Author Topic: Oldkid's Ultimately Cool (And Long) Top 100 Marathon  (Read 75484 times)

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Oldkid's Ultimately Cool (And Long) Top 100 Marathon
« Reply #210 on: October 01, 2010, 10:38:19 AM »
 ;D

That is all.
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #211 on: October 01, 2010, 10:17:36 PM »
I loved reading this review. I love the movie to death. I even disagree with your technical rating, I find that even if the animation is a bit simplistic at times the art direction is amazing and very well executed. And I will defend the music to the grave. It's great.

But those are small points to hound you on, I totally agree with the rest of your review. Your dissection of the character of Nausicaa is especially great.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #212 on: October 02, 2010, 11:55:32 AM »
Thank you all for the positive responses.

The technical rating is partly because of the early scenes in the movie which seems pretty amateurish, and also because they are explaining to the audience what the world is about, which of course, they wouldn't be doing if they were actually in that world.  The animation seems to take a little bit to hit it's stride.  But by the time we are 20 minutes in the movie, all of that is pretty well forgotten.

Except the music.  I hate the music throughout.  It so draws me out of the film.  And I was a teen in the 80's so you'd think I'd be great with it.  Not at all.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #213 on: October 02, 2010, 08:53:44 PM »
Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs

Originally, CWACOM wasn’t going to make this marathon.  But Mercy and I were talking about what movie to watch and we both agreed that this was the best for today.  Wow, how I love this film.  It is just so fun.

Technical—5/5—Nothing jaw-dropping, but still marvelous animation, visually interesting and great voice acting.  
Interest—5/5—Every moment is filled with humor, most of it laugh-out-loud.  

Tension—3/5—Not really.  But it was fun.
Emotional—3/5—It’s not emotional.  Just fun.
Characters—4/5—The characters are well plotted and well acted.  Generally shallow, but fun.
Theme—4/5—No deep themes, here.  You got the father/son thing.  You got the listen to the woman thing.  You got the slow down and take precautions thing.  But mostly, it’s just about the fun.

STEVE!!

Ethics—4/5—Actually, there’s an ethical message about old traditions and new traditions and balancing them.  But really, it’s about the fun.
Personal—3/5—I suppose I can understand the lack of communication with a father.  But, really, its all about the fun.

Look, there’s nothing deep here.  It’s not a movie for the ages.  But it is great fun.  And sometimes—heck, more than sometimes—fun is enough.

1. Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
2. In America
3. Rear Window
4. Amelie
5. Edward Scissorhands
6. Princess Mononoke
7. The Dark Knight
8. Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back
9. Tideland
10. The Brothers Bloom
11. I [Heart] Huckabees
12. I’m Not There
13. Dog Day Afternoon
14. Brick
15. District 9
16. Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope
17. Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl
18. Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring
19. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
20. The Son (2003)
21. Raising Arizona
22. Do The Right Thing
23. Adaptation
24. Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs
25. Scizopolis
26. Buckaroo Bonzai Across the Eighth Dimension
27. *ucking Amal/Show Me Love
28. Three Kings
29. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
30. The Science of Sleep
31. Scarecrow
32. Fitzcaraldo
33. Harold and Maude
34. Repulsion
35. Mister Roberts
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 08:57:09 PM by oldkid »

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #214 on: October 02, 2010, 09:30:24 PM »
STEVE!

I love your continual mentioning of this movie as "fun". 2009 was an okay year for film, but one of the best things about that year was it gave me Star Trek and Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs. Two films that are not too deep, though emotionally resonant when they need to be (Star Trek moreso). They are both filled with action and humour. And most of all, they are crazy fun from start to finish, and I love watching them whenever I get the chance.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #215 on: October 02, 2010, 10:19:48 PM »
I'm a big fan of what you're doing, and I'm not writing this as an attack, but if you're going to put films like that in your Top 100 there better be about 15-20 disney films - aside from the entire Pixar catalog - coming up later.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
    • justAtad
« Reply #216 on: October 02, 2010, 10:33:21 PM »
I'm a big fan of what you're doing, and I'm not writing this as an attack, but if you're going to put films like that in your Top 100 there better be about 15-20 disney films - aside from the entire Pixar catalog - coming up later.

That's not fair. This is a personal thing. Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs clearly feels a connection to the pure fun offered by many other films. And frankly, I would say Cloudy is at least a better film than two of the Pixar films.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #217 on: October 02, 2010, 10:35:51 PM »

It's funny, but I was thinking exactly this.

Mind you, not necessarily 15-20 Disney, but certainly more animated in general.  There are a number of animated films I love and yet they are not included in my top 100.  After watching CWACOM, I realized that I haven't given my animated list a good chance.  So I'm going to mix more of them in.  Including Disney.  Although, honestly, I'd put CWACOM above all but a handful of Disney.  But still.

EDIT: On the other hand, I never did expect CWACOM to actually make my top 100.  And it won't.  I just put it in because it would make my top 200 and it was being slammed on the "Write About The Last Movie You Watched" thread. 
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 10:38:29 PM by oldkid »

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #218 on: October 02, 2010, 11:00:46 PM »

That's not fair. This is a personal thing.
You're right, and I was trying to find the correct way to express my surprise.  I'm currently doing a similar Top 100 Marathon which is starting with me rejecting beloved films (but not Pixote) and then will transition into defending trash I adore.  Down the road I'll be writing about why Streets of Fire is one of the greatest films ever made, a sentiment I'm sure will cause others to have a similar reaction to my finding Cloudy With a Chance here.  It is a very personal thing and I guess after reading oldkid's reasons I remain very unconvinced of why he liked it enough to include it.  There are a lot of 'fun' movies out there, and I defended his inclusion of Pirates 1 (which is higher than Cloudy), but this one I really don't understand.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
    • justAtad
« Reply #219 on: October 02, 2010, 11:15:08 PM »
I don't understand half the films on your Top 100 of the Decade, 1SO. Steve is hardly the only one here who can choose a film that will make others scratch their heads. Plus, you're wrong anyway. Cloudy is pure awesome distilled into the length of one incredibly beautifully designed and animated film.

love