Author Topic: Oldkid's Ultimately Cool (And Long) Top 100 Marathon  (Read 75467 times)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Oldkid's Ultimately Cool (And Long) Top 100 Marathon
« Reply #520 on: June 16, 2011, 12:34:02 PM »
I've seen it twice and while there's a lot of craft to admire there, I just don't care for the story and Paltrow is such a wasted character.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #521 on: June 16, 2011, 12:35:21 PM »
Pitt’s wife, -, was the worst

Did you blank on Paltrow's name, or is this a commentary on how forgettable she is?

I was supposed to follow up and get the name.  I suppose it really is a commentary at how I forget things.  :-[

And Sam, I completely agree.  I thought the story was okay, just nothing there to chew on.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #522 on: June 16, 2011, 12:47:43 PM »
You know I don't agree, but I don't see mounting an argument against your belief that the film lacks depth. What surprised me most was this...

It gave too many hints, and just played out too predictably.

Se7en's biggest claim to immortality is the last 2 sins. You feel you know where everything is headed and then it ends in this explosive double-whammy. I would go so far as to say from the moment 'he' gets out of the cab, Se7en leaves predictability completely in the dust.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #523 on: June 16, 2011, 01:14:02 PM »
I actually agree with the review, though maybe I like it a slight bit more. I give it a solid 4/5 but found it just not deep enough in its interaction about the sins and the moral questions to be completely fulfilling.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #524 on: June 16, 2011, 01:21:47 PM »
"Why spend time on Paltrow (an empty character that does nothing to further the plot) unless she is going to be used in the final scene?  Yep, she's dead."  This is what I was thinking long before the final scene.  And the final two sins were anger and pride and he was going to pin one on Pitt.  The only thing I didn't know is if Pitt was going to kill him or not.

It was predictable to me, anyway.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 01:31:14 PM by oldkid »

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #525 on: June 16, 2011, 01:25:57 PM »
My main problem was with the justification of Paltrow's character's death. Everyone else who dies is allegedly guilty of a sin except for her. It kind of makes the whole house of cards fall down of John Doe being a misguided moralist.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #526 on: June 16, 2011, 01:33:50 PM »
And that's one of the problems with the film.  This guy is supposed to be a genius serial killer.  But in the end, he's just a serial killer, and he just gets off on death.  There's no great underlying justification or anything.  And Kevin Spacey played him like a crazy guy-- typical serial killer.  Just wasn't unique enough.

I like the film.  I gave it a 4/5 as well (although it'd be a low 4).  Fincher did a fantastic job.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #527 on: June 16, 2011, 04:17:39 PM »
This seems like a pretty fair assessment. I can't really argue with what oldkid or Bondo are saying.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #528 on: June 17, 2011, 02:16:59 AM »
Teminator 2: Judgment Day

Technical—5/5—When I saw this film in the theatre years ago, I was stunned by it’s use of special effects.  It still looks good, but nothing special.  What I want to know is how did Cameron make it look so shiny and campy at the same time?  That takes skill.

Interest—5/5—It was a romp.  Nothing in depth.  It’s really a kids action movie.  And that is perfect.

Tension—5/5—The first time I saw this film I thought my heart was going to explode by the end of it.  Not so much now, but it is so well paced and builds up the characters so well and the stakes are so high that you feel it.

Emotional—4/5—Dang, where did that mist come from?  I’m not really upset because the robot is leaving the kid, am I?  We need to get a dehumidifier…

Characters—4/5—All the characters are one note.  You got the action hero mom, the robot/alien having to learn about living as a human, and the kid as the victim/hero.  What Cameron does so well is take movie stereotypes and turn them into excellently told stories.  It’s a fairy tale, but a good one.

Theme—2/5—I must have missed the theme between the explosions.

Ethics—5/5—One aspect of this film that is never dealt with in other action films is the loss of life.  The kid puts Arnold under a restriction that he isn’t to take a human life.  This leads to some pretty funny, unexpected situations.  But it also communicates the point that it isn’t easy to save life when you’ve got power and goals.  It is easier to kill without remorse to accomplish the goals.  It takes creativity and extra work to bring people with you to the tomorrow you want to build.

Personal—2/5—I never had a robot come from the future to save ME.  What a boring childhood I had.

What fun!  I don’t know if it’ll make my top 100 in reality, but it will be there in spirit.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #529 on: June 17, 2011, 02:35:48 AM »
I don’t know if it’ll make my top 100 in reality, but it will be there in spirit.

That's a great line. Really wonderful.