Author Topic: Why do you hate Pixar's Cars?  (Read 11980 times)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Why do you hate Pixar's Cars?
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2010, 07:32:32 PM »
Because Owen Wilson is the worst person to ever walk on the face of the Earth. Also, Cars is probably better than Wall*E. Definitely better than Monsters, Inc. and A Bug's Life. Also better than Toy Story 2, and maybe 3. And Up. And The Incredibles.

You should show Owen Wilson some respect. Without him there would be no Wes Anderson and without Wes Anderson we wouldn't have Rushmore or Fantastic Mr. Fox.

Where is the downside here? If you had said without him there would be no Zoolander on the other hand.

I'd put Cars ahead of Toy Story 2, A Bug's Life and Ratapooie so my answer to why I hate Cars is I don't.

UltimateOutsider

• Scrubbers!!!
    • Ultimate Outsider
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2010, 07:48:12 PM »
If it were a Dreamworks film, it would have made more sense.
Deeeeeuymn, someone at Dreamworks is feelin' the burn. Up until recently, the below cartoon pretty much summed up my impression of Dreamworks, but it's clear that recently they're attempting to... be more like Pixar (original stories that aren't necessarily about talking animals). Which is a start!

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2010, 08:04:33 PM »
If it were a Dreamworks film, it would have made more sense.
Deeeeeuymn, someone at Dreamworks is feelin' the burn. Up until recently, the below cartoon pretty much summed up my impression of Dreamworks, but it's clear that recently they're attempting to... be more like Pixar (original stories that aren't necessarily about talking animals). Which is a start!

I took a selfish amount of satisfaction in that comic :) 
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2010, 08:07:15 PM »
Because Owen Wilson is the worst person to ever walk on the face of the Earth.

You should tone down the hyperbole, or look up Pol Pot, Ayatollah Khomeini,  Idi Amin, Omar al-Bashir or Hitler.  

It's not even close.

Owen Wilson is still alive, give him time.

Because Owen Wilson is the worst person to ever walk on the face of the Earth. Also, Cars is probably better than Wall*E. Definitely better than Monsters, Inc. and A Bug's Life. Also better than Toy Story 2, and maybe 3. And Up. And The Incredibles.

You should show Owen Wilson some respect. Without him there would be no Wes Anderson and without Wes Anderson we wouldn't have Rushmore or Fantastic Mr. Fox.

Too true, but also without Wes Anderson we would not have all the other crap he has made. If Wilson was responsible for Baumbach things may be different, but he is not, so it is not.

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2010, 08:17:47 PM »
I know 3 under-six-year-old boys who can quote Cars word for word AND sing all the songs.
Texan Down Under

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2010, 08:18:55 PM »
I actually like Cars more than most other folks (For me, A Bug's Life is easily the "least" of the Pixars.).  

Good characters, some solid laughs, GORGEOUS underrated animation, but a very average plot.  Cars suffers from what I call the "Leap of Faith" syndrome.  (Now there's a dated reference.)  The trailer shows a film about racing and cool cars, but it ends up being a film about nostalgia and small town America.  For me, I find the latter the more compelling story - so I had a good time with it.  

But if you think about it, it's essentially the same fish out of water story as "Sweet Home Alabama", "Doc Hollywood", "Funny Farm", "Baby Boom" and the aforementioned "Leap of Faith".  

Now my bias comes in where I find the idea of small-town America very appealing and tend to enjoy the "city boy gets his come upin's" trope.  
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

Marbe

• Elite Member
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2010, 09:42:23 PM »
This.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2010, 10:09:53 PM »
(For me, A Bug's Life is easily the "least" of the Pixars.).  
:'(

pappaus

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2010, 08:28:58 AM »
I disliked this movie laos.  In thinking about it, I have 3 reasons.

1) The lead character came into the movie as a completely unlikable snot of a character.  Pixar leads are usually a little more 3 dimensional even at the start.

2) There was no real antagonist. Characters would come and go to serve the role of antagonist, but nobody stuck around for a while.

3) Who really wants to see living machines.  Wall-E is a big exception, but that movie had a large portion of the story with people.

An imperfect and subjective list of things I didn't like about this movie.

Also Mater does get the Jar Jar Binks award for most annoying character. 

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2010, 09:48:30 AM »
I love Mater. I was surprised to love Mater, but I really do love him. And As to your concern about Lightning being a two-dimensional character at the star, I think that's only partly true. But even if it is true, the point of the film is that it takes this character who is totally self-centered and develops him and changes him until he has so much more to live for. He finds the value in friendship and community.

It's an undeniably simple movie, but I find it very entertaining, I love the characters, I love the world created, and I love love love love love the visuals and the animation.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad