Author Topic: Inception  (Read 84798 times)

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
Re: Inception
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2010, 01:53:27 PM »
Inception

Christopher Nolan has pulled another masterful trick with his latest film, Inception. He suckers the audience in with the promise of beautiful and complex dreamscapes, but as the film moves along it becomes more and more clear that dreams are hardly the point – that Inception is actually a film about guilt and the way it infests and infects memory. Early on, Leonardo DiCaprio’s Cobb tells his young disciple, played by the wonderful Ellen Page, “Never create from your memory. Always imagine new places.” It’s a clever bit of misdirection, and by the end of the film it may be the most important line of all.

Read the rest at TheReelists.com!
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

Holly Harry

• Elite Member
  • Bite my shiny metal...Well, you know.
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2010, 04:12:04 PM »
It's astonishing how much Tom Hardy steals this movie.
"Political questions, if you go back thousands of years, are ephemeral, not important. History is the same thing over and over again."-Woody Allen.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2010, 04:28:42 PM »
It's astonishing how much Tom Hardy steals this movie.

He really was fun to watch whenever he was around.

Did anybody else find the character motivations a little vague? Eames, Ariadne, and Yusef in particular. Was there a discussion about how much everyone is going to get paid that I missed or could this be a clue...

Shutter island spoilers: Is it possible that the twist in Inception is the same as Shutter Island, i.e. every character besides Cobb (and I guess Mal) is an actor in an elaborate ruse to snap Cobb out of his own delusions (or in this case, dreams)?

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2010, 04:33:25 PM »
Also (for pix),

OMGZORS, NOLAN IS THE BEST DIRECTOR OF ALL TIME. THIS IS ALSO THE SMARTEST SCREENPLAY EVER WRITTEN. YOU WILL NEVER SEE A BETTER MOVIE FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE.

Holly Harry

• Elite Member
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2010, 04:36:46 PM »
If that's the twist, then it's deliberately made ambiguous. The "truth" of it is less important than your reaction to it and what it says about you (I.E. Tarkovsky's "Stalker").

Great movie.
"Political questions, if you go back thousands of years, are ephemeral, not important. History is the same thing over and over again."-Woody Allen.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2010, 04:41:13 PM »
Did anybody else find the character motivations a little vague? Eames, Ariadne, and Yusef in particular. Was there a discussion about how much everyone is going to get paid that I missed or could this be a clue...

They don't have a particular sum. Obviously Cobb does it so he can go home. The other guys clearly seem to be in it for money, which one can assume would be substantial since Saito is someone who can just buy airlines on a whim (great line that was). Money's been good enough for every other heist film. Ariadne seems to be in it for the sheer wonder. The architect's mind in being able to craft all these things she couldn't in the real world was quite a bonus (one assumes she could use the money as well). And of course they are all in too deep before they realize the stakes.

Shutter island spoilers: Is it possible that the twist in Inception is the same as Shutter Island, i.e. every character besides Cobb (and I guess Mal) is an actor in an elaborate ruse to snap Cobb out of his own delusions (or in this case, dreams)?

It seems possible that the attempt at inception was actually directed at Cobb. I mean, if they are actually in Fischer's dream with Ariadne as the architect, why do they get into Cobb's dream at the fourth level?

Speaking of which. After the set up of the "maze", I did feel a little let down that we don't much get to see one in action. Admittedly they have to short-cut it based on time at least on the third level.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2010, 04:50:47 PM »

They don't have a particular sum. Obviously Cobb does it so he can go home. The other guys clearly seem to be in it for money, which one can assume would be substantial since Saito is someone who can just buy airlines on a whim (great line that was). Money's been good enough for every other heist film. Ariadne seems to be in it for the sheer wonder. The architect's mind in being able to craft all these things she couldn't in the real world was quite a bonus (one assumes she could use the money as well). And of course they are all in too deep before they realize the stakes.

Which makes me wonder, why wasn't Ariadne more upset... she seemed awful helpful... more than felt natural for their relationship which developed so recently. But maybe I'm just making a mountain out of a molehill.

Holly Harry

• Elite Member
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2010, 04:52:12 PM »
Her role is kind of to be helpful, essentially.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2010, 04:54:16 PM »
Which makes me wonder, why wasn't Ariadne more upset... she seemed awful helpful... more than felt natural for their relationship which developed so recently. But maybe I'm just making a mountain out of a molehill.

Because she's one of those sensitive women-folk who isn't willing to sit by and ignore his emotional pain the way the guys are. This is a bit of a pat, gender typed role (and plays the foil to Mal's femme fatale) which is perhaps slightly problematic, but it does seem to be a certain aspect. And I suppose as the other architect there is some automatic bond between them.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2010, 04:58:26 PM »
I can go with that.