Author Topic: We don't need to show you no stinking badges!  (Read 1247 times)

agenator

We don't need to show you no stinking badges!
« on: July 02, 2010, 01:32:10 AM »
Just finished Treasure of the Sierra Madres, another step on my AFI list. I thought this movie was absolutely superb. The most recent movie I could compare it to would be Pirates of the Caribbean (the first one). It had the right mix of humor, action, deep message, and high entertainment value. I thought it was one of the films that truly deserved to be in the top 100.

Heres my discussion question for this movie: What moral/deep messages did you walk away with after watching this movie?
The messages I picked up on from this film were that "what goes around comes around/karma", that greed and power can absolutely corrupt somebody, that someone who many appear to have turned completely corrupt is most likely a decent person at heart (I got that from the line where Howard, the old timer states that even though he has taken the share of the loot he is still a decent person deep down), and that in the end money/wealth is not as important as life or family.

But, I feel like I may have missed a bigger picture message so I can't wait to hear what you have to say.

rambler

• I don't object to a reasonable amount of trouble.
Re: We don't need to show you no stinking badges!
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 09:09:22 PM »
Congrats on your good taste.

I personally feel that the message of this movie is a very unusual one for Hollywood; contentment and appreciation.

When Dobbs begs for the 3rd time from the same guy (John Huston) it's not only a great story moment it's also a great character reveal, "I'm sorry mister, I never looked at your face, just your hand and the money." He has no appreciation for either the act of generosity or for the gift itself, all he sees is more; and with that simple introduction a story-arch is born.

Howard though demonstrates both kinds of appreciation;
1) knowing the value of things( Examples: "An ounce of gold, mister, is worth what it is because of the human labor that went into the finding and the getting of it." & "Sometimes water's more precious than gold" )
2) showing gratitude for what he's received (thanking the mountain)

Howard also has learned to be content; win or lose, rise or fall, he can enjoy the ride... if he's walking away with his health. His great ambition is for a maintainable lifestyle, and when we last see him he's going off to enjoy "three meals a day, five if I want 'em", simple shelter, and a small society of neighbors where he can be appreciated for his experience.

Curtin goes away immensely richer than he started, having learned "the worst ain't so bad when it finally happens. Not half as bad as you figure it will be before it's happened. I'm no worse off than I was in Tampico. All I'm out is a couple hundred bucks when you come right down to it. Not very much compared to what Dobbsie lost."

That's my perspective, and I think that's a fairly legitimate theme to read into it.
Based on the films he directed John Huston seems to have liked the struggle of dignity and honor in the face of great potential. That's certainly a part of the reason that some of them hold up so well.
"It's Subjective": an experiment in why we like what we like
http://www.filmspotting.net/forum/index.php?topic=9585.msg558331#msg558331

agenator

Re: We don't need to show you no stinking badges!
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 11:46:10 PM »
@rambler:
Yea I completely agree with that now that you mention it. In today's Hollywood (and perhaps even during that time) it really contradicts most of the message the industry sends out (intentional or otherwise). It would be nice to see more films that put this same kind of message in them. In a world thats dominated by whoever has the biggest/best toys wins perhaps films about being content with the cards your dealt could stand out hmmm...

As a side note I'm really happy now that I finally understand where that stinking badges line comes from... lol

love