love

Author Topic: Filmspotters' Top 100 Directors 2010 : Discussion & Suggestions  (Read 22516 times)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Filmspotters' Top 100 Directors 2010 : Discussion & Suggestions
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2010, 01:18:37 PM »
I also wouldn't participate in performances...I phoned it in for the BoD. I can handle Filmspots but beyond that it is not something I can really deal with. We had talked about a Short Film Bracket which might be a good substitute for a Top 100 because I doubt most of us have seen so many shorts (or at least not comprehensively or in a shared sense) to have a viable top 100. I think shorts is an area where discovery is more than honoring. Going back decade by decade with a Best of Decade format might be interesting. Perhaps we can do one each spring? I think more than one per year might be overwhelming.

I agree docs would be a good idea. Maybe a top 50 though.

We'll see which number makes sense, anyway, I'll take this one on once the Directors/Films/Animated is all wrapped up...maybe I can fit it in before Filmspots. As someone who has seen most of the Top 100 Films and Animated, I think Docs would be a good source of more things I haven't seen.

worm@work

• Godfather
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2010, 01:44:24 PM »
Isn't this a tad early? Given the top 100 discussion and such will be open v.soon

I don't intend to do this till after the Top 100 is done. I just started the threads since people seemed to be discussing ideas already and it's easier for me to keep track if things remain on one thread.
Also figured there's a reasonable amount of overlap between the top 100 films and directors in terms of things people might want to catch up on etc.
Don't at all mean to take away from the excitement of the Top 100 films (not like anything can, really :D).

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2010, 01:19:00 PM »
I'd be happy to participate in this.  I missed out on the last one.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

worm@work

• Godfather
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2010, 01:56:12 PM »
I was thinking of doing this sometime around the middle to end of November or early December. Does that sound reasonable? I was thinking of a ballot of 50. That being said, people can obviously submit shorter ballots. If anyone feels like the individual ballots should be shorter/longer, pls post your suggestions with reasoning. None of this is set in stone or anything.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2010, 01:57:49 PM »
That sounds great.  I wonder if the director list might be a little tighter-- like 30-40?
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2010, 02:25:25 PM »
I was thinking of doing this sometime around the middle to end of November or early December. Does that sound reasonable? I was thinking of a ballot of 50. That being said, people can obviously submit shorter ballots. If anyone feels like the individual ballots should be shorter/longer, pls post your suggestions with reasoning. None of this is set in stone or anything.

Err.. Already posted a top 100 which was quite fun to put together using a criteria that the director had to have three good films that I had seen. I found a lot of forgotten gems doing it that way. I never really cared who directed what as I watched films when I was younger. I used imdb to look up films I knew I liked but was vague about the director, then looked at the filmography to see what else I knew and liked. I had to reject so many on the basis I hadn't seen enough; particularly in that World Cinema category but it didn't take long to find 100. Might be a sign of age that I've seen so many films. I'd say my knowledge of film is long rather than broad. ;D
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2010, 03:32:11 PM »
So are we going to do this on a similar voting method to the top 100 Animation? When would voting have to be in by?

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2010, 03:34:55 PM »
That sounds great.  I wonder if the director list might be a little tighter-- like 30-40?

Or have tiers.

Tier 1: director appeared on at least 75% of ballots and has a minimum of X points
Tier 2: director appeared on at least 50% of ballots and has a minimum of X points
Tier 3: director appeared on at least 25% of ballots and has a minimum of X points

Or some such thing. You'd still rank them 1 to 100, but the tiers would give 'em little context. Know what I mean?

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2010, 03:35:57 PM »
Popularity is overrated.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2010, 03:36:44 PM »
I think the majority would disagree with that statement. ;)

love