love

Author Topic: New post up at my blog! (my=any filmspotter who blogs)  (Read 290017 times)

dheaton

• Public Transportation Snob
Re: New post up at my blog! (my=any filmspotter who blogs)
« Reply #3890 on: October 21, 2016, 08:39:16 AM »
Excellent choices.  If I was forced to choose a top five, I'd probably chose the whole first season.

That wouldn't be a terrible idea.  I feel like there aren't any total duds, but the top group of 9 or 10 do stand out more. The trick is finding a way to rank them from there. 
My Film and TV Blog - ptsnob.com
Letterboxd Profile - ptsnob

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #3891 on: October 21, 2016, 09:39:58 AM »
Because I tend to binge West Wing, I don't know that any ranking is possible for me.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #3892 on: October 21, 2016, 04:08:18 PM »
Excellent choices.  If I was forced to choose a top five, I'd probably chose the whole first season.

That wouldn't be a terrible idea.  I feel like there aren't any total duds, but the top group of 9 or 10 do stand out more. The trick is finding a way to rank them from there. 

The episodes that bungle the off screens relationships are the worst. Like when we learn four weeks later that someone broke up with his girlfriend, who was a major plot point for three episodes straight.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #3893 on: October 21, 2016, 07:03:05 PM »
Most recent reviews for Seattle Screen Scene, for any interested:

Long Way North (really beautiful animated film that hasn't gotten the attention it needs - the first-time director was the AD on Secret of Kells - it'd get my vote for a Filmspotting Brick)

I am watching Long Way North tomorrow at a cinema (french movies festival). It would be great to have an animated option for the Bricks.

Is there any episode of the podcast that you have appeared on already except that one ?
Sorry I missed this earlier! I'm not on the forum often enough. :(    Did you write about Long Way North somewhere?

Are you asking if I've been on another Filmspotting episode? No, unless you count a couple brief call-ins.  Or do you mean the podcast associated with Seattle Screen Scene, George Sanders Show/Frances Farmer Show?  I did talk briefly about Long Way North on Frances Farmer, as maybe you know already: https://seattlescreenscene.com/2016/05/30/the-frances-farmer-show-7-siff-2016-midpoint-report/ and I was also on a couple of the other SIFF-related podcasts. 

Sean and I also did a full length show together where we talked about Brighter Summer Day, Purple Rain, and SPL2. It's a long and ramble-ly episode, but the movies were fun to talk about for us. Not sure how fun it is to listen to.  :D    http://georgesanders.podbean.com/e/episode-5-a-brighter-summer-day-spl-2-and-purple-rain/

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #3894 on: October 22, 2016, 03:02:09 AM »
I am late on my review of that one. I was not planning on writing anything long though.

Thanks for the info.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

dheaton

« Reply #3895 on: October 31, 2016, 01:06:38 PM »
I refuse to let this thread die.  I saw Certain Women, the latest film from Kelly Reichardt, yesterday at the theater.  It's one of her best films, and I wrote about it on the blog:

http://www.ptsnob.com/2016/10/certain-women-review-kelly-reichardt.html

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #3896 on: October 31, 2016, 06:33:16 PM »
Keep it going, Dan!
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #3897 on: October 31, 2016, 06:40:00 PM »
I tend to just post in the appropriate film thread these days. Should start writing more non-film stuff and posting it in here.

dheaton

« Reply #3898 on: October 31, 2016, 09:33:42 PM »
I tend to just post in the appropriate film thread these days. Should start writing more non-film stuff and posting it in here.

I didn't see a thread for Certain Women out there. I probably should have started one. Not a bad idea to get things rolling.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #3899 on: November 11, 2016, 07:30:50 PM »
Not sure if I ever shared it here, but a long time back I wrote a piece about the tensions between being a Christian and a media consumer. I thought some of you might find it interesting.

love