Author Topic: New post up at my blog! (my=any filmspotter who blogs)  (Read 290062 times)

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
Re: New post up at my blog! (my=any filmspotter who blogs)
« Reply #3880 on: August 30, 2016, 06:54:40 PM »
Excellent! Thank you, I love reading your reviews. They are always so thoughtful.
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #3881 on: August 30, 2016, 09:55:33 PM »
You're welcome! And thanks so much. :)

dheaton

• Public Transportation Snob
« Reply #3882 on: October 03, 2016, 03:01:21 PM »
I haven't been very active on these forums but am really trying to get back into writing and watching more films. This weekend, I finally saw Sing Street and loved it. I wrote up a review and also put together my Top 5 John Carney Music Sequences along with it. I'd love to get your thoughts!

http://www.ptsnob.com/2016/10/sing-street-and-top-5-john-carney-music.html
My Film and TV Blog - ptsnob.com
Letterboxd Profile - ptsnob

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #3883 on: October 03, 2016, 09:40:53 PM »
I haven't been very active on these forums but am really trying to get back into writing and watching more films. This weekend, I finally saw Sing Street and loved it. I wrote up a review and also put together my Top 5 John Carney Music Sequences along with it. I'd love to get your thoughts!

Good to have you stopping in, dheaton!
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

dheaton

« Reply #3884 on: October 04, 2016, 10:14:16 AM »

Good to have you stopping in, dheaton!

Thanks! I would be more involved, but I haven't seen enough 2016 movies! I have more time now, but I'm in the middle of a massive Gilmore Girls watch with my wife. We're about 2/3 of the way through, so that will change pretty soon!

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #3885 on: October 08, 2016, 07:43:01 AM »
Most recent reviews for Seattle Screen Scene, for any interested:

Our Little Sister

Swiss Army Man

Neon Demon (Adam and I were initially going to discuss this one on Filmspotting, but we had to switch to Swiss Army Man for scheduling reasons. Would have been fun to discuss, esp since I liked it a whole lot less than he did.  ;D )

Sunset Song

Under the Sun (just a capsule review here but a fascinating doc that I hope people can catch up with)

Long Way North (really beautiful animated film that hasn't gotten the attention it needs - the first-time director was the AD on Secret of Kells - it'd get my vote for a Filmspotting Brick)

I am watching Long Way North tomorrow at a cinema (french movies festival). It would be great to have an animated option for the Bricks.

Is there any episode of the podcast that you have appeared on already except that one ?
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

dheaton

« Reply #3886 on: October 18, 2016, 02:31:33 PM »
Yesterday, I wrote about my five favorite episodes from Season 1 of The West Wing.  I'm doing a slow re-watch while listening to the West Wing Weekly podcast.

http://www.ptsnob.com/2016/10/top-5-episodes-of-west-wing-season-one.html

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #3887 on: October 18, 2016, 07:20:47 PM »
Interesting #1 choice because that one is my favorite from the season also, but Joshua Malina was really tough on it during the podcast, which got me thinking if it's perhaps the most overrated episode of Season 1. What I like is the way the story passes cleanly between the cast so that if you didn't watch the Pilot it makes a perfect entry point into the series and one of the finest example of its greatness. (Like you say, "There’s just so much happening in this episode!")

dheaton

« Reply #3888 on: October 19, 2016, 10:09:06 AM »
Interesting #1 choice because that one is my favorite from the season also, but Joshua Malina was really tough on it during the podcast, which got me thinking if it's perhaps the most overrated episode of Season 1. What I like is the way the story passes cleanly between the cast so that if you didn't watch the Pilot it makes a perfect entry point into the series and one of the finest example of its greatness. (Like you say, "There’s just so much happening in this episode!")

I agreed with some of Joshua's criticisms in the podcast, but it still stands out as a favorite. It's kind of a mess in a certain way, but it still clicked the most with me. 

It's been interesting to note the ways that the show frequently resets (especially in you see the Previously On segments) and introduces everyone again. I believe the popularity was really growing throughout Season 1, and it was a different TV era. So many probably joined in the middle and didn't see the pilot. There was some heavy lifting that was needed to introduce everyone to viewers throughout the season. That makes the success even more impressive in a way.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #3889 on: October 20, 2016, 04:56:25 PM »
Excellent choices.  If I was forced to choose a top five, I'd probably chose the whole first season.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky