love

Author Topic: Filmspotters' Top 100 Directors 2010 : Discussion & Suggestions  (Read 22512 times)

worm@work

• Godfather
Pls post any suggestions here.

Here's what you need to do. PM me a ranked list of 50 directors by November 30th, 2010.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 03:29:58 PM by pixote »

Jared

• Elite Member
Re: Filmspotters' Top 100 Directors 2010 : Discussion & Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 12:08:23 PM »
Asked this in the thread within the Top 5 lists section, but how do people feel about directors primarily known for short films?

Stan Brakhage would definately be on my list, and there are plenty of others, such as Tex Avery and Kenneth Anger that might crack my top 50 or whatever.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 12:14:05 PM »
Asked this in the thread within the Top 5 lists section, but how do people feel about directors primarily known for short films?

I don't think there is an eligibility issue, just may not get enough support. My basic guideline is a director needs to have more than one film that I have high regard for. I am counting short films in this in order to qualify Martin McDonagh.

Wilson

• Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 12:15:48 PM »
Isn't this a tad early? Given the top 100 discussion and such will be open v.soon

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 12:25:16 PM »
Isn't this a tad early? Given the top 100 discussion and such will be open v.soon

Couldn't we do them in tandem? I mean, for Best of Decade we had a dozen categories going, not just film and director. Is it a heavy workload outside the respective organizers that we can't do both at once? I suppose to the degree that people feel compelled to catch up on stuff, but presumably there would be a lot of overlap for that.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 12:30:07 PM by Bondo »

GothamCity151

• Godfather
  • Join us!
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 12:41:33 PM »

Couldn't we do them in tandem? I mean, for Best of Decade we had a dozen categories going, not just film and director. Is it a heavy workload outside the respective organizers that we can't do both at once? I suppose to the degree that people feel compelled to catch up on stuff, but presumably there would be a lot of overlap for that.

It may be too tall of an order, but if they are done in tandem, may I suggest a top 100 performances list.

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 12:55:55 PM »

Stan Brakhage would definately be on my list, and there are plenty of others, such as Tex Avery and Kenneth Anger that might crack my top 50 or whatever.

if the list is 50 Chris Cunningham will likely make mine.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 01:00:33 PM »

It may be too tall of an order, but if they are done in tandem, may I suggest a top 100 performances list.

Performances are overrated. I was thinking that a Documentaries list would be good to do at some point as a complement to the Animated list. I don't know that we need a Foreign list because plenty of those will be on the main list (far more than Animated or Documentary certainly).

Beavermoose

• Godfather
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2010, 01:09:18 PM »
I agree docs would be a good idea. Maybe a top 50 though.

Jared

• Elite Member
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2010, 01:14:27 PM »
I wouldnt participate in a performances list personally.

While I love a lot of non-English movies, I dont feel remotely qualified to compare performances where the tones and idiosyncracies of speech are reduced to subtitles. Seeing people that Ive seen in a dozen performances (Ullman, Mifune, Gabin) makes it a little easier, but still.

Documentaries or Short Films would be fun. Or by decade top 100s or something like that.