love

Author Topic: Bill's Mega Disney Animated Marathon Thread  (Read 23881 times)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Bill's Mega Disney Animated Marathon Thread
« Reply #60 on: August 03, 2010, 08:02:32 PM »
Ok so here's my big beef with the movie: Kuzco is not a likable protagonist, in fact he's an asshole.

This sounds like something I'd say :) I actually liked Dinosaur and Atlantis more than Emperor's New Groove.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #61 on: August 03, 2010, 10:48:19 PM »
"Why do we even have that lever?"

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #62 on: August 04, 2010, 03:40:23 PM »
Ok so here's my big beef with the movie: Kuzco is not a likable protagonist, in fact he's an asshole. The first time I saw this movie I couldn't help but feel confused, I'd been so used to having either these young innocent characters, they were brave and nice and adventurous. Characters to look up to. Kuzco is just a jerk.

He's sort of supposed to be a jerk though. I found him to be very much in the vain of a Larry David or Woody Allen, the neurotic jerk, and I find neurotic jerks quite funny.

Of course the film is a tale of redemption and discovery and Kuzco does "learn" to be nice eventually, but up until that point I couldn't feel invested in his character. Unlike you I didn't find the breaking the fourth wall stuff endearing, in fact it was very annoying. The part where the record skips and he pauses the film to remind the viewer that the film is about him just made me hate him even more. The fact that Pacha sticks with him even after he betrays him made me even more angry.

I can't say anything to this other than, I felt differently.

Yzma is a boring villain (when it comes to advisers wanting to steal the throne, Jafar is king). She's so boring  that her sidekick steal the spotlight from her, I don't know if I can say that for any other Disney villains.

She's not really a villain, she's more of a foil with some evil tendencies. Like every other character in the film she exists for the comedic laughs, she's too much of a buffoon to ever be an effective villain, and that's why Dindal and company play here more as a joke than a villain.

An unlikable protagonist and a boring villain doesn't make much of a film. As you said Kronk is great and I did like the last third of the film, once Kuzco has his change of heart and he develops his friendship with Pacha, but its not nearly enough to redeem the rest of the film.

Obviously I disagree, but it's all good in the hood.  :)

Next up is Atlantis? :) Or are you going back to Fantasia 2000?

I'm going to get to Fantasia/2000 as soon as I can procure a copy. My girlfriend has it on VHS, but I'd rather not go that route, so it might be a bit. She says she wants the DVd and told me to give her a couple of weeks and she would get it from somewhere, so we'll see. It's one of my neurotic tendencies, I only review stuff on DVD now, for the whole screenshot process I guess. Yeah, I'm weird. :) So yeah, next is Atlantis and Fantasia 2000 will happen whenever I find a copy.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #63 on: August 04, 2010, 04:17:21 PM »
You see, Beavermoose, this is the problem with Emperor's New Groove-- people keep comparing it to other Disney films and it is like nothing in their filmography.  It is much more like Looney Tunes from the 40s than anything else.  To see Yzma as a "Disney villain" or Kuzko as a Disney "hero" is just comparing apples to oranges.  If this film HAD been released by Dreamworks, it would be seen as among their best, simply because it really is a good movie put in the wrong categories.  Instead, it keeps being seen as a "Disney film", which has hurt its reception.

Emperor's New Groove is in the top 5 of my family's favorite movies of all time, alongside Spirited Away and Finding Nemo.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #64 on: August 04, 2010, 04:29:22 PM »
Massively Unpopular Opinion: I think Home on the Range has many of the same strengths and weaknesses.  It also has an amazing yodel number sung by Randy Quaid.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #65 on: August 04, 2010, 04:31:16 PM »
Massively Unpopular Opinion: I think Home on the Range has many of the same strengths and weaknesses.  It also has an amazing yodel number sung by Randy Quaid.

One major difference: Home on the Range isn't funny.  At all.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Beavermoose

• Godfather
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
« Reply #66 on: August 04, 2010, 05:53:16 PM »
You see, Beavermoose, this is the problem with Emperor's New Groove-- people keep comparing it to other Disney films and it is like nothing in their filmography.  It is much more like Looney Tunes from the 40s than anything else.  To see Yzma as a "Disney villain" or Kuzko as a Disney "hero" is just comparing apples to oranges.  If this film HAD been released by Dreamworks, it would be seen as among their best, simply because it really is a good movie put in the wrong categories.  Instead, it keeps being seen as a "Disney film", which has hurt its reception.

Emperor's New Groove is in the top 5 of my family's favorite movies of all time, alongside Spirited Away and Finding Nemo.

Well I'm not saying Kuzco is a "hero". He is the protagonist, the movie is about him (as he says on multiple occasions). He's just not a character I enjoy following.

He's sort of supposed to be a jerk though. I found him to be very much in the vain of a Larry David or Woody Allen, the neurotic jerk, and I find neurotic jerks quite funny.

Kuzco is more egotistical than neurotic, he simply thinks he is better than everyone. Allen is more of a believer in intellectual superiority, yet he is often a very self-deprecating character.

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #67 on: August 06, 2010, 03:17:12 PM »
Atlantis: The Lost Empire (2001)

No matter the filmmaker in question, undoubtedly they will have their strengths and weaknesses. Gary Trousdale and Kirk Wise aren’t exempt from this rule, Atlantis: The Lost Empire proves this in spades. It is the complete opposite of the directing duos previous Disney fare, Beauty And The Beast and The Hunchback Of Notre Dame, and in being so different from said fare, Atlantis: The Lost Empire paints a clear picture of two men who are out of their realm when trying to tell a story not aided by song.

Read the rest, here.

Rankings:
1) Fantasia (1940)
2) Alice In Wonderland (1951)
3) Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs (1937)
4) The Lion King (1994)
5) The Little Mermaid (1989)
6) Robin Hood (1973)
7) The Great Mouse Detective (1986)
8) The Emperor's New Groove (2000)
9) The Hunchback Of Notre Dame (1996)
10) Beauty And The Beast (1991)
11) Pocahontas (1995)
12) Bambi (1942)
13) Aladdin (1992)
14) Cinderella (1950)
15) Lady And The Tramp (1955)
16) One Hundred And One Dalmatians (1961)
17) Mulan (1998)
18) Dinosaur (2000)
19) The Jungle Book (1967)
20) Dumbo (1941)
21) The Many Adventures Of Winnie The Pooh (1977)
22) Pinocchio (1940)
23) The Fox And The Hound (1981)
24) Peter Pan (1953)
25) The Sword In The Stone (1963)
26) The Adventures Of Ichabod And Mr. Toad (1949)
27) Mary Poppins (1964)
28) Fun & Fancy Free (1947)
29) The Three Caballeros (1944)
30) Tarzan (1999)
31) Sleeping Beauty (1959)
32) The Black Cauldron (1985)
33) Saludos Amigos (1942)
34) The Rescuers Down Under (1990)
35) Make Mine Music (1946)
36) The AristoCats (1970)
37) Atlantis: The Lost Empire (2001)
38) The Rescuers (1977)
39) Melody Time (1948)
40) Oliver & Company (1988)
41) Hercules (1997)

Beavermoose

• Godfather
« Reply #68 on: August 06, 2010, 11:56:29 PM »
Alrighty, gonna watch this one tomorrow and comment. I think I've seen it once before but don't remember much.

Beavermoose

• Godfather
« Reply #69 on: August 08, 2010, 01:22:03 PM »
Atlantis:
Ok so. Holy crap this film looks good. Combining computer animation and effects with traditional animation this film really pushes the visual boundaries. The colours and light effects are really something to behold. Disney has always upped the ante and this film is no exception.
I liked the film more than you did.
The film plays out like a typical adventure film (see Indiana Jones) , action set-pieces followed by some exploration and a bit of conversation, with some mystical elements thrown in. Yes the plot is pretty thin and generic and predictable but its still a really fun. I have to agree with oldkid's comment on your blog post, there are too many characters and too little time to get learn about them; a five minute scene around a fireplace with the characters talking one line sentences about their past just isn't worth much. Story wise there isn't much there. On an adventure however they are very fun characters to have along.
The big battle scenes are exciting. I never really felt that the characters were in any danger though. Of course it's a Disney film but other films have done it better.

Its not amazing, its not horrible its just a really great looking, fun adventure film.

Rankings (2000+ films only):
1. Atlantis: The Lost Empire (2001)
2. The Emperor's New Groove (2000)
3. Dinosaur (2000)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 01:45:16 PM by Beavermoose »