Author Topic: Salo vs. Sweet Movie?  (Read 4693 times)

UltimateOutsider

• Scrubbers!!!
    • Ultimate Outsider
Re: Salo vs. Sweet Movie?
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2010, 06:54:28 PM »
I'm a little worried for our heroes in Chicago, as they've always seemed put off by disturbing stuff and this is the equivalent of jumping into the deep end of an empty pool.
I really think they need to bring Sam in for a three-way review on this one. It would be glorious.

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2010, 07:12:18 PM »
I'm a little worried for our heroes in Chicago, as they've always seemed put off by disturbing stuff and this is the equivalent of jumping into the deep end of an empty pool.
I really think they need to bring Sam in for a three-way review on this one. It would be glorious.

the best way to watch this is with an audience

Harold Chasen

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2010, 09:33:20 PM »
If you're watching it at home, I'd recommend a very stiff drink and a chaser movie.  I watched a documentary about Andy Kaufman's wrestling career afterwards and was happy for it. 

Alan Smithee

• Elite Member
    • http://cherrypicker.tumblr.com/
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2010, 04:47:34 AM »
I also had Salo in my queue for quite awhile and decided that the upcoming After Hours was as good a reason as any to sit down and watch it.  I checked it out last night and would absolutely recommend it if you have an interest.  Obviously, just know what you're getting into (and I have yet to read a review that exaggerated anything on screen).  This is the kind of movie that makes you want to take a Brillo pad to your head to get the images out afterwards, but holy cow is it powerful and far from exploitation schlock (which I often like for the record.)  I can honestly say that I haven't stopped thinking about it all day and completely understand why it is considered a masterpiece.

I'm not sure if I'd ever want to watch it again, but if it means anything I moved the special features disc to the top of my queue today.  Can't wait to see the documentaries.  I'm a little worried for our heroes in Chicago, as they've always seemed put off by disturbing stuff and this is the equivalent of jumping into the deep end of an empty pool.

There's also a documentary with Pier Paolo Pasolini on the set of Salo on Youtube i don't know if that's the same one you're talking about though.

Harold Chasen

« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2010, 09:04:48 AM »
Must be.  There are three documentaries on the second disc and the best of the bunch has a lot of footage of Pasolini filming the last scene and talking about the movie.  Great stuff.