love

Author Topic: Oldkid's Ultimately Cool (And Long) Top 100 Marathon  (Read 75480 times)

dallegre

Re: Oldkid's Ultimately Cool (And Long) Top 100 Marathon
« Reply #290 on: November 04, 2010, 09:21:35 PM »
I see what you're saying about lack of substance and rewatchability. The film is entertaining as hell though, even if it's purely on spectacle. Plus Jessica Rabbit is one of my all time greatest screen crushes.

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #291 on: November 04, 2010, 09:24:06 PM »
Can't say I agree Steve. Every time I watch Roger Rabbit I fall in love with the film a bit more. It captures noir so well, the blending of the animation always works and I really have a blast with it. It's a great film for sure, and Roger Rabbit remains one of my favorite movies to watch.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #292 on: November 04, 2010, 09:29:02 PM »
I see what you're saying about lack of substance and rewatchability. The film is entertaining as hell though, even if it's purely on spectacle. Plus Jessica Rabbit is one of my all time greatest screen crushes.

Roger Rabbit is more ambitious, but Back to the Future is just that much better. But I do think Roger Rabbit is really awesome and easily rewatchable. Just not to the extent of BttF.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #293 on: November 04, 2010, 09:30:33 PM »

Roger Rabbit is more ambitious, but Back to the Future is just that much better. But I do think Roger Rabbit is really awesome and easily rewatchable. Just not to the extent of BttF.

I'd say the opposite myself. Both are fun, but Rabbit is way more fun. From a technical aspect Rabbit is better across the board, and it is, as you say, more ambitious. That's why I like BttF, but I love Roger Rabbit.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #294 on: November 04, 2010, 10:54:41 PM »
Can't say I agree Steve. Every time I watch Roger Rabbit I fall in love with the film a bit more. It captures noir so well, the blending of the animation always works and I really have a blast with it. It's a great film for sure, and Roger Rabbit remains one of my favorite movies to watch.

That's the reaction I was hoping for, but didn't get  :'(

But I still like it-- it just won't make my top 100 this year.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 11:23:48 PM by oldkid »
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Beavermoose

• Godfather
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
« Reply #295 on: November 04, 2010, 11:13:08 PM »
Roger Rabbit is pretty amazing. I still remember all those late night staying up thinking of Jessica.  ::)

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #296 on: November 04, 2010, 11:36:12 PM »
I've never seen Roger Rabbit. I have a difficult time working up any interest at all.  :-\

Some film IS there to teach ethics, or at least to open up ethical questions or to show an ethical example.  I prefer those, personally, although I can certainly see the greatness in a film like the Godfather that is just observing the ethical downfall of another.  It just won't make my personal top 10.  That's one of the reasons that I have an ethics category in my ratings-- because ethics is an important aspect of film to me.  Not the only one, but one important aspect.
Just trying to understand your approach - are you saying that you prefer those films that teach ethics or model ethics that are compatible with your own?

I like film that deals with ethical issues in a variety of ways.  The Mission, for instance, gives two different ethical approaches to a difficult situation.  It doesn't matter that I prefer one ethical approach over the other, it opens up the discussion, which is what I like the best.  The Decalogue is one of my favorite films on ethics, because it takes something that many people know about and twists it until you feel you have to figure it all out again.

This does not mean that I don't appreciate films that simply present, or forcefully preach, my own ethical point of view, such as Joyeux Noel.  I love that film mostly because I agree with it ethically.

I guess I'm saying I like films that indicate that they give thought to ethics and don't ignore them or hide them.
Never responded to this - oops! Anyway, gotcha. I, too, often really appreciate films that open up some kind of ethical discussion - and yes, as you say, The Decalogue does that beautifully.

michael x

• Elite Member
« Reply #297 on: November 05, 2010, 11:10:09 AM »
Totally agree with you, oldkid. I wanted to like WFRR? but it wasn't funny and the writing and acting in general were extremely weak.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #298 on: November 07, 2010, 01:41:41 PM »
How To Train Your Dragon

This film is like Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs, in that I went with my family to just pass the time, I wasn’t expecting much of it, but it turned out to be such a fun time that I can put it in the running for my top 100.  Look, I really appreciate funny, well told animation films with good characters.  And this film works.  For me, it is probably the best film Dreamworks Animation has produced. 

Not everything works in the film.  Near the end when suddenly all the other students could just ride dragons, in perhaps an hour—I don’t think so.  Some of the student’s characters were just too shallow.  But overall, it is a fun ride.  And it worked for me the second time just as much as the first.

Technical—4/5—Nothing spectacular here, but the computer animation is fully realized and well done.  The script is brilliant and everything works along well with that.
Interest—5/5—Funny, excellent pacing, fun characters and some action.  What a great time at the movies!
Tension—4/5—Because I fully believed in Hiccup’s teen drama, I really felt for his situations.  Especially when the town found out he’d been keeping a dragon.  That was intense.

Emotional—3/5—Okay, it was a little dusty eyed when his father accepted him and when it looked like he was dead.  I’m a softy, sometimes, okay?
Characters—3/5—Sometimes they worked, sometimes they didn’t.  Hiccup and his father were excellent.  The one scene after his father returned and Hiccup was some hero and they were trying to have a “real talk”…that was perfect.  So uncomfortable.  Many of the characters didn’t work.  Hiccups love interest sometimes worked, but the other students not at all. Hiccup’s boss and teacher—sure, he was great.  But the focus on Hiccup was great—he was the one really fleshed out character and since the movie was told from his perspective, that’s all that’s needed.

Theme—5/5—Hidden talents and the power of understanding
Ethics—5/5—How To Train is like a fantasy movie version of one of my favorite books, The Anatomy of Peace.  Both speak to how one deals with an enemy, even a violent enemy.  There is a reason for the violence, and if we can appreciate the reasoning faculty of those who harm us and speak to them on their level, then peace might be achieved.  This film is a great, if simplified, illustration of that.
Personal—4/5—Look, I was once an awkward teen boy, not knowing how I’d fit in.  Yeah, that works.

It’s not a perfect film, but it’s got a lot going for it, and, frankly, I really enjoyed my time with it.  I don’t know if it deserves a place on my top 100, but it will certainly be seen in my top animated next year.

1. Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
2. In America
3. Rear Window
4. Amelie
5. The Red Shoes
6. Edward Scissorhands
7. Princess Mononoke
8. The Dark Knight
9. Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back
10. Tideland
11. The Brothers Bloom
12. I [Heart] Huckabees
13. I’m Not There
14. Close Encounters of the Third Kind
15. Dog Day Afternoon
16. Brick
17. District 9
18. Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope
19. Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl
20. Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring
21. 50 First Dates
22. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
23. Rachel Getting Married
24. The Godfather
25. The Son (2003)
26. Raising Arizona
27. How To Train A Dragon
28. Do The Right Thing
29. Adaptation
30. Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs
31. Scizopolis
32. Buckaroo Bonzai Across the Eighth Dimension
33. Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai
34. *ucking Amal/Show Me Love
35. Three Kings
36. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
37. The Science of Sleep
38. Grizzly Man
39. Who Framed Roger Rabbit?
40. Scarecrow
41. Fitzcaraldo
42. Zelig
43. Harold and Maude
44. Repulsion
45. Mister Roberts
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #299 on: November 07, 2010, 01:44:36 PM »
Why do you have a picture of the video game?