Author Topic: Oldkid's Ultimately Cool (And Long) Top 100 Marathon  (Read 75433 times)

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
Re: Oldkid's Ultimately Cool (And Long) Top 100 Marathon
« Reply #440 on: April 01, 2011, 04:10:02 PM »
Countdown update:
Added films in bold. 

Also, there has been enough time elapsed since I began the marathon that I had to make some adjustments for accuracy.  Any film I had to move is in italics.

1.   Finding Nemo
2.   Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
3.   In America
4.   To Kill A Mockingbird
5.   Rear Window
6.   Amelie
7.   The Red Shoes
8.   Edward Scissorhands
9.   Princess Mononoke
10.   The Dark Knight
11.   Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back
12.   Tideland
13.   Red Beard
14.   The Brothers Bloom
15.   I [Heart] Huckabees
16.   Citizen Kane
17.   I’m Not There
18.   Toy Story 2
19.   Close Encounters of the Third Kind
20.   Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring (up 5 places)
21.   The Man Without A Past
22.   The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp
23.   Dog Day Afternoon
24.   Brick
25.   District 9
26.   Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope
27.   Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl
28.   50 First Dates
29.   Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
30.   The Secret of Kells
31.   Rachel Getting Married
32.   Wild Strawberries
33.   Synecdoche, New York
34.   The Godfather
35.   Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai (up 5 places)
36.   The Son (2003)
37.   Raising Arizona
38.   Shaun of the Dead
39.   Do The Right Thing
40.   Adaptation
41.   Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs
42.   Exit Through The Gift Shop
43.   Scizopolis
44.   Buckaroo Bonzai Across the Eighth Dimension
45.   How To Train A Dragon (Down 10 places)
46.   *ucking Amal/Show Me Love
47.   The Big Lebowski
48.   The Big Sleep
49.   Black Narcissus
50.   The Apartment
51.   Three Kings
52.   Y Tu Mama Tambien
53.   The White Ribbon
54.   Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
55.   The Science of Sleep
56.   Grizzly Man
57.   Who Framed Roger Rabbit?
58.   Scarecrow
59.   Fitzcaraldo
60.   Zelig
61.   Harold and Maude
62.   Repulsion
63.   The Philadelphia Story
64.   Mister Roberts
65.   It Happened One Night
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #441 on: April 01, 2011, 04:11:01 PM »
I agree with all of that review.
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #442 on: April 01, 2011, 04:11:58 PM »

Did you see I moved Ghost Dog up five spots?

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #443 on: April 01, 2011, 04:20:04 PM »
Awesome! Finding Nemo really is a beautiful story. And unlike so many other Disney films, the death of a parent at the beginning is important for more than just adding the touch of loneliness. That scene changes the character and the rest of the film is his journey to learning to live life to the fullest even in the shadow of that tragic incident. It's handled with such a delicate and real touch. Amazing stuff.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #444 on: April 01, 2011, 04:31:38 PM »
[It is interesting that a significant part of the story is Nemo learning from Gil what Marlin couldn’t teach him.  It isn’t that Marlin didn’t get Nemo back, but Gil is just as important to Nemo’s growth as Marlin was. 

You hardly need me to validate this opinion, but the above statement really shed some light on a part of the film I never thought about before. It's right there when Gil orders the rest of the Tank Gang to not help and then instructs Nemo out. Nemo needs someone like Gil who believes in his abilities. Great observation.

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #445 on: April 01, 2011, 04:53:03 PM »
Finding Nemo

I think it's great because it's the only Pixar film that doesn't follow the good guy/bad guy scenario. It's an adventure from beginning to end, and the characters that are met on the journey are enlightening to the main characters.

Great review
Masterpiece (100-91) | Classic (90-80) | Entertaining (79-69) | Mediocre (68-58) | Cinemuck (57-21) | Crap (20-0)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #446 on: April 01, 2011, 05:10:33 PM »
5's across the board, nice :)

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #447 on: April 01, 2011, 05:11:30 PM »

Did you see I moved Ghost Dog up five spots?

Actually, I didn't:

I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #448 on: April 02, 2011, 11:01:41 AM »
I wish it were February instead of April... (no, not really...)

Groundhog Day

No use hiding it.  Groundhog Day is a master achievement in entertainment.   Not only is it one of the funniest comedies (according to the AFI) and one of the most interesting fantasies (also according to the AFI), but it is one of the most intellectually stimulating films, all put on the lower shelf so that even kids can appreciate it and understand the main points.

Technical—4/5—The cinematography is nothing special.  Well, at times it looks like a TV movie.  But the comedic acting, especially by Bill Murry is fantastic.  It’s pretty well done, overall.

Interest—5/5—If you think about it, the idea of someone reliving one average day in a small town has got to be the most dull subject anyone has thought of (apart from spending five days with a guy who is stuck under a rock).  However, it is never boring. The comedy remains top notch throughout the film.  It has many laugh out loud moment and a number of just silly moments. It is sometimes touching, sometimes frustrating.  But you never want to turn away. 

Tension—4/5—The highest tension of the film is the question of how Phil can use this life paradigm to get out of the time loop.  He is just guessing and he tries many different ways and just when we think he’s got it… Sonny and Cher sing again.  What an ultimate sign of failure—hearing “I’ve Got You, Babe” at six in the morning. 

Emotional—4/5—I don’t have any deep emotions, but I want to start yelling at the god of the film: “What does this guy have to do?  Is he just stuck?  Why should he live this way?  And how can you possibly keep this from getting boring?”

Characters—4/5—Most of the characters are just throwaway, part of the scenery.  Really, this movie is all about the character arc of Phil Conners, weatherman, almost a one man show.  But Bill Murry is one of the few that can pull this particular character off.  And he does.  It is almost a miracle, but he does.

Theme—5/5—The entire film is a thought experiment.  You can hear the scriptwriter saying, “What would you do if you had to relive a random day of your life over and over again?  And it is just an average day, an average town and average people.”  Phil, although a bit more of a jerk than we all pretend to be, is us.  We have to think for ourselves, “What would I do?”  Thus, the film becomes a query about how we live our own average lives, in our own average towns, with our own average people.

Ethics—5/5—And in the end, the film doesn’t just answer how we should live one day of our lives, but how we should live everyday.  The ultimate question of ethics is: “What is the good life?” and this film strives to answer that.  The good life, the goal of Phil’s quest, is to live for others.  The greatest benefit to oneself is to do good for those around you.

Personal—4/5—I am Phil.  And if you were honest, you’d see Phil in yourself as well.  And his quest should be our quest, it’s just that usually we are so caught up in the everyday minor dramas that we don’t have Phil’s luxury of time to meditate on what the best life would be.  Perhaps I should take more time for that.

What a great film.  It is so much fun and so thoughtful.  The perfect sermon, the perfect entertainment.  And one I love to rewatch.  Yeah, it’ll make my top 50, I bet.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #449 on: April 02, 2011, 11:52:37 AM »
Yup, it's a fantastic film. I disagree about some of the characters being throwaway. I think some of the side-characters are actual rather interesting in their own way.

love