Author Topic: Oldkid's Ultimately Cool (And Long) Top 100 Marathon  (Read 75501 times)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Oldkid's Ultimately Cool (And Long) Top 100 Marathon
« Reply #80 on: August 05, 2010, 08:38:49 PM »
Okay, I was about to say...watching Tideland with your kid? Gotta draw the line somewhere.

Groundhog Day, now that's a good kid's movie. It's like Bill Murray in the book of Ecclesiastes.  ;D

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #81 on: August 06, 2010, 01:38:19 AM »
You on an Ecclesiastes kick today?  I approve...
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #82 on: August 06, 2010, 10:04:08 AM »
I have been for years.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #83 on: August 06, 2010, 10:15:33 AM »
This too is meaningless. :)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #84 on: August 06, 2010, 10:16:19 AM »
Don't even get me started.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #85 on: August 10, 2010, 09:11:44 PM »
Three Kings

A really fun and intense war film. 

Technical—5/5—Amazing filmmaking.  The filming and special effects were truly the stars of the film.
Interest—4/5—A little slow at first, but it quickly picks up about a third of the way through.
Tension—5/5—Not as much as The Hurt Locker, the other great film about the Iraq War, but still…
Emotional—3/5—Not much, except in the torture scenes.  Those were intense.
Characters—3/5—I saw stars, not real people.  That was George Clooney, Ice Cube and Matt Da… I mean Mark Wahlberg.  Good acting, for celebrities.
Theme—2/5—I think it would be, “War is more complicated than you think.”
Ethics—4/5—Wicked greed surrendered for the good of those who were in real need.  Okay, I like that.
Personal—2/5—Not really a personal connection.

Probably won’t make my top 100, but it was worth considering.  4.5/5 overall.

1. In America
2. Princess Mononoke
3. The Dark Knight
4. Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back
5. Tideland
6. The Brothers Bloom
7. Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope
8. Raising Arizona
9. Adaptation
10. Three Kings

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #86 on: August 10, 2010, 09:21:03 PM »
The Son

Perhaps because Bill dictated this film to me (months ago), I imagine that Bill is somewhat like Oliver, the lead of this film.  Oliver is kind hearted, a carpenter who apprentices boys who are struggling with life.  He himself is touched by tragedy.  For all that, he isn’t soft.  His love is very masculine, very tough.  He also has a bad back.  Just thought I’d mention that last bit.
   His tragedy of the past suddenly is very present and powerful when a boy appears in the center he works in.  He takes the boy on as an apprentice, but there is something wrong, and Oliver is acting strange.
   This film is perfectly presented.  Everything is very real, as we follow Oliver for two days.  Oliver, his ex-wife, the boy they are all spot on and the movie unfolds carefully and slowly, which only adds to the mysteries of it.  Very well done.

Technical—4/5—Everything was done well.  Kind of gritty, which added to the realism.
Interest—3/5—My interest was up and down.  Once I understood what was going on, it was high.  Probably will be higher in my next viewing.
Tension—4/5—Very high at the end.
Emotional—4/5—By the end of the film, I was yelling at it.  Well, I would have been yelling at it if I weren’t in a silent Trappist Monastery.
Characters—5/5—Perfectly realized.  I got to know these people, even though they didn’t say much.
Theme—5/5—Love your enemies even though it’s hard.
Ethics—5/5—Very practical examination of an ethic almost always kept in one’s head.
Personal—3/5—I understood and appreciated the approach although Oliver is very unlike me.

4.5/5 overall

1. In America
2. Princess Mononoke
3. The Dark Knight
5. Tideland
6. The Brothers Bloom
8. The Son (2003)
9. Raising Arizona
10. Adaptation
11. Three Kings

rambler

• I don't object to a reasonable amount of trouble.
« Reply #87 on: August 10, 2010, 09:43:26 PM »
I like your style man.
"It's Subjective": an experiment in why we like what we like
http://www.filmspotting.net/forum/index.php?topic=9585.msg558331#msg558331

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #88 on: August 11, 2010, 02:05:11 AM »
Mister Roberts

This was a recommendation from my wife.  Seeing on the library shelf, I picked it up and we watched it the same day.  Considering that she was ten when she originally saw it, she was surprised to find it was not the heavy drama she remembered it as, but a light comedy about a cargo ship that never sees action, except when they pull into port for leave.  She thought it would be up my alley, but it really wasn’t.  Oh well, it’s always good to try new things.

Technical—3/5 Pretty standard stuff from films of the era.  Nothing special.  But what really stands out is the awful overly-dramatic music.  More than distracting, it completely takes away from the charm of the film.
Interest—3/5—Fun, but not laugh out loud.
Tension—2/5—Not really any tension.  I knew what would happen at the end.
Emotional—2/5—Not much to be emotional about.  They aimed for the heart-strings at the end, but missed.
Characters—4/5—The greatness of this film lies in the performances of the three main characters—Henry Fonda, Jack Lemmon and William Powell.  You could believe everything they say.  Often, like in Some Like It Hot, Lemmon is too excitable, but here he plays it smooth and perfect.  Cagney is clearly in it for a good time, and he could have done it like a Captain Bligh, but he ends up acting like a buffoon.  Sure, he’s having a good time, but not really believable.
Theme—4/5—Greatness in overcoming boredom.
Ethics—4/5—Certainly some questionable acts, but Mister Roberts compassion and readiness to sacrifice his desires for the well being of others is marvelous.
Personal—3/5—I’d like to have the chance to be like Mister Roberts someday.  But not in the Navy, that’s for sure.

Just a lark with a couple great performances.  3.5/5

1. In America
2. Princess Mononoke
3. The Dark Knight
5. Tideland
6. The Brothers Bloom
8. The Son (2003)
9. Raising Arizona
10. Adaptation
11. Three Kings
12. Mister Roberts
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 02:31:38 AM by oldkid »

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #89 on: August 11, 2010, 01:57:13 PM »
The Son

Perhaps because Bill dictated this film to me (months ago), I imagine that Bill is somewhat like Oliver, the lead of this film.  Oliver is kind hearted, a carpenter who apprentices boys who are struggling with life.  He himself is touched by tragedy.  For all that, he isn’t soft.  His love is very masculine, very tough.  He also has a bad back.  Just thought I’d mention that last bit.
   His tragedy of the past suddenly is very present and powerful when a boy appears in the center he works in.  He takes the boy on as an apprentice, but there is something wrong, and Oliver is acting strange.
   This film is perfectly presented.  Everything is very real, as we follow Oliver for two days.  Oliver, his ex-wife, the boy they are all spot on and the movie unfolds carefully and slowly, which only adds to the mysteries of it.  Very well done.

Technical—4/5—Everything was done well.  Kind of gritty, which added to the realism.
Interest—3/5—My interest was up and down.  Once I understood what was going on, it was high.  Probably will be higher in my next viewing.
Tension—4/5—Very high at the end.
Emotional—4/5—By the end of the film, I was yelling at it.  Well, I would have been yelling at it if I weren’t in a silent Trappist Monastery.
Characters—5/5—Perfectly realized.  I got to know these people, even though they didn’t say much.
Theme—5/5—Love your enemies even though it’s hard.
Ethics—5/5—Very practical examination of an ethic almost always kept in one’s head.
Personal—3/5—I understood and appreciated the approach although Oliver is very unlike me.

4.5/5 overall

1. In America
2. Princess Mononoke
3. The Dark Knight
5. Tideland
6. The Brothers Bloom
8. The Son (2003)
9. Raising Arizona
10. Adaptation
11. Three Kings

Glad you loved it my man, at least it sounds like you really liked it and will love it with repeated viewings. In fact I am in a lot of ways like Oliver, so good catch there, especially the bad back.  :D

love