love

Author Topic: Song in a Movie Moment Contest Winners  (Read 18239 times)

flip89

Re: Song in a Movie Moment Contest Winners
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2010, 02:36:19 PM »
Cool!  What did I win?

- Ken Ilio whose choice was this:

Rain Drops keep falling on my head

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2010, 05:20:39 PM »
I put the prize info in the first post of this thread.  Congratulations to all of you!
Texan Down Under

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2010, 06:03:44 PM »
I knew I should have gone with What Would Brian Boitano Do? from South Park.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

Robert L

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2010, 06:15:28 PM »
Since Matty did not share my entry, I will do so below.

My most memorable movie music moment is Kermit singing “Rainbow Connection” in the 1979 film, The Muppet Movie.  Please allow me to explain.

I graduated from High School in 1979 from a Department of Defense School at Incirlik Air Force Base in Turkey in a class of 19 (I was a military brat).  We all had our dreams of getting back to the states, going to college and making something out of our lives.  Not long after we graduated, The Muppet Movie came to our one screen theater on base.   All the movies that came to the base theater were seen by just about everyone, and often more than one.  However, when those of us in high school saw the poster for the Muppet movie in the “Coming Soon” window, we were all ecstatic.

In order to understand this high level of anticipation by a bunch of high schoolers to the coming of a movie about puppets, one has to understand the culture (if you can call it that) of military brats.  Most of the overseas U.S. Armed Forces bases that had dependents living on them also had Armed Forces radio and TV stations.  For us at Incirlik, the first show that aired every day on our TV station was the Muppet Show.  Everyone in high school watch it and we used it as a cultural reference often quoting it and almost always doing a Miss Piggy karate chop as a joke when the opportunity arose.

The anticipation for us to see some of our favorite TV characters on the big screen was almost overwhelming.  So needless to say (but I’m going to say it anyway) the first screening at the theater was full of teenagers.  We were blown away.  Seeing Kermit sitting and singing in the swamp without any evidence of being controlled made him seem more real than he did on the show.

To top all of that off, there was the song, “Rainbow Connection.”  It spoke to me in a way a song in a movie had never done so before.  This song is about hopes and dreams.  It sets the stage for Kermit’s spiritual adventure.   It set the stage for my spiritual adventure that continues today.

The song begins in a negative tone, causing one to believe that Kermit is about to state that wishing and dreaming are foolish things.  But the mood of the song changes and even ends up telling us that we can do anything and that being a dreamer is the first step toward that end.

Because of this music movie moment, I am still reminded that we are never too old to be dreamers and to pursue those dreams.  I have two copies of this song on my IPod so there is a greater likelihood of it coming up on shuffle.  And when I hear it, I am reminded about those voices I still hear when I am half asleep that are calling my name just as the sweet sounds that call my name too many times to ignore.

PAX,

Rev. Robert Lewis +
Damascus, MD

Muppet Movie - The Rainbow Connection
"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." Inigo Montoya

love