love

Author Topic: Oldkid's Ultimately Cool (And Long) Top 100 Marathon  (Read 75490 times)

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
Re: Oldkid's Ultimately Cool (And Long) Top 100 Marathon
« Reply #220 on: October 02, 2010, 11:37:39 PM »
It seems, then, 1SO, that your confusion is that I didn't seem to defend my placement of it.  I just didn't express it comparatively, is all.  The fact is, CWACOM is one of the most consistently fun movies I have seen.  I literally laughed every minute of this film, sometimes an LOL, sometimes a quiet smirk, but it really was every moment. 

I appreciate that which makes me laugh.  I deal directly with addiction, mental illness, apathy and death every day.  If a film can so wholeheartedly, so completely take me away from that, even ready to go back to it with a smile on my face, that film deserves high praise from me.  Yep, it's escapism, but for me it is utterly successful.  And I need that escape.

The only reason Pirates gets a higher score is because they have a couple characters that I think are pretty cool and some tension.  Apart from that, my reasons for liking them both are pretty similar.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #221 on: October 02, 2010, 11:48:51 PM »
In Steve's defense, I expect Steve is planning on putting all films that have monkeys named Steve in them on his list. ;D

See, when I think about the two viewings of Cloudy that I've had I totally get the constant funny jokes thing. I love all the visual bits, especially referencing his early failed inventions repeatedly in the film. But I feel like that isn't enough to make a film and the broader emotional tones and the story of the film were either uninteresting or actively repellant to me. The fun of all the successful gags had to be balanced by the anti-fun of the story.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #222 on: October 02, 2010, 11:50:43 PM »
In Steve's defense, I expect Steve is planning on putting all films that have monkeys named Steve in them on his list. ;D

You found me out! 

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #223 on: October 03, 2010, 12:13:15 AM »
Steve Holt!

O wait, wrong thread again.  :P

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #224 on: October 03, 2010, 12:20:20 AM »
It seems, then, 1SO, that your confusion is that I didn't seem to defend my placement of it.  I just didn't express it comparatively, is all.  The fact is, CWACOM is one of the most consistently fun movies I have seen.  I literally laughed every minute of this film, sometimes an LOL, sometimes a quiet smirk, but it really was every moment. 
That works.  Sometimes it's hard to explains what works for us.  I just watched the Chris Rock version of Death at a Funeral, and not only did I find it funnier than the original, I laughed more than during I Love You, Man.  If someone asked me to explain myself I'd be stuck for a convincing answer.

I hope you don't see me as a jerk, and I really do hope you've got some classic Disney coming up.  If you don't, I'm still going to follow along.  We'll always have In America.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #225 on: October 03, 2010, 12:23:18 AM »
That works.  Sometimes it's hard to explains what works for us.  I just watched the Chris Rock version of Death at a Funeral, and not only did I find it funnier than the original, I laughed more than during I Love You, Man.  If someone asked me to explain myself I'd be stuck for a convincing answer.

I hope you don't see me as a jerk, and I really do hope you've got some classic Disney coming up.  If you don't, I'm still going to follow along.  We'll always have In America.

For the record, I'll see you as a jerk enough for both me and Steve.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #226 on: October 03, 2010, 07:26:33 AM »
Down the road I'll be writing about why Streets of Fire is one of the greatest films ever made,

It does have one of the best butterfly knife scenes.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #227 on: October 03, 2010, 02:22:22 PM »
Down the road I'll be writing about why Streets of Fire is one of the greatest films ever made,

It does have one of the best butterfly knife scenes.
That implies there's a better one out there, and there isn't.

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #228 on: October 03, 2010, 03:49:21 PM »
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs is fun.
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #229 on: October 03, 2010, 10:42:31 PM »
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs is fun.

Wow, I wish I had said that.  ;)

love