it's usually so much for raw technical innovations, so much for the applied use of those innovations to tell the story, and so much for the story. 

It's hard to still feel the awe of the new things Kane brought because the innovations have been rightfully used and improved upon by countless filmakers since then.   I can try to imagine that feeling if I remember the first time I heard the first Van Halen album.  That was new and amazing and I still remember the shock I felt.  Since then endless hair bands have quickly rendered what was fresh and new into stale and blah.

A real interesting question would be what was the greatest movie before Citizen Kane.  What movie did Citizen Kane displace as numero uno. Would you vote for Birth of a Nation which also broke story-telling and technical ground.  Would you vote for Gone With The Wind?

Of course my personal greatest movie of all time is Easy Money with Rodney Dangerfield, so that tells you all you need to know about me.

Jared

• Elite Member
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2010, 03:28:07 PM »
i find Griffith's epics to be tedious and occasionally confusing. I think his best is Broken Blossoms by quite a bit. pre-Kane though, the answer for me and Im sure many people is Sunrise

Verite

• Elite Member
  • Maybach School of Film Studies
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2010, 04:25:10 PM »
A real interesting question would be what was the greatest movie before Citizen Kane.  What movie did Citizen Kane displace as numero uno.

Offhand, my picks areThe Passion of Joan of Arc and The Rules of the Game, and neither has been displaced by CK.  There are also many that I'd rather watch given a choice between any of them and CK which is not to say that I think, for example, Vampyr, The Crime of Monsieur Lange, Sunrise, His Girl Friday, L'atalante, etc. are greater than Welles' film.
"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2010, 04:29:59 PM »
A real interesting question would be what was the greatest movie before Citizen Kane.  What movie did Citizen Kane displace as numero uno.

Offhand, my picks areThe Passion of Joan of Arc and The Rules of the Game, and neither has been displaced by CK.  There are also many that I'd rather watch given a choice between any of them and CK which is not to say that I think, for example, Vampyr, The Crime of Monsieur Lange, Sunrise, His Girl Friday, L'atalante, etc. are greater than Welles' film.

I would say Sunrise was the greatest, and that CK never replaced it, but that's just me.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2010, 05:08:45 PM »

It is Joan of Arc, and that's maybe a better film anyway. I love Kane though.

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2010, 01:37:24 PM »
My last list has the following earlier films ranked ahead of Kane:

1. Sunrise
2. Duck Soup
3. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
4. The Rules of the Game
5. The Shop Around the Corner
6. Stagecoach
7. Bringing Up Baby

But if you're looking for a GOAT to exalt as opposed to a personal favorite, I'd suggest either Sunrise or Intolerance as doing for film in the teens and twenties what Kane did for films of the thirties (summarize and exemplify).
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 01:39:54 PM by sdedalus »
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

rambler

• I don't object to a reasonable amount of trouble.
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2010, 11:36:12 AM »
My last list has the following earlier films ranked ahead of Kane:

1. Sunrise
2. Duck Soup
3. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
4. The Rules of the Game
5. The Shop Around the Corner
6. Stagecoach
7. Bringing Up Baby

You know the more movies you post about the more I like you.
"It's Subjective": an experiment in why we like what we like
http://www.filmspotting.net/forum/index.php?topic=9585.msg558331#msg558331