Author Topic: The Macho-thon  (Read 4409 times)

tinyholidays

• Elite Member
  • It's a hard world for little things.
The Macho-thon
« on: June 28, 2010, 12:33:33 AM »
WELCOME TO MACHO-THON

We've already established that my movie-watching is primarily motivated by shame. My current greatest for-shamer is a list that sits angrily at the bottom of my Flickchart profile. It's called "Movies I Haven't Seen," and it shows the highest ranked films on the site I that "haven't seen." I'm putting haven't seen in scare quotes because there are actually a few films on this list that I have seen (Die Hard, Ghostbusters, Jaws). These films I feel are discussed so often that my hazy recollection of them really isn't sufficient.

But why "macho-thon"?

From the Flickchart blog:

It’s always fascinating to me to compare all these Flickchart rankings to see what they say about the Flickchart community. For instance, When in Rome has been ranked less than Mary and Max above despite being much higher profile. This tells me: A. That Flickcharters are awesome as a whole and watch good, interesting movies more than bad ones, B. that there are not a lot of females here, and C. Flickcharting guys have as great taste in girls as they do in movies, and they aren’t forced to go see fluff like this.

As demonstrated in both the content and the rhetoric (not that rhetoric isn't a form of content...) above, Flickchart is kind of bro-town. Actually, before I decided on (the much more simple) "The Macho-thon," I thought about calling this the "Brotion Pictures Marathon." Yeah, Macho-thon is better.

So, as it turns out, the films that confront me on that dreaded profile list are heavily action, mob, and sci-fi-oriented. Left without any motivation to watch (or re-watch) these films, I just would not get the job done. This situation calls for a marathon.

The Films

I am including all 21 films I have listed as "unseen" from the Flickchart top 100, plus 1 bonus that immediately came to my dad's mind when I told him about this project. I will be watching the films in order of reverse ranking, except where a franchise becomes involved.

1. Donnie Darko (#90)
2. The Bourne Supremacy (#86)
3. The Bourne Ultimatum (#78)
4. Clerks  (#84)
5. American History X (#77)
6. The Prestige (#75)
7. Taxi Driver (#73)
8. A Clockwork Orange (#69)
9. 12 Monkeys (#68)
10. Full Metal Jacket (#63)
11. Blade Runner (#51)
12. Aliens (#47)
13. Jaws (#46)
14. The Shining (#44)
15. The Terminator (#39)
16. Terminator 2: Judgment Day (#62)
17. The Usual Suspects (#25)
18. Goodfellas (#22)
19. Reservoir Dogs (#21)
20. Die Hard (#20)
21. Ghostbusters (#15)

Special Leslie's Dad Bonus:  Mad Max (#549)

Let the gunfire begin!

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
Re: The Macho-thon
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 12:38:51 AM »
Can't wait to see your Super Macho Face grading system.  :)
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 12:40:49 AM »
I really hope you have seen Alien and will watch Alien3 after the mostly crap Aliens. Other than that (and a word of caution against Goodfellas), looks like fun!

I hadn't thought of The Prestige as a manly movie but thinking about it again it makes sense. I won't say more until you've seen it, though.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 12:42:16 AM »
1. Donnie Darko (#90)
4. Clerks  (#84)
5. American History X (#77)
6. The Prestige (#75)
8. A Clockwork Orange (#69)
9. 12 Monkeys (#68)
10. Full Metal Jacket (#63)
16. Terminator 2: Judgment Day (#62)
17. The Usual Suspects (#25)
20. Die Hard (#20)
21. Ghostbusters (#15)

Wow, I've seen all of the marathon films and really like over half of them (as indicated above). I guess I'm going to have to turn in my sissy card. Should be a good marathon.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 12:45:30 AM by Bondo »

tinyholidays

• Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 12:43:06 AM »
Can't wait to see your Super Macho Face grading system.  :)

Oh! I meant to mention this! I'm actually going to be using a new rating system for this marathon. I will not reveal it yet, but I do not think that it will disappoint. (It will still be imagistic.)

I really hope you have seen Alien and will watch Alien3 after the mostly crap Aliens. Other than that (and a word of caution against Goodfellas), looks like fun!

Yup, have seen Alien.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 12:44:31 AM »

Yup, have seen Alien.

Good news! Alien3 is perhaps even more macho than Aliens. Everybody except for Ripley is a badass prison inmate with shaved heads and glasses.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2010, 12:45:48 AM »
Oh! I meant to mention this! I'm actually going to be using a new rating system for this marathon. I will not reveal it yet, but I do not think that it will disappoint. (It will still be imagistic.)
Nice.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2010, 12:58:07 AM »
Jaws!  Blade Runner! Die Hard!  Terminator 2!  Nice!

Someone warned you about getting the right cut of Blade Runner yet?  The "Final Cut" is the one you want from what I hear. 
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

Beavermoose

• Godfather
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2010, 12:59:24 AM »
All great movies that should be seen by everyone, regardless of sex.
You'll definitely be more macho by the time you're done.

tinyholidays

• Elite Member
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2010, 01:00:08 AM »
Jaws!  Blade Runner! Die Hard!  Terminator 2!  Nice!

Someone warned you about getting the right cut of Blade Runner yet?  The "Final Cut" is the one you want from what I hear. 

After seeing pixote be very adamant about Final Cut on the 80s bracket thread, yes, that's what I'll be getting.