love

Author Topic: Why do you hate Pixar's Cars?  (Read 11981 times)

Tequila

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Why do you hate Pixar's Cars?
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2010, 02:37:02 PM »
I'm just not interested in cars.
'What am I doing? I'm quietly judging you'
http://letterboxd.com/Tagave/

UltimateOutsider

• Scrubbers!!!
    • Ultimate Outsider
« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2010, 02:50:31 PM »
Actually, Despicable Me is the first computer animated film from Universal Studios and Illumination Entertainment. No Dreamworks involvement.
Haha, case in point, I guess. I probably just assumed Despicable Me was Dreamworks since I knew it wasn't Pixar. I've never made that mistake with a Pixar film. I really enjoyed (Sony's) Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs, too. Very funny and well done.

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2010, 02:53:32 PM »
I don't answer questions that already suppose I 'like' or 'dislike' something.
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

UltimateOutsider

• Scrubbers!!!
    • Ultimate Outsider
« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2010, 03:01:01 PM »
There are lots of people who hate Cars, and I was addressing those people.

"I wasn't making any assumptions, brother."

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2010, 09:16:44 PM »
Hey, nice marmot!

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2010, 09:29:55 PM »
I have a tenancy to like and dislike things. However, I have an even bigger tenancy to be totally indifferent to the whole process.

Scott Ham

« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2010, 02:05:35 PM »
Having watched Cars a few dozen times because of my kids, I can say that I don't hate Cars. As a matter of fact, I like Cars a lot.  The animation is great and the script is tight as a drum.

I probably don't relate that well to talking cars. I certainly never liked Knight Rider. But then, I don't relate well to talking fish, either. Or talking toys for that matter. Or robots or monsters or bugs.

But the film has enough charm to carry the story even if Lightning is a bit unlikable for the first half.

The irony is, it's probably the most kid friendly of all the Pixar movies despite the unlikable Lightning McQueen.  It's certainly more kid friendly than Toy Story 3 which is way too dark for younger children and thankfully doesn't feature the Disney trademarked Dying Mother.

No film is for everyone and Cars is no exception but the craftsmanship is certainly there in spades whether you like Larry the Cable Guy or not.
--

Scott

"Buy the ticket, take the ride."

Paul Phoenix

• Elite Member
  • The 'Kid-Gloves' are off
    • Letterboxd Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2015, 08:37:25 AM »
I just finished watching Coppola's One From the Heart. I think a lot of the sentiment I carried from that film could be used here. While I prefer it when Pixar has a philosophical story to tell, I do enjoy its lighter moments. In fact, I enjoyed Cars over A Bug's Life; at least Cars has fancy music like Our Town and Real Gone (Sheryl Crow brought an energy to the movie's opening).

"Our Town" in particular, was a wonderful song that bemoans the industrialization of the humble towns. It's very sentimental, and you either relate to it or you don't. It's just a nice, relaxing ride with Pixar. Much like its central message, it's a journey more significant than its destination.
"I used to think the worst thing in life was to end up all alone. It's not. The worst thing in life is ending up with people who make you feel all alone." - Lance Clayton (played by Robin Williams), World's Greatest Dad

Eternally seeking variety. 'Tis the spice of life for me.

MattDrufke

« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2015, 08:45:28 AM »
I'm with Scott Ham on this.

Cars was the first movie I took my son to where he really sat down and watch the whole thing, and I probably watched it twice a week for a year when we bought it on DVD. My house is still covered in Cars toys. It's a really solid and enjoyable film.

Cars 2, however..... yuck.
@ihatemattdrufke

love