love

Author Topic: Oldkid's Ultimately Cool (And Long) Top 100 Marathon  (Read 75473 times)

Mr C

Re: Oldkid's Ultimately Cool (And Long) Top 100 Marathon
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2010, 02:50:53 AM »
Vanilla Sky/Open Your Eyes-- Both star Cruz?  That's interesting.  I'm getting intrigued... It'd make for an interesting double feature.

Thunderbolt and Lightfoot-- No, I put my foot down!  There we go...
[/quote]
Open Your Eyes does have Cruz but she's much sexier in her native Spanish tongue (so to speak...)

T&L is a great little road movie and is one of those 70s American films very much of its time. I could recommend 70s American films until my nose bled - Panic In Needle Park, Night Moves, Dog Soldiers (aka Who Will Stop The Rain?), Emperor of the North, Prime Cut, Scarecrow, Straight Time, God Told Me To, The Last Detail... sorry I'll stop now...

Or maybe some of Alejandro Jodorowsky's titles?

Let's do some wholesome DVD spanking.

Emiliana

• Elite Member
  • Life is a Cabaret!
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2010, 05:42:24 AM »
You've convinced me, Em. Reserving it now . . .

Yay!

Em, you convinced me, too.  I'm putting A Letter To Three Wives on my list.

Double Yay!

Verite

• Elite Member
  • Maybach School of Film Studies
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2010, 06:27:48 AM »
T&L is a great little road movie and is one of those 70s American films very much of its time. I could recommend 70s American films until my nose bled - Panic In Needle Park, Night Moves, Dog Soldiers (aka Who Will Stop The Rain?), Emperor of the North, Prime Cut, Scarecrow, Straight Time, God Told Me To, The Last Detail... sorry I'll stop now...

Fat City is one of the best American films of that period, too.
"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2010, 08:04:10 AM »
Vanilla Sky/Open Your Eyes-- Both star Cruz?  That's interesting.  I'm getting intrigued... It'd make for an interesting double feature.

I expect it will be the case that whichever one you watch first will be the "better" one in your mind. It's up to you. I say why not watch the one with Tilda Swinton, Timothy Spall, Cameron Diaz, Kurt Russell, Jason Lee, Michael Shannon and a better soundtrack? Also, it's in English. Also imdb rates it lower so it's likely better.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2010, 01:56:16 AM »
The Brothers Bloom

I watched this for the second time with a dumb smile on my face the whole time.  The first time, Bang Bang enchanted me.  This time, I fell in love with the whole cast.  I understood what was going on, which made me lose some of the mystery, but it was just as good.  The storytelling motif is not just interesting, but important. Oh yeah, this is a keeper.

Technical-- 5/5-- Johnson is an amazing filmmaker.
Interest-- 5/5-- There isn't a frame without something amazing taking place.  Unbelievably entertaining.
Tension-- 3/5-- The tension was certainly less the second time around. But the final scene was still intense.
Emotional 2/5-- This film doesn't really stir my emotions, which is why it won't make my top ten.
Characters 4/5-- Not only was I entertained by these characters, I almost believed in all of them.
Theme 5/5-- The idea of life as story and the power of writing one's own story is excellent.
Ethics 3/5-- Well, conning is bad.  But making sure that everyone gets a benefit from the arrangement is good.  Perhaps it is self-deception on Stephan's part, but interesting to think about.
Personal 1/5-- Didn't really connect personally, but you can't have everything.

1. In America
2. The Dark Knight
3. The Brothers Bloom
4. Raising Arizona
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 02:15:28 AM by oldkid »
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2010, 11:31:32 AM »
I don't get all the people who say this film is too convoluted or confusing. Johnson gives just the right amount of exposition so that the audience is never completely lost but leaves enough unexplained to keep us intrigued.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2010, 12:10:24 PM »
I don't get all the people who say this film is too convoluted or confusing. Johnson gives just the right amount of exposition so that the audience is never completely lost but leaves enough unexplained to keep us intrigued.

I'm often someone making that type of claim but that wasn't my problem with Brothers Bloom. My problem with it was that the characters and their plight weren't interesting in the least to me.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2010, 12:15:37 PM »

I'm often someone making that type of claim but that wasn't my problem with Brothers Bloom. My problem with it was that the characters and their plight weren't interesting in the least to me.
Really? I found it intriguingly meta and an interesting take on the nature of con films.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2010, 01:14:58 PM »
The Brothers Bloom

I watched this for the second time with a dumb smile on my face the whole time.

What more can you ask for? ;)

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2010, 04:10:38 PM »
The Brothers Bloom

I watched this for the second time with a dumb smile on my face the whole time.  The first time, Bang Bang enchanted me.  This time, I fell in love with the whole cast.  I understood what was going on, which made me lose some of the mystery, but it was just as good.  The storytelling motif is not just interesting, but important. Oh yeah, this is a keeper.
Yay!! :)