love

Author Topic: New post up at my blog! (my=any filmspotter who blogs)  (Read 289925 times)

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
Re: New post up at my blog! (my=any filmspotter who blogs)
« Reply #340 on: January 06, 2011, 12:14:49 AM »
Awesome shtuff there Sam. Wich I had shtuff like that to say. It was a lot more gradual than that for me.

My only bone to pick is that I think you're totally wrong on King Kong. It's a mess of a film, but there is so much in it that I absolutely love that I'm willing to overlook it being too long and overstuffed and filled with some pointless and shoddy effects. Fact is, I still cry every time that monkey falls off the Empire State Building. And I don't care, anyone who tells me that the original movie is better in every way, it's not. The original is better for what it is, a silly B movie with a giant ape chasing screaming people. It most certainly does not earn that sad ending. At least Jackson's Kong develops the Anne Darrow character and her relationship with the monkey.

But that's not important anyway. Main thing is, you wrote an awesomesauce article there. Good work.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #341 on: January 06, 2011, 08:14:40 AM »
And I don't care, anyone who tells me that the original movie is better in every way, it's not. The original is better for what it is, a silly B movie with a giant ape chasing screaming people. It most certainly does not earn that sad ending. At least Jackson's Kong develops the Anne Darrow character and her relationship with the monkey.

Jackson's version doesn't develop anything, it's just special effects after special effects. The original actually develops that relationship, and thus earns its ending, and that's one of many reasons why it is so much better than the unnecessary remake.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #342 on: January 06, 2011, 08:43:24 AM »
FroHam, I haven't seen the remake but having visited the 1933 last year I'm pretty sure you are wrong.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #343 on: January 06, 2011, 11:14:13 AM »
Guys. King Kong 33 is one of my favourite movies ever and I've seen it way too many times. There is no development. The most that could be said is that maybe it's a little sad that the monkey loved the girl so much and all she ever did was scream in his face. The remake, using some of the non-CGI dino/bug time actually takes the time to make you feel for both Kong and Darrow and their friendship. Maybe it didn't work for you, but it's definitely there and it worked for me.

Ultimately I always think about how I showed my sister the movies. She watched the 33 movie and thought it was a lot of fun but that all the people screaming got a bit annoying after a while. Then I took her to see the remake at the theatre and she enjoyed it too, but she also cried at the end.

Now I'm not saying the remake is better than the original. No way. It has way too many flaws for me to say that. But it overcomes those flaws to a large extent my eyes because I'm never bored when I watch it and I always buy into that monkey having feelings. The original movie is basically a perfect example of what it is. It doesn't aim high in terms of story or character but it succeeds at what it does brilliantly. Jackson's version aims much higher, but it stumbles due to the burden of having been in his head way too long. In the end though I still think it's a very good, maybe even great movie.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #344 on: January 06, 2011, 03:59:05 PM »
Is it worth starting a thread dedicated to "Why I Watch Films" write-ups on the possibility that others follow suit?

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #345 on: January 06, 2011, 04:19:14 PM »
Escape from Butcher Bay

Yea, I have a video game blog, too. Because movies don't keep me busy enough.

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #346 on: January 06, 2011, 10:02:18 PM »
No fancy intro, cute lead-in or anything other witicism. It's just there, all of it.

Why I Watch Films

Quite a read. It makes me want to write a similar article. Maybe, soon, I'm not sure.
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #347 on: January 06, 2011, 10:04:36 PM »
No fancy intro, cute lead-in or anything other witicism. It's just there, all of it.

Why I Watch Films

Quite a read. It makes me want to write a similar article. Maybe, soon, I'm not sure.

There's a thread for that. :)

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #348 on: January 06, 2011, 10:48:50 PM »

Why I Watch Films

There's a thread for that. :)

Sharp move.
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #349 on: January 07, 2011, 04:19:14 PM »
I was nominated for an award, read the post below to find out the who, what, where, why, and how you can vote,

Bill's Movie Emporium

love