love

Author Topic: Oldkid's Ultimately Cool (And Long) Top 100 Marathon  (Read 75475 times)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Oldkid's Ultimately Cool (And Long) Top 100 Marathon
« Reply #110 on: September 03, 2010, 12:21:47 PM »
I liked it the first time I watched it. After that, it got much worse with each viewing.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #111 on: September 03, 2010, 03:40:35 PM »
I'm glad to see SSFW...&S clicked with you enough to get top 100 consideration.

1. In America
2. Amelie
3. Princess Mononoke
4. The Dark Knight
5. Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back
6. Tideland
7. The Brothers Bloom
8.  I [Heart] Huckabees
9. District 9
10. Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope
11. Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl
12. Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring
13. The Son (2003)
14. Raising Arizona
15. Adaptation
16. Three Kings
17. The Science of Sleep
18. Mister Roberts

Just an observation... I can see that your are ranking these by feeling. Interestingly though, if you take the cumulative value of the criteria listed for each film, the ranking would be completely different.

For example:
Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter.... & Spring = 32
Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl = 24

Were you to calculate this for every film you might come to some interesting conclusions by the end of this marathon regarding what aspects of films are more important to you (if you don't already know). I just think that would be neat. :)

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #112 on: September 03, 2010, 11:50:01 PM »

Just an observation... I can see that your are ranking these by feeling. Interestingly though, if you take the cumulative value of the criteria listed for each film, the ranking would be completely different.

For example:
Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter.... & Spring = 32
Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl = 24

Were you to calculate this for every film you might come to some interesting conclusions by the end of this marathon regarding what aspects of films are more important to you (if you don't already know). I just think that would be neat. :)

Fascinating.  Perhaps I should have two lists--one which adds the various calculations, and one which gets at my core feelings.

Part of this is figuring out why I like these movies, and comparing/contrasting them is part of it. 
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #113 on: September 04, 2010, 02:04:28 AM »
Do The Right Thing

This is a movie about racism.  Well, not just about racism.  Perhaps it’s not about racism, but just about misunderstandings.  Or cross-cultural communication.  Or is it just about a neighborhood?  But wait, it is certainly about violence.  I know that.  I think.

To be honest, I think it has to do with dealing with conflict and the assumption of oppression.  Is there oppression or isn’t there?  There is certainly prejudice, but who has it worst?  And it deals with the tension of race relations that MLK Jr. and Malcolm X dealt with—should violence be used to obtain freedom?  And what kinds of freedoms should we demand?

I know a great movie when I see it.  This is a great movie.  The questions it leaves me with proves it.  I just have a hard time describing what is so great about it.  I need to see this again.

Technical—5/5—Spike Lee is a master filmmaker and knows the excellent people for every aspect of his films.
Interest—4/5—The first half of the film seemed pretty rambling and confused at first, until it all comes together in the second half, which is riveting.
Tension—4/5—An immense amount of tension, especially as tempers explode in the last half hour.
Emotional—4/5—I’m angry with some of the characters and angry at some of the characters, and saddened by the whole situation.  Played me perfectly.

Characters—3/5—There were too many times I asked myself, “Would this character do that?”  The “Mayor” of the neighborhood who was supposed to be a drunk, but he never acted drunk.  Was that on purpose?  The radio deejay who sat there stunned as the riot happened.  Mookie—would he really have thrown that chair?  Why?  But these questions just deepen the idea that I need to know these characters better.  Perhaps it is accepting the assumptions, the subtexts the surroundings give me, that cause misunderstandings.  Maybe if I saw the consistency in these characters, I would know better what they would do.

Theme—5/5—Communication and conflict, and how race relations intensifies that.
Ethics—5/5—This is less of a moral tale and more of a case study.  There are no easy answers provided by the movie, but lots to chew on.
Personal—3/5—I have never dealt with these racial issues in such an intense situation before.  But I recognize the cultural conflict in my own community and wonder how long before it breaks into open violence.

My overall impression is confused.  Certainly this film is great, important, well made and thoughtful.  But did I LIKE it?  I don’t know.  I really don’t.  I’m just throwing it on my list, but it will certainly be in a different place after the next time I experience it.

1. In America
2. Amelie
3. Princess Mononoke
4. The Dark Knight
5. Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back
6. Tideland
7. The Brothers Bloom
8.  I [Heart] Huckabees
9. District 9
10. Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope
11. Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl
12. Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring
13. The Son (2003)
14. Raising Arizona
15. Do The Right Thing
16. Adaptation
17. Three Kings
18. The Science of Sleep
19. Mister Roberts
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 02:13:07 AM by oldkid »

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #114 on: September 04, 2010, 03:13:05 AM »
I'm like totally running a multivariate regression analysis on you component ratings vis a vis overall ranking when you are dine.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #115 on: September 04, 2010, 10:58:50 AM »
That frightens me, Bondo.  Even more so that I'm not sure what you just said.

I think that my components add to my appreciation of a film.  But my list is mostly based on one component: Did I like and enjoy the experience?  This could mean that it left me feeling happy, like Amelie, or that I appreciated the excitement and the thoughts it made me think, like the Dark Knight, or that it gave me an experience that I used in my life, like The Mission.    And so, while both ways of evaluating are ultimately personal, the components are what can be compared to movies.  I think one other thing would have to be included, which is what made this movie special or unique.  Often a film for me can be rated high simply because of that.

Pirates is unique in that it kept me entertained throughout the whole film, each time I saw it.  And I laugh each time because the humor is rather quirky.  But Amelie is better at this same quality.  And since I place my own personal enjoyment as the highest quality, Amelie is over Pirates.  Pirates, at this time, however is over Spring, etc. because all I got out of Spring was some marvelous images and a pretty basic story, although well told.  However, Spring, I believe, is supposed to give more the more you watch it.  Pirates is the opposite.  So I strongly suspect Spring... will end up rising in my estimation over time, while Pirates will go down.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #116 on: September 04, 2010, 06:28:38 PM »

LOL...just read my own post...that's what I get for posting from my phone while hammered.

tinyholidays

• Elite Member
  • It's a hard world for little things.
« Reply #117 on: September 04, 2010, 07:31:58 PM »

LOL...just read my own post...that's what I get for posting from my phone while hammered.

Bondo, I do really want to know what it means that Steve is dine.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #118 on: September 04, 2010, 08:52:26 PM »

Bondo, I do really want to know what it means that Steve is dine.

I wondered if it was some cannibal lingo.

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #119 on: September 05, 2010, 02:06:41 AM »
I will join the others who have expressed confusion over the rankings. Spring... gets 4 5/5's and only 1 2/5, Do the Right Thing 3 5/5's, yet both are ranked lower than Pirates with 1 5/5, and lots of 2/5. It just seems weird.

It is very confusing.  ???