love

Author Topic: Salo vs. Sweet Movie?  (Read 4691 times)

Alan Smithee

• Elite Member
    • http://cherrypicker.tumblr.com/
Salo vs. Sweet Movie?
« on: July 08, 2010, 08:55:39 PM »
I've had Salo in my Netflix que for a very long time, but with the recent after hours talk coming up i figured i would bump it. Another movie that i recently watched was Sweet Movie, and now im not sure if i want to watch Salo within such a short time period it might damage me beyond repair. So is Salo worse than Sweet Movie? It can't be as bad as Sweet Movie can it?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 11:29:16 PM by Alan Smithee »

UltimateOutsider

• Scrubbers!!!
    • Ultimate Outsider
Re: Salo vs. Sweet Movie?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 09:28:34 PM »
*adds Sweet Movie to his Netflix*

Salo is a generally well-made film, but it is a punishing, soul-crushing experience. I have a very high tolerance for kink, violence, horror, etc, but the relentless cruelty (and the relentless discussion and consumption of human waste) just depressed me for several days after. I think it may have been Pasolini's goal to punish the audience, so in that sense the film is successful.

Anyway, if Sweet Movie didn't leave you with a need to hug a puppy and stock up on Imodium, it's probably a more rewarding experience than Salo.

Mr C

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 02:56:11 AM »
I can barely remember SWEET MOVIE whereas SALO has cattle branded certain scenes into the deep recesses of my brain... Also try SINGAPORE SLING for another perverse oddity (not on the same level as SALO though).
Let's do some wholesome DVD spanking.

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 08:17:14 PM »
Haven't seen Salo yet, but I thought Sweet Movie was a lot of fun and a pretty ingenious piece of cinema.

Alan Smithee

• Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 11:22:14 PM »
Apparently on the Sweet Movie extras it mentions Pasolini was influenced by Sweet Movie and also directed a dubbed version of it.

I recently read a 25 most disturbing movies of all time list that had Salo at number 3 i believe and Sweet Movie was at number 18.

Alan Smithee

• Elite Member
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 05:09:44 AM »
I think im going to go for it but this quote scared me a little.

"If this scenario was in loonier, more casual, or less talented hands, your more jaded filmgoers might guess that, in the exploitation vein, it aimed for kinky guilty pleasures.

Think again: Passolini, who was murdered shortly after the release of this, his last film, is dead serious in Salo and not screwing around."

UltimateOutsider

• Scrubbers!!!
    • Ultimate Outsider
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 12:12:53 PM »
"If this scenario was in loonier, more casual, or less talented hands, your more jaded filmgoers might guess that, in the exploitation vein, it aimed for kinky guilty pleasures.

Think again: Passolini, who was murdered shortly after the release of this, his last film, is dead serious in Salo and not screwing around."
Yeah, it's definitely not a simple exploitation flick.

Variable

• Stroke Me Lady Fame
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 09:11:39 PM »
I haven't seen sweet movie but I'm curious what 2 films scored higher than Salo on a disturbing movies list.

wow. you won't forget salo.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2010, 09:24:44 PM »
I haven't seen sweet movie but I'm curious what 2 films scored higher than Salo on a disturbing movies list.

I believe it was Cannibal Holocaust and August Underground, a "film" which truly takes the cake.  It's a single camera simulated snuff film following a serial killer and the giggling assistant who records everything with his cheap video camera.  I don't recommend seeking it out.  It beats Salo because in spite of its low-aims, the gore effects and performances are extremely realistic.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 01:04:11 AM by 1SO »

UltimateOutsider

• Scrubbers!!!
    • Ultimate Outsider
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2010, 12:01:01 AM »

I believe it was Cannibal Holocaust, which is dated now and August Underground, a "film" which truly takes the cake.  It's a single camera simulated snuff film following a serial killer and the giggling assistant who records everything with his cheap video camera.  I don't recommend seeking it out.  It beats Salo because in spite of its low-aims, the gore effects and performances are extremely realistic.
Cannibal Holocaust would actually be a good- perhaps even great- film if not for the needless close-up scenes of Amazon rain forest creatures being slaughtered. There are at least 6 scenes where animals were killed purely for shock value. (You could make the argument that they serve to demonstrate how man is more brutal than cruel Nature itself, but I don't think the director ever even tried to defend that position, and you could make that point without killing real creatures.) When characters vomit in the scenes it's because the actors were so revolted and upset. I would love to see a cut of that film without the animal sequences; some of the scenes with the cannibal tribe are absolutely haunting.

August Underground... I am very well-versed in exploitation/slasher/horror from the 60s-present, and the August Underground films are among the most revolting things I've ever seen (I could only bear to see the first two; I never bothered with the third). There are aspects of Salo that make it worth seeing... there is artistry amid the depravity. But August Underground are really just simulated snuff films. They are so realistic that they're truly upsetting, and their point-of-view style simply puts you in the mind of the sociopath- not a healthy perspective for anyone expecting some kind of artistic statement or edification.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 12:03:03 AM by UltimateOutsider »

love