Author Topic: Paul is Dead (2000)  (Read 4694 times)

Turtle Tuck

Paul is Dead (2000)
« on: June 22, 2010, 04:24:30 AM »
"Paul is Dead" was a German made for TV movie in 2000. I never heard of it until yesterday when I came across the title while searching for something else at Internet Movie Database. Since I'm a long time Beatles fan this story really intrigues me and I'd like to see it. Has anyone ever heard of it or have any clue to where/how to find it? Thanks.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0232293/usercomments

Synopsis by andru62 at IMDb:

"Paul Is Dead" is a coming-of-age tale that revolves uniquely around the famous fable of Beatle Paul McCartney's death. Although this rumor took place in the late 60s, the action in this film is moved forward 11 years to 1980 and a small town in Germany. A young boy, through an amazing concatenation of events, comes to believe that Paul is not only dead, but that he was MURDERED by an Englishman named Billy Shears. And Mr. Shears is right there, in young Tobias's tiny German hamlet! Tobias becomes a sleuth as he tries to figure out what is going on. At the same time, he grows up, passing from the lightheartedness of childhood into the harsh reality of the adult world. The film is both moving and oddly charming. A perfect "10". Can't wait to see this director's first Hollywood effort!

Turtle Tuck

Re: Paul is Dead (2000)
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 12:05:51 AM »
Nevermind, I found a copy. It's really good, especially if you are a Beatles fan, as I am. Even has several Beatles songs as background music.

lowks

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 07:04:50 AM »
Can't even find this one RT. Only thing I found close to it is "Pauly Shore is dead" but I am sure you are not meaning that one haha!

Turtle Tuck

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 04:52:48 AM »
Can't even find this one RT. Only thing I found close to it is "Pauly Shore is dead" but I am sure you are not meaning that one haha!

Yeah, actually Paul Is Dead is  a German made for TV movie so I'm pretty sure it's never been released in the US. It doesn't even have English subtitles (yet). I'm working on having a German friend make some but it will take a month or more. It is listed on Internet Movie Database and is available online if you search for it.

twizzler

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 05:57:21 PM »
I'll tell you what's NOT good along these lines:

"Paul McCartney Really Is Dead - the Last Testament of George Harrison"

I'm a big Beatles fan, and I went a few weeks ago to an "Abbey Road on the River" festival in D.C. They did a screening of the film there, and talk about unintentionally funny. The conceit of the "documentary" is that some no-name studio receives a recording in the mail that claims to be the voice of George Harrison explaining that Paul really did die in a car accident, and that they covered it up because British intelligence agents said it would cause a rash of suicides if Beatlemaniacs learned the cute one was dead. They replace Paul with "Faul" - a fake Paul McCartney. It gets more and more absurd, including a line from "Harrison" that suggests a cop on the scene of the crash looked at Paul's disfigured dead face and said "Doesn't he look like a walrus?" TERRIBLE.

Turtle Tuck

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 12:27:15 PM »
I have returned! I'm back after a 5 year absence. Lost my link and site info. Drifted away. But am back now.

Turtle Tuck

PS - My new avatar photo is a very impish looking Ginger Baker as a youth.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 01:49:42 PM »
Welcome back, Turtle Tuck! Have the intervening years convinced you that Die Hard is superior to Back to the Future?

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 03:22:22 PM »
Leading the witness!
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2015, 07:07:41 PM »
to the correct answer
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Tim

• Elite Member
  • Be excellent to each other
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2015, 07:39:33 PM »
How many threads can we hijack for the good of Die Hard?
"Only cinema narrows its concern down to its content, that is to its story. It should, instead, concern itself with its form, its structure." Peter Greenaway

love